Confirmed with Link: Casey Desmith - 3 Years - 1.25 Per

end

Mar 18, 2007
Arklay Mansion
Looks like Jarry just joined our 1st round pick in our trade deadline dowry.

If we can get away with paying a solid NHL tandem 5 million for the next three years, we've created a lot of cap savings for the rest of the lineup.

Reactions: Soggy Biscuit

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
Looks like Jarry just joined our 1st round pick in our trade deadline dowry.

If we can get away with paying a solid NHL tandem 5 million for the next three years, we've created a lot of cap savings for the rest of the lineup.

Well most likely we will only have the tandem at 5 million for 1 year. If Murray plays like we know he can, hes gonna get PAID next summer.

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
What is the mean or “back to earth” for DeSmith though? He had a .923 save percentage in college, .915 in the ECHL and .919 in the AHL. I wouldn’t describe his development as being “thrown to the wolves” but he wasn’t really handled with an NHL future in mind and didn’t get the coddling and kid gloves of actual prospects like Jarry but he still outperformed him basically all the time.

Also $1.25 million is probably low even for an average backup these days, so if there’s a drop in his play it’s not a huge deal. Kinkaid makes the same amount, Kuemper $1.8, Aaron Dell makes $1.9, Khudobin $2.5, Bernier $3 and Reimer $3.4. Any backup making less is probably still on an ELC.

And Brent Johnson was an excellent backup [and made then about what DeSmith will be making next season when considering cap inflation I’ll bet] until age and injuries turned him into garbage. DeSmith is 27 so, yeah there’s not huge upside but his body shouldn’t be breaking down anytime soon.

And it’s pretty low risk since a good chunk of the deal can be buried in the minors if his game does suddenly go to ****.
I think "back to earth" for Desmith is somewhere around average or slightly below (say 3.00 GAA and 0.900%). He is currently at 2.47 GAA and 0.924% - just my opinion, but I don't see him finishing the year with those gaudy statistics.

I probably came across as a bit anti Desmith.. I am not. I just want to see a full season before I make a judgement on his play.. its hard to evaluate a guy with ~40 NHL games under his belt.

You raise some good points though - the guy certainly has a track record of getting it done at every level. This deal is actually pretty decent from a risk reward perspective now that I think about it.

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
I’ll post the exact same thing I did in the trade board...

I’m not going to turn this into a DeSmith VS Jarry debate, and I really like Jarry. But DeSmith has earned every single bit to this extension. Whether it works out fully or he plays all three years of the extension I don’t care about. Glad to see his great play rewarded fairly and the organization recognize it. And Pens fans should rejoice, we have depth in term. It’s fantastic.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
Excellent. I was thinking about this just yesterday. Seriously. And thinking about 2M per for DeSmith and how important it is to sign him. Then JR comes and signs him. For 1.25M per. This is great. Having a bad backup sucks. Having money tied to goalies suck.. Having the goaltending position solved like we have is beautiful.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I think "back to earth" for Desmith is somewhere around average or slightly below (say 3.00 GAA and 0.900%). He is currently at 2.47 GAA and 0.924% - just my opinion, but I don't see him finishing the year with those gaudy statistics.

I probably came across as a bit anti Desmith.. I am not. I just want to see a full season before I make a judgement on his play.. its hard to evaluate a guy with ~40 NHL games under his belt.

You raise some good points though - the guy certainly has a track record of getting it done at every level. This deal is actually pretty decent from a risk reward perspective now that I think about it.

That would be a pretty severe regression... but even if it happened, 1.25m for that is not a big deal.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
Nothing not to like about this deal. Backup salary for a guy that has shown he can push an at times outplay your starter, albeit in a limited sample size. He's probably best as a guy playing less than 40 games, both to stay fresh and so teams don't scout him as much, but for what he will be asked to do he's perfect.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
Good. I was worried he'd quit hockey to follow his dream of being the first professional frisbee-golf player.
Believe it or not, there's a handful of guys actually making a living doing that. Not many, but a few. Prize winnings and supplier sponsorships.

