Player Discussion Casey Mittelstadt (2017, 8th) #37 - Part III

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
If he turns himself into a top 6 winger I’ll take that all day long.
I think this is a realistic possibility. All we learned from his time in Buffalo was that he isn't a center. Put him on the wing where he can be creative and not have to think about all the responsibilities of a position that he's just not well-suited to play.

sabresfan65

Vegas HAS Hockey!!
Sponsor
May 23, 2004
Vegas
I think you have the right idea but are a year too late (or the Sabres are). Next season, Casey will have to pass through waivers to make to the AHL. Can't see that happening - someone will grab him for sure. So he needs to get up to speed in what remains of this year . For 2020 - 2021 he will be:
  • On the Sabres 2020-21 roster
  • Waived and picked up by another team
  • Traded
He will be waiver exempt until after next season or when he plays 46 additional games in the NHL. His first "season" while eating a year of his ELC was only 6 games so it doesn't count as an accrued season so he is exempt for 3 years counting the first year he played 11 or more games in the NHL which was last year.

Reactions: mechaworm

Bendium

Oct 18, 2019
With Casey it is not just a problem of the number of points he is putting up. It is his all around game. He needs to get better defensively, better at faceoffs, become a stronger faster skater (especially his burst speed,) and he really needs to work on his shot. He has trick shot hands...….so what. I want to see him play in the #1 center spot in Rochester for the rest of the year. I want to see him play on BOTH the penalty kill and power play. I want to see him work on everything until he is showing dominant advance stats in the AHL. In my mind he is likely starting in the AHL again next year. The only thing that changes it for me is if you decide at some point he just isn't going to make it at center. Then as a left handed shot he makes a natural sniping type right wing, which is actually an area of need for us, and he could make it back to the big club faster in that role. But that is a consolation prize at best.

Last edited:

Dex

Complementary
Sponsor
Dec 5, 2011
Under Deep Cover
He will be waiver exempt until after next season or when he plays 46 additional games in the NHL. His first "season" while eating a year of his ELC was only 6 games so it doesn't count as an accrued season so he is exempt for 3 years counting the first year he played 11 or more games in the NHL which was last year.

Excellent. Thanks

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
With Casey it is not just a problem of the number of points he is putting up. It is his all around game. He needs to get better defensively, better at faceoffs, become a stronger faster skater (especially his burst speed,) and he really needs to work on his shot. He has trick shot hands...….so what. I want to see him play in the #1 center spot in Rochester for the rest of the year. I want to see him play on BOTH the penalty kill and power play. I want to see him work on everything until he is showing dominant advance stats in the AHL. In my mind he is likely starting in the NHL again next year. The only thing that changes it for me is if you decide at some point he just isn't going to make it at center. Then as a left handed shot he makes a natural sniping type right wing, which is actually an area of need for us, and he could make it back to the big club faster in that role. But that is a consolation prize at best.

Seems the first step is that they have him gaining confidence playing as a scoring line winger alongside JS Dea who is doing the work as the center on that line. I agree with all of it, just wanted to point out that his first steps toward some confidence are happening on the wing.

Bendium

Oct 18, 2019
Seems the first step is that they have him gaining confidence playing as a scoring line winger alongside JS Dea who is doing the work as the center on that line. I agree with all of it, just wanted to point out that his first steps toward some confidence are happening on the wing.
Lol. Than he is further behind than I thought. Or they have already determined he will not make it as a center and are hoping to train him into the wing for next season. Either way, this pick is not looking good so far. If he makes it to be a solid second line winger it will be fine. Short of that...……?

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Lol. Than he is further behind than I thought. Or they have already determined he will not make it as a center and are hoping to train him into the wing for next season. Either way, this pick is not looking good so far. If he makes it to be a solid second line winger it will be fine. Short of that...……?

Eh, it could be that they want to get his confidence back before trying to hammer him into shape at center. I'm game to see if that's their path, Taylor has mentioned restoring Mitts' confidence as something to work on during one of his pressers after Casey was sent down.

Reactions: N.Y. Orangeman

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
Developing him isn’t throwing him as a center and him killing it in all phases of the game instantly, it’s developing him over time.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
Shit, you're right he does have another year of exemption (you aren't right about why he has another year of exemption, though. That first year where he played 6 games does count as one of his waiver years, it's just that he has four waiver years.)

Reactions: Dirty Dog

sabresfan65

Vegas HAS Hockey!!
Sponsor
May 23, 2004
Vegas
****, you're right he does have another year of exemption (you aren't right about why he has another year of exemption, though. That first year where he played 6 games does count as one of his waiver years, it's just that he has four waiver years.)
He had 5 since he was 18 on Sept. 15th of the season he signed but that all ends as soon as a player hits 11 games in a season. Once that happens it is 3 years from that season (unless it had already been 3 years since signing).

Reactions: Fearnot

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
He had 5 since he was 18 on Sept. 15th of the season he signed but that all ends as soon as a player hits 11 games in a season. Once that happens it is 3 years from that season (unless it had already been 3 years since signing).
None of this is right. Mittelstadt's contract began in the 2017-18 season. For waiver purposes, he counts as 19 since he turned 19 in the calendar year that contained the Entry Draft previous to his signing. That is, since Mittelstadt was born in 1998, he turned 19 during 2017 (which is when the Entry Draft previous to his signing took place), he was 19 for waiver purposes. Therefore, Mittelstadt had 4 years of waiver exemption starting in the 2017-18 season. That clock started regardless of the number of games that Mittselstadt played in the 2017-18 season. His age on September 15 of any year is irrelevant.

Also the years of waiver exemption resetting down to 3 years after a player plays in 11 games in a season only applies to 18 or 19 year olds. When Mittelstadt played in 11 or more NHL games in a season, he was no longer 18 or 19 for waiver purposes, he was 20.

To give you a different example, Dylan Cozens signed his ELC which starts this season. Cozens counts as an 18 year old for waiver purposes, as his 18th birthday occurred between January 1 and September 15 of last year. So, due to Cozens being an 18 year old, he has 5 years of waiver exemption. This year is year 1. If Cozens plays in fewer than 11 NHL games next year, then that will be year 2 of his 5 year waiver exemption. He will then have 3 further years of waiver exemption (or until he plays 160 NHL games, of course). On the other hand, as Cozens will be a 19 year old (for waiver purposes) next year, if he plays in 11 NHL games next season, his waiver status will reset so that he will only have 3 years of waiver exemption (including next season). As of now, Cozens is waiver exempt through the 2024 off-season, or until he plays 160 NHL games, whichever happens first. If he plays in 11 NHL games next season, his waiver exemption will change so that it expires in the 2023 off-season.

Reactions: TheCerebral1

Bendium

Oct 18, 2019
Developing him isn’t throwing him as a center and him killing it in all phases of the game instantly, it’s developing him over time.
If you go back a read my post you will see that I was suggesting he be in the AHL for the next year and a half to develop that. Not sure where you get the "instantly" part of the conversation. Unless you created it just to have an argument.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
If you go back a read my post you will see that I was suggesting he be in the AHL for the next year and a half to develop that. Not sure where you get the "instantly" part of the conversation. Unless you created it just to have an argument.

just saying don’t assume him starting slowly is them giving up on him at center. It’s way to early to conclude that

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
None of this is right. Mittelstadt's contract began in the 2017-18 season. For waiver purposes, he counts as 19 since he turned 19 in the calendar year that contained the Entry Draft previous to his signing. That is, since Mittelstadt was born in 1998, he turned 19 during 2017 (which is when the Entry Draft previous to his signing took place), he was 19 for waiver purposes. Therefore, Mittelstadt had 4 years of waiver exemption starting in the 2017-18 season. That clock started regardless of the number of games that Mittselstadt played in the 2017-18 season. His age on September 15 of any year is irrelevant.

Also the years of waiver exemption resetting down to 3 years after a player plays in 11 games in a season only applies to 18 or 19 year olds. When Mittelstadt played in 11 or more NHL games in a season, he was no longer 18 or 19 for waiver purposes, he was 20.

To give you a different example, Dylan Cozens signed his ELC which starts this season. Cozens counts as an 18 year old for waiver purposes, as his 18th birthday occurred between January 1 and September 15 of last year. So, due to Cozens being an 18 year old, he has 5 years of waiver exemption. This year is year 1. If Cozens plays in fewer than 11 NHL games next year, then that will be year 2 of his 5 year waiver exemption. He will then have 3 further years of waiver exemption (or until he plays 160 NHL games, of course). On the other hand, as Cozens will be a 19 year old (for waiver purposes) next year, if he plays in 11 NHL games next season, his waiver status will reset so that he will only have 3 years of waiver exemption (including next season). As of now, Cozens is waiver exempt through the 2024 off-season, or until he plays 160 NHL games, whichever happens first. If he plays in 11 NHL games next season, his waiver exemption will change so that it expires in the 2023 off-season.

My man DOES NOT PLAY!!!!!!!!

coastal

Jun 22, 2016
Let the kid brew for the rest of this year and next in Rochester... perhaps a primary call-up next year.

Or he’s part of a trade now... because if you go through the first option... his trade value would likely be less than it is now.

perhaps Bowman is wanting to get fleeced again.

darcyRegier

Mar 27, 2017
Let the kid brew for the rest of this year and next in Rochester... perhaps a primary call-up next year.

Or he’s part of a trade now... because if you go through the first option... his trade value would likely be less than it is now.

perhaps Bowman is wanting to get fleeced again.

I'd gladly take Dach off his hands

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad