Player Discussion Casey Mittelstadt (2017, 8th) - Signed, #37 - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Keep waiting to see Mitts in the gym on instagram but it’s always friends or video games. Not saying he’s not hitting the gym hard but.....
I just went through both his twitter and instagram, and this seems to be a bit of an overstatement.

Dahlin 2 Eichel

Sep 21, 2013
Roaming The Sewers
Lol some posters here remind me of the troll calling out BoGo on twitter because he doesn’t post any pics of himself training in the offseason so he is obviously not working out or training. BoGo had some nice words for the simpleton.

Reactions: Goathead

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
I was also thinking about what a grind this season had to be for him.

His last three seasons ...

16-17 -> High School hockey and 24 USHL games
17-18 -> 34gms with Minnesota and 6gms in NHL.
18-19 -> 77gms in the NHL

My hope is he comes back next season stronger and recharged.
my suspicians say he's going to be a much more productive player for us next year... this past season there were flashes. He looks like a real bulldog out there with a lot of skill. it's only a matter of time before he puts that skillset together with the knowledge of knowing how to play in the league.

Reactions: joshjull

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
I think it's pretty normal for players to take a month or so off after the season. I think it's especially important for him, he's never been through a season like this. Let's hope he takes the summer seriously when his training regiment begins.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
my suspicians say he's going to be a much more productive player for us next year... this past season there were flashes. He looks like a real bulldog out there with a lot of skill. it's only a matter of time before he puts that skillset together with the knowledge of knowing how to play in the league.

Yep. There are flashes -- his pursuit and stick lifts on the backcheck, his desire to retrieve the puck, plus the ability to distribute and shoot... looking forward to those skills shining as his body matures. If we use someone like Scheifele's development as a model, he could be viewed as being ahead of where Mark was at the same age but behind someone like Monahan. His production should uptick this coming season with the benefits of another summer of training and better knowledge of how to prepare and play.

It would be interesting to see if the next coach puts Reinhart with him, since there was a noticeable advantage to that deployment compared to Casey with anyone else. Getting better shot share and having a more consistent producing winger to lean on should drive some more production for him as well. If we're going to take the long-game approach, perhaps looking to someone like Mark Scheifele's development as a possible expectation in how Casey might progress. Sean Monahan had a significant jump in his output in his second NHL season (D+2) and that might be more ambitious as a model, but Scheifele's D+3 was his first full NHL season. Eh... just trying to project how some young centers developed is probably a futile thought exercise since they are unique, but I could get behind Mitts bumping up into the 30-40 point range next year.

Reactions: MrMaster

toomuchsauce

Jan 7, 2015
He skates like Marcus Foligno and he handles the puck like he's chopping up eggs and onions at Benihana (which is to say, skillfully, but...choppy...ie, he's not Philip Forsberg). I would like to use Philip Forsberg as a comparison, but I don't think Mittelstadt is actually that good. He has good vision and good instincts, but he can't skate well enough to create offense at the NHL level, and he isn't slick enough with the puck to be a Datsyuk- or Forsberg-type player in the NHL. That's his style, but, unless he starts taking PEDs, he's probably just a decent 30-40 point depth player.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
He should be working on his skating like his ****ing career depends on it.

Very few pros approach their off season by getting on the ice this soon.

Stage 1 - Rest and recover
Stage 2 - Early off season S&C work
Stage 3 - Mid off season S&C work + on ice skill work
Stage 4 - Late off season S&C work + on ice skill work + scrimmages
Stage 5 - Training camp

Reactions: Fezzy126 and DJN21

Doohickie

Ft Worth (from Bflo)
Feb 16, 2013
It would be interesting to see if the next coach puts Reinhart with him, since there was a noticeable advantage to that deployment compared to Casey with anyone else.

Assuming Skinner stays on Jack's line, I wouldn't mind seeing Olofsson - Mitts - Reino.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Assuming Skinner stays on Jack's line, I wouldn't mind seeing Olofsson - Mitts - Reino.

I could see Jeff or VO on either left-wing. Reinhart’s numbers with and without Jack are pretty insignificantly varied, he drives the bus regardless of who his center is. Of course the other crazy option would be to put Skinner with Casey, put VO with Jack and us Reinhart as the other center. Regardless, they need some wing help at the pro level.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
He skates like Marcus Foligno and he handles the puck like he's chopping up eggs and onions at Benihana (which is to say, skillfully, but...choppy...ie, he's not Philip Forsberg). I would like to use Philip Forsberg as a comparison, but I don't think Mittelstadt is actually that good. He has good vision and good instincts, but he can't skate well enough to create offense at the NHL level, and he isn't slick enough with the puck to be a Datsyuk- or Forsberg-type player in the NHL. That's his style, but, unless he starts taking PEDs, he's probably just a decent 30-40 point depth player.

YMC6hSf.gif

Reactions: DJN21

MrMaster

Apr 20, 2016
Are you mental? He's a fantastic skater.

Reactions: DJN21

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
It's April. He absolutely should be vacationing.

I said the same thing last year, the kid never put the work in and came into camp out of shape. I don’t care what he does in April. But, if he comes to camp with a beer gut again that’s going to be concerning. I personally don’t think he has the same mind set of a guy like Jack, Rasmus and Sam. He just strikes me so much as a “bro”.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Mittelstadt isn’t untouchable IMO. If a youngish big time guy became available. Say Zach Werenski or something I’d package him.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Mittelstadt isn’t untouchable IMO. If a youngish big time guy became available. Say Zach Werenski or something I’d package him.

Yeah, there is a very short list of truly untouchables on this team (Dahlin, Jack). Everyone else could be had at the right return.

Reactions: Goathead

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
I said the same thing last year, the kid never put the work in and came into camp out of shape. I don’t care what he does in April. But, if he comes to camp with a beer gut again that’s going to be concerning. I personally don’t think he has the same mind set of a guy like Jack, Rasmus and Sam. He just strikes me so much as a “bro”.
His physique reminds me of Phil Kessel - except Phil made it work. Mittelstadt has to earn the right to show up looking like a dough boy.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
His physique reminds me of Phil Kessel - except Phil made it work. Mittelstadt has to earn the right to show up looking like a dough boy.
When Mitts can skate like Kessel (speed-wise) then sure. This is a genetics thing, maybe impacted by Kessel's testical cancer as well. If Mitts can't skate like the wind all day while looking pudgy I don't see how he'd ever be able to.

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
When Mitts can skate like Kessel (speed-wise) then sure. This is a genetics thing, maybe impacted by Kessel's testical cancer as well. If Mitts can't skate like the wind all day while looking pudgy I don't see how he'd ever be able to.
I didn't mean to indirectly poke fun at anything as serious cancer. I didn't realize Kessel had gone through that kind of battle. My apologies for any insensitivity on my part.

I agree with you about Mitts speed. He needs to be faster and he needs to work on his endurance. I sure hope he puts the work in this offseason.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Yeah, there is a very short list of truly untouchables on this team (Dahlin, Jack). Everyone else could be had at the right return.

I don’t believe in untouchables, but those are the two I couldn’t see trading. There’s zero chance Mittelstadt sound be untouchable.

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
Yep. There are flashes -- his pursuit and stick lifts on the backcheck, his desire to retrieve the puck, plus the ability to distribute and shoot... looking forward to those skills shining as his body matures. If we use someone like Scheifele's development as a model, he could be viewed as being ahead of where Mark was at the same age but behind someone like Monahan. His production should uptick this coming season with the benefits of another summer of training and better knowledge of how to prepare and play.

It would be interesting to see if the next coach puts Reinhart with him, since there was a noticeable advantage to that deployment compared to Casey with anyone else. Getting better shot share and having a more consistent producing winger to lean on should drive some more production for him as well. If we're going to take the long-game approach, perhaps looking to someone like Mark Scheifele's development as a possible expectation in how Casey might progress. Sean Monahan had a significant jump in his output in his second NHL season (D+2) and that might be more ambitious as a model, but Scheifele's D+3 was his first full NHL season. Eh... just trying to project how some young centers developed is probably a futile thought exercise since they are unique, but I could get behind Mitts bumping up into the 30-40 point range next year.

I don't think it would be unreasonable to expect a 40-50 point season from Casey in 19-20. Not sure how to compare his development to schiefele or Monahan just because they are such different types of players than mitts, but I guess schief would be the closest. Monahan is a netfront guy and schiefele has turned into kind of a more goal oriented wheeler clone (makes sense w them playing together).

as far as future expectations are concerned I'd put him at or near the same level as schief. Monahan just isn't on the same tier. I don't he drives a line by himself, and with the way league scoring went this year, I wouldnt be surprised if he regressed quite a bit statistically in the coming years (Monahan).

I'd be surprised if Casey isn't scoring 30 by year 3. Maybe that's a bold statement. I don't think it is.

as far as line combos go Casey did seem to work well with Sam. But the real drooler for me was seeing him play with nylander for the whopping one game Phil decided to throw them on the same line. Some real fireworks there, players that could complement each other for years to come.

I hope this makes sense, writing it from my phone watching canes v isles

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
With no head coach in place, is there anyone in the organization that's going to set him up on a summer workout program?

He has a ton of work to do physically.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
With no head coach in place, is there anyone in the organization that's going to set him up on a summer workout program?

He has a ton of work to do physically.
They have an entire department dedicated to this type of stuff. The head coach, or lack thereof, should have absolutely nothing to do with it.

Reactions: Rasmi and DJN21
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad