Player Discussion Casey Mittelstadt (2017, 8th) #37 - Part III

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Watching him play for a while (at least within his first 1.5 in the NHL), do you think he is someone that will eventually be able to pick it up and be much better in the next year or so? I see good flashes from him, but I can say I haven't watch him play in the AHL. Thoughts?

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
He has 19 points in 29 games in the AHL, while being -12.

That's not mediocre, that's flat out bad if the hope is that he'll be a top-6 forward in the NHL.

point counting AND +/- watching? Didn’t he barely have any points during his first stretch of games and has since been accumulating points? Didn’t Rochester go through an awful losing streak where the whole team probably suffered poor +/- numbers?

In his last 15 games, he has 12 points and is only a minus 4. Better splits than his first 14 games. So if we just wanted to stat watch, he is getting better

Last edited:

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
He has 19 points in 29 games in the AHL, while being -12.

That's not mediocre, that's flat out bad if the hope is that he'll be a top-6 forward in the NHL.

I've read around that the Americans coach lets him play through his mistakes, get better and so on. Even has PP and PK duty for the team. Also, plus minus isn't everything. But I guess being 21 years old means he's already going to be what he's going to be?

Outside of his first 5 games where he struggled, he's put up 18 points in 24 games since. He's a kid that's being allowed to play through his mistakes and learn from it.

Reactions: Der Jaeger

Bendium

Oct 18, 2019
This offseason: Mittelstadt should be used as a minor part of the package this offseason for our 2C. Gives the other team a highly drafted center project to replace the center depth lost.

Reactions: jd1970

Bendium

Oct 18, 2019
A Nylander/Jokiharu type trade where the teams are swaping similar draft level prospects from area of strength to area of need would work too. Basically, Mittelstadt swapped for Left Defense Prospect.

Edit: Initially wrote in right defense but meant left.

Last edited:

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
This offseason: Mittelstadt should be used as a minor part of the package this offseason for our 2C. Gives the other team a highly drafted center project to replace the center depth lost.

Throw Mittelstadt + Ristolainen + 1st 2021 for Zibanejad in the offseason and see if it sticks.

High-end centers who aren't pushing 30+ are so hard to come by without a huge over-payment.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
Throw Mittelstadt + Ristolainen + 1st 2021 for Zibanejad in the offseason and see if it sticks.

High-end centers who aren't pushing 30+ are so hard to come by without a huge over-payment.

I can't wait to see the counter proposals from Bern including another 1st, dueling 2nds and Lias Andersson.

Reactions: Chainshot

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
A Nylander/Jokiharu type trade where the teams are swaping similar draft level prospects from area of strength to area of need would work too. Basically, Mittelstadt swapped for Right Defense Prospect.
But that idea (Mitts for a RHD prospect to address a need with a strength) doesn’t make sense. Center isn’t a position of strength for us on the NHL roster or in the prospect pool and we have no need for another RHD. Not with Risto, Montour, Miller, Joker, Borgen, Fitzgerald and Laaksonen. All but Miller are 25 years old or younger.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dirty Dog

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
But that idea (Mitts for a RHD prospect to address a need with a strength) doesn’t make sense. Center isn’t a position of strength for us on the NHL roster or in the prospect pool and we have no need for another RHD. Not with Risto, Montour, Miller, Joker, Borgen, Fitzgerald and Laaksonen. All but Miller are 25 years old or younger.

I assumed it was solid jab at Botts trading for a RHD :laugh:

Bendium

Oct 18, 2019
Oops, I meant left defense where behind Dahlin there is no top 2 pairing dman and little depth. I agree whole heartedly that we need a 2C, but I was offering another way to use him in a trade.

Reactions: joshjull

K8fool

Sep 30, 2018
stomach of giant parasitic worm
point counting AND +/- watching? Didn’t he barely have any points during his first stretch of games and has since been accumulating points? Didn’t Rochester go through an awful losing streak where the whole team probably suffered poor +/- numbers?

In his last 15 games, he has 12 points and is only a minus 4. Better splits than his first 14 games. So if we just wanted to stat watch, he is getting better
Will reason win the day.. I have no idea ..

Reactions: Dirty Dog

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

When we last caught up with Mittelstadt in mid-January, he was emerging from the transition from the NHL to the AHL. His start in Rochester was not good, as he posted one point in his first five games. But since the start of the year, things have gone much better with nine goals and 11 assists in 25 games.

“He wants to be a guy that’s on the ice and in every situation, not just offensively. He wants to be on the ice in defensive situations,” Americans head coach Chris Taylor said. “He’s becoming a guy that we can count on for penalty killing (and the) last minute of a game for a face off.

“He’s not just waiting to be told, ‘Hey, you’re going out there.’ He’s standing up ready to take charge and that’s what you want.”

Very good to see.

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
I think Mitts is going to end up being a #2 winger at the NHL level, something we actually need. He is just not cut out to be a center.

Bendium

Oct 18, 2019
I think Mitts is going to end up being a #2 winger at the NHL level, something we actually need. He is just not cut out to be a center.
Agreed. Maybe he plays 3RW next to Cozens next year, something like Johansson - Cozens - Mitts.

Bendium

Oct 18, 2019
Is Cozens even ready to step in next year?
No idea. His second half junior numbers are in rare air suggesting its time for him to move up a level, but the AHL is not an option next year. So its another year of juniors or a protected NHL role.

K8fool

Sep 30, 2018
stomach of giant parasitic worm

Only if it returns a better player in the trade.. Him and two picks prospects for a young guaranteed staal c. If not bet ob the kid .. He just needs focus and strength.. Those are things that come w age and determination.. Eichel is a rarity

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad