Confirmed with Link: Casey Desmith - 3 Years - 1.25 Per

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Is D'Orio the next guy on the depth chart after Jarry??

Back on topic. Well done GMJR.

Great signing.

This season, it's John Muse after Jarry. D'Orio can't play until his junior team is done and he just got traded to a contender.

Next season, who knows, but I imagine D'orio will have some veteran competition in WBS at least.

But yes, in terms of prospects, D'Orio is next and after him no one. A goalie pick at the draft sounds likely.

Reactions: Giskard

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The Penguins will probably just trade a mid to late round pick for a guy like Montoya, Pickard or Budaj if they trade Jarry. They'll go after a pending UFA or RFA 3rd goalie for a team that sucks and is going to be selling at the deadline.

My guess is that they'll trade like a 4th or 5th to Arizona for Pickard. Pickard may even be a guy worth re-signing after the year to be the 3rd goalie for next year, he's only a few years older than Jarry and has a good amount of NHL experience.

Reactions: Tom Hanks

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
insane that casey's side took this kind of contract considering what prospective starters are getting in the free agent market. this almost seems like a concession to be the backup in pittsburgh, which is strange considering how great desmith has been to start his nhl career. 2 years probably would have made more sense for his side. great deal for the penguins and will be especially important if murray falters again at any point.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
#3 goalies will be easily and cheaply attainable if JR puts Jarry in any deal.

Shouldn't be a problem. Tried to have a look on capfriendly to see who might be available.

McBackup (Carolina) - He'd be a great option but you'd have to sneak him through waivers.
Calvin Pickard (Arizona) - Currently in the NHL but on a conditioning stint in AHL.
Mike McKenna (Philly) - Can't see the Flyers helping us out.
Eddie Lack (New Jersey) - In the AHL but has only played 6 games for some reason.
Dustin Tokarski (Rangers) - In the AHL, decent numbers, 34 career NHL games.
Jared Cordeau (St Louis) - In the AHL, crap numbers, has a little bit of NHL experience.
Peter Budaj (Los Angeles) - In the AHL, crap numbers, relatively expensive (1.025 m caphit), plenty of NHL experience.

Reactions: Riikolas Revenge

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
This season, it's John Muse after Jarry. D'Orio can't play until his junior team is done and he just got traded to a contender.

Next season, who knows, but I imagine D'orio will have some veteran competition in WBS at least.

But yes, in terms of prospects, D'Orio is next and after him no one. A goalie pick at the draft sounds likely.
Ok, thanks Peat!

Yeah, the bolded was the basis of my query.

Reactions: Peat

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Lack has a torn labrum so he's out for the year. But yeah, there are plenty of options and you can add Montoya to that list too.

I think Montoya would probably be my pick. His numbers are relatively ok at the NHL level, Budaj has had a higher peak but much lower troughs.

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
3062080.gif

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Hard not to like this. I’d have been iffy on a 3rd year but that also likely kept the yearly hit lower, and really DeSmith has been consistently good with no significant dips in play since he was in college so the chance of him just crumbling is probably pretty low. Solid backup at a good age that’s proven you can run with him for stretches and not miss a beat, and he seems well-liked by his teammates too. Perfect.

D'Orio can be in WBS next season, right? Or is he back to Junior?

Yeah he’ll be in WB/S. And ideally you get a semi-veteran to split duties with him or be an emergency call-up, like Tokarski.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
DeSmith has definitely proven that he’s at least a decent NHL backup. Can’t be mad.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
Darling had two full years as a backup though before his Carolina deal, 29 GP in 15-16 and 32 in 16-17 along with 14 in 14-15. DeSmith will probably finish with around 35GP this year but he only had 14 GP last year.

This is true but darling also got 4.1 million a year for four years when the cap was 73 mil.

I am not saying DeSmith would have gotten the 3mil, but I would also not be surprised to see someone over pay in free agency and offer 2.5-3 million on a short term deal.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Yeah he’ll be in WB/S. And ideally you get a semi-veteran to split duties with him or be an emergency call-up, like Tokarski.

Agreed, if Murray or DeSmith went down in pre-season you wouldn't want to pick between D'Orio and Muse as your opening night backup.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I don’t think I was aware that Mike Buckley was his goalie coach at UNH.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
What an amazing deal. Here's a stat for you:

Among all goalies who've played at least 25 games this year, DeSmith is #1 in SV%.

Once more for emphasis: our back-up goalie has the #1 SV% in the league with a starter's workload halfway through the season. That's nuts. And he's only 27 years old? f*** yes you sign him to a 3 year deal at 1.25 mil per.

Perfect platoon for Murray, who's yet to play 50 games in a season. JR doing god's work.

Jarry the sweetener to Seattle to pick Johnson?

I don't like the prospect of holding onto Johnson for that long.

That's what she said.

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
Not a fan.. would have preferred a 2 year deal

IMO, I am not a big fan of signing guys to contracts when they play above where they should in a limited # of games

There's a concept in statistical analysis called "reversion to the mean" - people on this forum don't seem to grasp that concept at all.

I have to laugh when folks suggest that he should start over Murray and that he is just as good as Murray, lol..

I predict that he'll certainly start coming back to earth in his upcoming performances

The guy is a servicable backup goaltender, not some crazy high upside prospect - let's not forget that there was a time when Brent Johnson had a "hot" stretch

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
Does the third year have to do with expansion?
Yeah, I'd say it played a role. IIRC, the rules state that you must expose 1 goaltender who is under contract. Him being on an expiring contract that year would make things more difficult.

A 3rd year at that hit is a no brainer.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

IMO, I am not a big fan of signing guys to contracts when they play above where they should in a limited # of games

There's a concept in statistical analysis called "reversion to the mean" - people on this forum don't seem to grasp that concept at all.

Limited number of games? DeSmith has played 76 career AHL games and 40 career NHL games and has impressive career numbers in both leagues. His contract is great for a goalie with his track record.

Reversion to the mean? What mean? He's been a quality goaltender for his entire 116 game professional career. He's obviously not going to stay #1 in SV%, but nobody expects that, and if he did he'd be worth a hell of a lot more than 1.25 mil per.

I have to laugh when folks suggest that he should start over Murray and that he is just as good as Murray, lol..

I predict that he'll certainly start coming back to earth in his upcoming performances

The guy is a servicable backup goaltender, not some crazy high upside prospect - let's not forget that there was a time when Brent Johnson had a "hot" stretch

Who's supposed to be saying this?

Nobody thinks he's a crazy upside prospect. He's a very good back-up, and 1.25 mil is a steal for a very good back-up.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002

What is the mean or “back to earth” for DeSmith though? He had a .923 save percentage in college, .915 in the ECHL and .919 in the AHL. I wouldn’t describe his development as being “thrown to the wolves” but he wasn’t really handled with an NHL future in mind and didn’t get the coddling and kid gloves of actual prospects like Jarry but he still outperformed him basically all the time.

Also $1.25 million is probably low even for an average backup these days, so if there’s a drop in his play it’s not a huge deal. Kinkaid makes the same amount, Kuemper $1.8, Aaron Dell makes $1.9, Khudobin $2.5, Bernier $3 and Reimer $3.4. Any backup making less is probably still on an ELC.

And Brent Johnson was an excellent backup [and made then about what DeSmith will be making next season when considering cap inflation I’ll bet] until age and injuries turned him into garbage. DeSmith is 27 so, yeah there’s not huge upside but his body shouldn’t be breaking down anytime soon.

And it’s pretty low risk since a good chunk of the deal can be buried in the minors if his game does suddenly go to shit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad