Player Discussion Casey Mittelstadt (2017, 8th) #37 - Part III

FloridaSabresFan

Nov 5, 2019
If we had done the smart thing and left him in college to continue developing, all the desperate hand-wringing right now would be about his perceived imminent bailout to sign with another team following his senior season in 20-21.
He also could have went to the AHL from college. I don't understand why Botts is being so stubborn about it.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
If we had done the smart thing and left him in college to continue developing, all the desperate hand-wringing right now would be about his perceived imminent bailout to sign with another team following his senior season in 20-21.

There is always hand wringing about collegiate picks. What is never mentioned is how very rare it is for early draftees to go that route --- it's been about 12 years since the last one. That they signed him when they did is fine. That they gave him an audition in which he managed to pop in some points, usually with easy competition and favorable deployment (and with Jack) is what it was. The bigger problem is how they gave him a roster spot last season and how that has continued on into this season without any sign of improvement. He's almost a full-year overdue to be sent down to get his game moving in the right direction. That troubles me way more than the signing.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
He also could have went to the AHL from college. I don't understand why Botts is being so stubborn about it.
My guess is that assurances were made to the player that he wouldn’t spend time in Rochester and that’s how they got him to sign. I can’t think of any other reason why he would be seemingly AHL-proof.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
As Casey Mittelstadt struggles at the NHL level, many of his... (paywall)

Mittelstadt quotes from the article

“I mean, just keep a positive attitude. It hasn’t been too bad. I don’t know, just keep a positive attitude, keep working hard. Things usually work out, so I’ll be fine. Some nights I have some really good games, then some pretty bad games, too. I’m here, so yeah, I think I’m ready. Obviously, there’s some things I need to work on, some things I need to get better at, but just keep working. It’s always came for me, so I’ll stick with that.”

Orange Fanta

Jun 22, 2016
Crazy to think i had casey and cale makar as the highest ceiling and lowest floor players of their draft class (Ep i had with a lower ceiling but higher floor) and the different development paths worked out he can still turn out but don't think he has the same ppg puck wizard 1b potential i thought

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
As Casey Mittelstadt struggles at the NHL level, many of his... (paywall)

Mittelstadt quotes from the article

“I mean, just keep a positive attitude. It hasn’t been too bad. I don’t know, just keep a positive attitude, keep working hard. Things usually work out, so I’ll be fine. Some nights I have some really good games, then some pretty bad games, too. I’m here, so yeah, I think I’m ready. Obviously, there’s some things I need to work on, some things I need to get better at, but just keep working. It’s always came for me, so I’ll stick with that.”

Something about that quote doesn't quite sit right with me. I can't place my finger on it.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Something about that quote doesn't quite sit right with me. I can't place my finger on it.
Things have come easy for him. That's my interpretation. Now he needs to have someone take him under their wing and teach him how to work at the pro level.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Leier-Mittelstadt-Oglevie in practice. I’d love it if he got a little chemistry going with Oglevie for later.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Things have come easy for him. That's my interpretation. Now he needs to have someone take him under their wing and teach him how to work at the pro level.

I'm just not liking his lack of improvement in his conditioning plus this attitude of "Obviously, there’s some things I need to work on, some things I need to get better at, but just keep working. It’s always came for me, so I’ll stick with that."

It's like he's not understanding the concept of being a professional and maturing, and when you have the GM GIFTING him spots on the main roster, it for sure doesn't help with that attitude. I appreciate the confidence, but there's a time and place for it, and when it comes to someone sending you a message of you need to work harder, you may want to humble yourself instead of doubling down on it, even if it's for PR purposes.

Reactions: sufferer

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I'm just not liking his lack of improvement in his conditioning plus this attitude of "Obviously, there’s some things I need to work on, some things I need to get better at, but just keep working. It’s always came for me, so I’ll stick with that."

It's like he's not understanding the concept of being a professional and maturing, and when you have the GM GIFTING him spots on the main roster, it for sure doesn't help with that attitude. I appreciate the confidence, but there's a time and place for it, and when it comes to someone sending you a message of you need to work harder, you may want to humble yourself instead of doubling down on it, even if it's for PR purposes.

I’m not certain his conditioning has not improved. He just had a long way to come. I don’t think he is to where he needs to be as a professional yet.

Reactions: Fezzy126

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
A lot of people struggle to articulate their thoughts when put on the spot with a microphone in their face, so its hard to take what he says at face value.

Anyway if we expand what you bolded to, "but just keep working. It’s always came for me, so I’ll stick with that." you can make the argument that he's saying he will continue to put in the work because when he has, things have worked out for him. That he isn't going to give up because he's taken a step back.

Edit: Meant to quote you @OkimLom .

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
I’m not certain his conditioning has not improved. He just had a long way to come. I don’t think he is to where he needs to be as a professional yet.

That's fair, he just looks like what he did the previous 2 seasons in terms of skating, strength, and endurance to me.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
A lot of people struggle to articulate their thoughts when put on the spot with a microphone in their face, so its hard to take what he says at face value.

Anyway if we expand what you bolded to, "but just keep working. It’s always came for me, so I’ll stick with that." you can make the argument that he's saying he will continue to put in the work because when he has, things have worked out for him. That he isn't going to give up because he's taken a step back.

Edit: Meant to quote you @OkimLom .

And that's fine, it's just something that sit well with me.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
That's fair, he just looks like what he did the previous 2 seasons in terms of skating, strength, and endurance to me.

Yeah, has on ice impact is certainly not what it should be. We know he is a capable stickhandler and a creative offensive player. I want to see him getting first power-play time. I would like to see him rotated into the penalty killing. I wanna see him working on face-offs and defensive assignments. Most of all I’d like to see him adjust to the pace of play. He’s a step behind at the NHL level. This hopefully should allow him to adjust and take a step forward.

I want to see him getting first power play time. I would like to see him rotated into the penalty killing. I want to see him working on face-offs and defensive assignments. Most of all I’d like to see him adjust to the pace of play. He’s a step behind at the NHL level. This hopefully should allow him to adjust and take a step forward.

I still think Casey could be an excellent hockey player. That the management did not act sooner to send him down to work on his game is not an indictment of his abilities as much is an indictment of management. I remain hopeful that with the work Thompson did (and we still don’t know how that translates on the big club) and how Asplund and Olofsson have turned out that Taylor can do his work yet again.

Reactions: Fezzy126

Montag DP

Sabres fan in...
Apr 4, 2007
...Maryland
He probably realizes the same thing we all did, that his performance was not good and that he needs development time in the AHL.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
I am a little concerned that it doesn’t sound like this is going to be a long term assignment.

Yeah it doesnt. I was fine with the idea of him being back up but was thinking like March or something

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Yeah it doesnt. I was fine with the idea of him being back up but was thinking like March or something

It’s so strange to me that the management group can operate in completely random fashions from player to player. I’d like to think that internally they told Casey he was going down for x amount of time at least add to show x and y in his game during that span of time.

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
He should stay down the whole year not just a few games.
His problem cant be fixed short time.
If they don't go the full route he probably wont develop into something useful.
At least Ralph finds some clear words.
Botteril is just the same ink as Housley.
Not able to say what needs to be said in a clear way.
I hope the GM doesnt believe CM issues can be fixed in a few games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad