Confirmed with Link: Casey Desmith - 3 Years - 1.25 Per

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
That's a really solid deal, I'm happy with that for sure. Even if DeSmith only ends up a whatever backup, $1.25 million a year for that is very fine. Even in the worst case scenario that he busts and ends up only being an AHLer, that's an easy contract to send to the AHL.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Great sign. And this doesnt mean that Jarry is gone. Just gives us another option of who to trade if we choose that route now that DeSmith wont be a UFA. Thats a great contract for someone looking for a goalie...could def get something of value back if we want to keep Jarry instead.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Great sign. And this doesnt mean that Jarry is gone. Just gives us another option of who to trade if we choose that route now that DeSmith wont be a UFA. Thats a great contract for someone looking for a goalie...could def get something of value back if we want to keep Jarry instead.

It seems really unlikely that they'd sign DeSmith to a new contract then trade him before he's even started playing on it. GMs don't do that to UFAs.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
Good deal. Glad it's done. Hopefully he and Murray continue their friendly competition and everyone benefits.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Nice to know that Murray and DeSmith will be the tandum for three more years. Extremely steady and reliable combination that likely will only get better.

Reactions: Tom Hanks

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
His number this year are on pace to about the same as Darling's contract year. With more played games played during the year.

Darling had 32 Gp that year.
DeSmith will have close to 40 games played. I assume he will play in at least 14 more this year, no reason to burn out Murray in the second half.

With the cap going up, I could of seen someone giving him close to 3mil for 3 years as a stop gap.

Darling had two full years as a backup though before his Carolina deal, 29 GP in 15-16 and 32 in 16-17 along with 14 in 14-15. DeSmith will probably finish with around 35GP this year but he only had 14 GP last year.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Jarry is definitely being traded people, it's a trade or waivers for him

I wonder if they'll keep him as the #3 and move him at the draft. In terms of asset management it would be smart to move him sooner rather than later though.

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
Wow that's great value for the Penguins. I'm actually a little surprised that CDS wanted 3 years as it locks him out of a shot of a starter role, being 30 when he comes off this contract. Unless for some reason Murray has issues down the road, and then we have bigger problems.

Big fan of DeSmith, he does give up the odd bad goal up but tends to really lock down the game after he does so. So pretty good for us to have him backing up Murray.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Wow that's great value for the Penguins. I'm actually a little surprised that CDS wanted 3 years as it locks him out of a shot of a starter role, being 30 when he comes off this contract. Unless for some reason Murray has issues down the road, and then we have bigger problems.

Big fan of DeSmith, he does give up the odd bad goal up but tends to really lock down the game after he does so. So pretty good for us to have him backing up Murray.

Because he knows he will get a chance to be the starting goalie during our cup run. For at least half of the games like Fleury did. Or at least against the Caps.

Murray beat them the first time. Fleury the 2nd time. Murray lost his 2nd time around. Only makes sense for them to face another goalie...in DeSmith. We win again.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I guess this means Jarry is on his way out?

I don’t think so this year...Murray still hasn’t shown he can be healthy all year and into the POs...I’d guess they’ll feel it out and if the goaltending remains solid through the rest of the season, then Jarry might be traded at the draft....just a guess

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
Good move. We were signing over the hill backups for around this money several years ago. CDS has shown a lot in his time here so I’ve got no problem with the contract.

Reactions: EightyOne

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad