Player Discussion Casey Mittelstadt (2017, 8th) #37 - Part III

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
You have no idea how much I am dreading the day Mitts gets traded for picks/futures. Why do people not understand that hockey trades at this point because of many different factors are incredibly rare? Why do people not understand that the odds of Mitts being the best player involved in any potential trade are extremely high (which 99 times out of 100 determines who won it)? Why do people want to keep making the same mistakes over and over again that lead to neverending failure?

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
You have no idea how much I am dreading the day Mitts gets traded for picks/futures. Why do people not understand that hockey trades at this point because of many different factors are incredibly rare? Why do people not understand that the odds of Mitts being the best player involved in any potential trade are extremely high (which 99 times out of 100 determines who won it)? Why do people want to keep making the same mistakes over and over again that lead to neverending failure?
Center swap or just resign, pretty simple.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
Ehhhh, I noticed him starting to be MUCH more engaged offensively on this last Western trip. The points weren't coming, but he was noticeable for the first time since his injuries.

My hope is that he comes out of the break/bye rejuvenated even further.
Good to hear. I admittedly didn't see much of the 3 late games.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Interesting to see them push the Lindgren angle, yet they don't need another pile of futures and picks. They don't have the ice in Rochester to put people into the lineup every night right now.
Making everything about the future allows the inept GM and organization to constantly fail in the present with no consequences because it's always "wait until next year or the year after".

Reactions: Tatanka

HOOats

NO DOOM NO GLOOM
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
I'm willing to stick my neck out and promise that Mitts isn't getting traded - not for futures, not for anything. I'd wager he's among Adams' top 3 favorite players on the roster.

But people would be shocked to see what's actually offered for Mitts if he were made available and a bidding war ensued. Teams' internal metrics likely rate his ES production like a true star, combined with his pedigree, work rate, underrated physical profile, and ideal age. They'd think they were strong-arming another Reinhart from us, with another level to reach still.

Point is, we need two or three more players like Mitts, not one fewer.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Making everything about the future allows the inept GM and organization to constantly fail in the present with no consequences because it's always "wait until next year or the year after".

Eh, the folks making those tweets are A) not usually credible in the Sabre Buzz sense and B) just looking at it from a league speculation point.

They haven't sold anything much of anything but tweeners in over two years. Let's not get carried away trying to damn them for something they aren't doing. Feel free to damn them for what they are though. :laugh:

Reactions: HOOats

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I'm willing to stick my neck out and promise that Mitts isn't getting traded - not for futures, not for anything. I'd wager he's among Adams' top 3 favorite players on the roster.

But people would be shocked to see what's actually offered for Mitts if he were made available and a bidding war ensued. Teams' internal metrics likely rate his ES production like a true star, combined with his pedigree, work rate, underrated physical profile, and ideal age. They'd think they were strong-arming another Reinhart from us, with another level to reach still.

Point is, we need two or three more players like Mitts, not one fewer.

Hear, hear.

Some more high work rate mid-line wingers who are outscoring their opposite number markedly at 5-on-5 would be a welcome change from some of the dross they've had on that slush TOI line. Wild to think part of Benson and Greenway working so well with Mittelstadt early - and them all being moved onto other lines to get those lines going was that they do the work.

Faceboner

Jan 6, 2022
If we traded mitts we would get a kings ransom. Monahan got a first (how? Chevy?yeah) and lindholm in a down year who is a ufa over the summer and 30 having a down year got brutz,1st, and kuzmenko who might be overpaid but still a solid roster player. I don't want to trade mitts but with those trades, his age, contract status, and the season he is having he would rake in a first and an A prospect as a base

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
If we traded mitts we would get a kings ransom. Monahan got a first (how? Chevy?yeah) and lindholm in a down year who is a ufa over the summer and 30 having a down year got brutz,1st, and kuzmenko who might be overpaid but still a solid roster player. I don't want to trade mitts but with those trades, his age, contract status, and the season he is having he would rake in a first and an A prospect as a base

A late first round pick in a mid draft isn't all that much. The Jets think they are for real and have been playing a guy like Ehlers at center on their top line - the last few games is Namestnikov - Ehlers - Connor and their third line is rolling long-time winger Alex Iafallo at center. They had a need and filled it with teams like the Avs and Rangers still looking for help.

Reactions: Faceboner

Faceboner

Jan 6, 2022
A late first round pick in a mid draft isn't all that much. The Jets think they are for real and have been playing a guy like Ehlers at center on their top line - the last few games is Namestnikov - Ehlers - Connor and their third line is rolling long-time winger Alex Iafallo at center. They had a need and filled it with teams like the Avs and Rangers still looking for help.
That's true jets we're desperate but still think could've gotten him for less, but that was the highest bid without a doubt which is why Montreal jumped on it. Good for both teams.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
That's true jets we're desperate but still think could've gotten him for less, but that was the highest bid without a doubt which is why Montreal jumped on it. Good for both teams.

If they wait, then the Avs are likely to be in on him - that's been the rumble for a while at least, even going back to before Monahan went out last season. The West is loading up.

Reactions: Faceboner

Faceboner

Jan 6, 2022
If they wait, then the Avs are likely to be in on him - that's been the rumble for a while at least, even going back to before Monahan went out last season. The West is loading up.
I personally would rather keep mitts and sign him to 6 by 6.5 but I guess if we trade him I at least want a significant package so hopefully Colorado antes up and we get a nice bidding war for him

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I personally would rather keep mitts and sign him to 6 by 6.5 but I guess if we trade him I at least want a significant package so hopefully Colorado antes up and we get a nice bidding war for him

Oh, I was talking about the Jets getting Monahan.

I'm not in favor of moving on from Mittelstadt at all. There is no team in a playoff race who is going to make a hockey deal (one-for-one) that is going to push a center who can be as productive or responsible into the Sabres lineup. Going for futures is just putting off even more from building going forward and I don't see any team flaunting the sort of futures to make that move happen.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
If the Preds tried to make a trade for Mittelstadt, what do y’all think the deal would look like?

Alone? Probably more something to come back to in the summer. Seems like the strength of the Preds prospect system is in goal with Askarov and on the wing with Kemell and maybe Wood. Eh... I don't see a lot that jumps out as "hey, that guy" and that just means volume when Buffalo is already swimming in too many prospects.

Faceboner

Jan 6, 2022
Oh, I was talking about the Jets getting Monahan.

I'm not in favor of moving on from Mittelstadt at all. There is no team in a playoff race who is going to make a hockey deal (one-for-one) that is going to push a center who can be as productive or responsible into the Sabres lineup. Going for futures is just putting off even more from building going forward and I don't see any team flaunting the sort of futures to make that move happen.
My mistake, but yeah I would rather see us make a move for a 3c and move cozens to wing it automatically makes us deeper at forward maybe something along the lines of swapping Krebs for trenin or sissions could see Nashville liking Krebs and giving him a shot in a bigger role possibly

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
My mistake, but yeah I would rather see us make a move for a 3c and move cozens to wing it automatically makes us deeper at forward maybe something along the lines of swapping Krebs for trenin or sissions could see Nashville liking Krebs and giving him a shot in a bigger role possibly

If they want to push Cozens to wing, then someone on the wing has to go. Mittelstadt in the middle of Tuch and Skinner has worked, and it seemed like (though I would have to poke around to see how well it did) the Greenway-Thompson/Cozens-Cozens/Thompson line to end last year had some push to it. The issue then is having to spread Krebs out and not having another center.

If Mitts is around at center, it gives them some flexibility though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad