Player Discussion Casey Mittelstadt (2017, 8th) #37 - Part III

HOOats

NO DOOM NO GLOOM
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
Cozens is 22 years old. People that are confused he is having growing pains don’t follow other players on other teams enough. Development is rarely linear
True. But just as it's a mistake to assume development is linear, it's a mistake to assume that all growing pains work themselves out, even expected as they may be. And his have been severe imo.

I don't see much confusion here re: him. Most people just seem to be discussing some specific flaws in his game and how they relate to our long-term build. Which is exactly what the front office guys that we're all cosplaying as here are doing lol.

Unfortunately it has taken over the Mittelstadt thread though...

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
Considering the lack of applied size in their top 9, I'm not ready yet to send Cozens out as a means to keeping Mittelstadt.
I would move someone else before moving Mitts from the top6, he is not that small either with 6"1 200

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
That's an odd looking tiki bar.

Future letter-wearer, our truest rink rat.

I think it's definitely awesome - you know he'd love to do some golfing, and Minnesota in January/February is about the worst place for that. I'm sure he's enjoying skating with his brothers, coming back home to his alma mater, and continuing to work on his game and stay in shape for the rest of the season.

I was hoping Adams would pull a Cozens and sign Mitts on the All-Star Break this year but hopefully we get it done long-term in the off-season. I'd do the full 8 years.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
I know its just social media but its interestingly coincidental, that our best skater is putting in the work while others are golfing.
Mittelstadt should be at the all star game instead of Dahlin. But other than that I am impressed he's working during the break. I was wondering last week how many Sabre players would do this during the break.

This is what players do in their contact year!

I wish more players came in to the season prepared. Looking at you Tage, Dylan (and even Dahlin).

HOOats

NO DOOM NO GLOOM
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
Who's to say he didn't take a vacation before going to skate in Minneapolis? (or taking one after skating in Minny, depending on when the pic was snapped)
Sure there's some confirmation bias at play here, but it's deserved after the way our guys came into this season and the summer they shared with us.

Also, these guys share everything so we'll see who went and skated where eventually.

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
What is Mitts worth? Is he sold as a 60-70 point 2C? I really don't want to give him 7x5-8 years. I just don't feel like when I watch him he is a dynamic play driver. At 7 million I want someone who can take over a game. Even though Thompson isn't scoring, you can see him attempting to will his team back into games. Cozens is struggling but he has plenty of dynamic ability and fire. 6x3 or 4 is about what I would offer. The league is full of solid players that do little things right.

start winnin

NO MORE TANK BOYS
May 7, 2011
Buffalo
What is Mitts worth? Is he sold as a 60-70 point 2C? I really don't want to give him 7x5-8 years. I just don't feel like when I watch him he is a dynamic play driver. At 7 million I want someone who can take over a game. Even though Thompson isn't scoring, you can see him attempting to will his team back into games. Cozens is struggling but he has plenty of dynamic ability and fire. 6x3 or 4 is about what I would offer. The league is full of solid players that do little things right.
... Mittelstadt has been infinitely better than Thompson this year, Thompson has been awful. Wish I was wrong but last year is starting to look like an aberration.

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
... Mittelstadt has been infinitely better than Thompson this year, Thompson has been awful. Wish I was wrong but last year is starting to look like an aberration.
Thompson is not putting up points and has had the wrist injury. Infinitely better is just silly. He is 6th on the team in goals.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Since January 1st of 2023, Casey leads the team in:

Even strength points (71) over Skinner (60)
Even strength goal differential (18) over Skinner (6) - who also happen to be the only two regular forwards with positive ES goal differentials in that time.
Total points (82) over Skinner (77).
All assists (62) over Dahlin (55).

Just throwing this out there but Tage has been on the ice for 65 ESGF in that span (he played 83 games) and Mitts has been on for 100 ESGF. Goals against, yes Mitts has given up four more at 82 to Tage's 78. But Thompson is thirteen ES goals in the hole and yet still plays way, way more of his time with the teams supposed best wingers (Skinner and Tuch).

We might want to re-assess what play driving is if we look at the last 13 months of data.

...primary assists, first (35) over Dahlin (34) and Tuch (28).

Just saying, there is some evidence that says he's been better than Tage and Cozens at ES and I'm sure his agent has these numbers. I can't see him taking less than Cozens even throwing the difference in UFA seasons out (which we can't).

Last edited:

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
It's been a while since I've noticed Tage trying to will his team back into a game. Maybe we just see things differently.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA

I think you need to recalibrate your monetary expectations a bit. A $7M/year guy isn't someone who can take over a game. Guys that can take over games generally go for $10M+ anymore. And with the cap going up rather rapidly soon, $7M/year is going to be the get-in price for top 6 forwards.

I tend to agree that maybe his ceiling isn't as high as a guy like Tage or Cozens, so $7M seems rich based on our exisiting cap structure......but there's a reason KA locked up those 2 so quickly so long........$7M is going to be AT WORST the going rate for those two by the end of the deal.

Mitts at $7M might seem a little much now......but in 5 years, it won't be.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
It's been a while since I've noticed Tage trying to will his team back into a game. Maybe we just see things differently.

Ehhhh, I noticed him starting to be MUCH more engaged offensively on this last Western trip. The points weren't coming, but he was noticeable for the first time since his injuries.

My hope is that he comes out of the break/bye rejuvenated even further.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I think you need to recalibrate your monetary expectations a bit. A $7M/year guy isn't someone who can take over a game. Guys that can take over games generally go for $10M+ anymore. And with the cap going up rather rapidly soon, $7M/year is going to be the get-in price for top 6 forwards.

I tend to agree that maybe his ceiling isn't as high as a guy like Tage or Cozens, so $7M seems rich based on our exisiting cap structure......but there's a reason KA locked up those 2 so quickly so long........$7M is going to be AT WORST the going rate for those two by the end of the deal.

Is Mitts at 7M even that much? 2nd line production is getting locked in the 6-7M AAV range for some. Look at Owen Tippett's deal and he's only a winger or even Nick Suzuki (both from his draft year). $7M seems right in the midst of that.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Is Mitts at 7M even that much? 2nd line production is getting locked in the 6-7M AAV range for some. Look at Owen Tippett's deal and he's only a winger or even Nick Suzuki (both from his draft year). $7M seems right in the midst of that.

I think Mitts at $7M would be a completely fair deal right now, and that deal will only look better as it ages.

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
Tage does too much and can cause issues, which is stemming from him trying to take control. He is just snakebitten currently around 9% shooting.

That is fair, basing on our players not league. Peterka took over a game recently, it doesn't have to be every game. I see a player good at everything but not great at anything outside of passing. The lack of goals concerns me at 7m.

Reactions: Matt Ress

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2