The sport culture in this country might be a little out of control, no?

Edit: Top player in the sport just signed a $1M deal over 4 years to use Spincraft discs. This is not a joke.

Paul McBeth Signs Four Year Deal With Discraft | Ultiworld Disc Golf

Last edited:

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Aug 4, 2003
This space.
Believe it or not, there's a handful of guys actually making a living doing that. Not many, but a few. Prize winnings and supplier sponsorships.

The sport culture in this country might be a little out of control, no?

Edit: Top player in the sport just signed a $1M deal over 4 years to use Spincraft discs. This is not a joke.

Paul McBeth Signs Four Year Deal With Discraft | Ultiworld Disc Golf
No kidding eh? DeSmith made a big mistake. He could have been the next George Costanza.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
After seeing Koskinen DeSmith’s probably requesting a trade to the Oilers.

Seriously tho, glad this deal was done a few weeks ago. Oilers always screwing up the market.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
After seeing Koskinen DeSmith’s probably requesting a trade to the Oilers.

Seriously tho, glad this deal was done a few weeks ago. Oilers always screwing up the market.

Just because other people make asisine mistakes doesn’t make Desmith’s contract amazing.

As we’ve seen over the last couple games, Desmith has barely proved anything at the NHL level aside from being a back-up. He could’ve maybe gotten 2 mil in UFA. He took the contract that put him with a contender for at least the next few years.

Reactions: Shady Machine

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Just because other people make asisine mistakes doesn’t make Desmith’s contract amazing.

As we’ve seen over the last couple games, Desmith has barely proved anything at the NHL level aside from being a back-up. He could’ve maybe gotten 2 mil in UFA. He took the contract that put him with a contender for at least the next few years.

Even if Desmith regresses a bit I think it's still a good contract. I'd take him putting up a 910/year for the duration of the contract that price.

If he can be more in the 915-920 range it's a steal.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015

I never said it was an amazing contract, but this contract easily could have been leverage for him to get more or not sign with Pittsburgh at all.

But it is a fact someone paid a goalie with less experience and worse numbers better than him. It could have just as easily happened again or not who knows.

I just said I was glad it was done before. Not cause I think DeSmith or his contract is amazing, but I think its a solid deal for a guy who can be a decent backup for the next three years.

Reactions: EightyOne

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I never said it was an amazing contract, but this contract easily could have been leverage for him to get more or not sign with Pittsburgh at all.

But it is a fact someone paid a goalie with less experience and worse numbers better than him. It could have just as easily happened again or not who knows.

I just said I was glad it was done before. Not cause I think DeSmith or his contract is amazing, but I think its a solid deal for a guy who can be a decent backup for the next three years.

I honestly think Chia and that staff should be fired over that contract. Lol

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Not a fan.. would have preferred a 2 year deal

IMO, I am not a big fan of signing guys to contracts when they play above where they should in a limited # of games

The guy is a servicable backup goaltender, not some crazy high upside prospect - let's not forget that there was a time when Brent Johnson had a "hot" stretch

Even if he falls back down to earth and all we get is his average numbers... that's not a bad thing for 1.25m. And seeing how we will have to move Jarry (or trade DeSmith) this summer, 3 years gives us time to allow D'Orio to develop a little. Not to mention that if we wanted to bury this contract in the minors, that by year 3 I think we could bury almost all of it (if not all of it) and not even see a cap penalty (or much of one 1-200k).

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I honestly think Chia and that staff should be fired over that contract. Lol

With the amount of goalies who would have been available this summer, I don't know why you sign that contract at all right now. If it was 3m, sure, take that gamble... but 4.5m? Wait until the summer.

Reactions: EightyOne

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
That deal is so horrible. Even if it works out it just seems like a massive risk that's just not worth taking. Did they not see what happened with Darling?

Lol I agree, what’s terrifying is this is like the 8th thing he should have been fired for and still hasn’t

He's the Bylsma of GMs. Not only completely incompetent but surrounded by enablers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad