GDT: CARWAS: Workin' At the Carwash!

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
I mean that's one of the hardest goals to score even with time to shoot, lefty from the left side. We should have switched it up or added a wrinkle to this awhile ago now.

I'm not sure what they can do with this personnel. Svechnikov is the team's threat to score from distance. Necas's one-timer is a work in progress and I'm being generous. A point shot from a defenseman is naturally inefficient; Hamilton has just 2 PPGs on the season thus far. Dzingel hasn't done much in the goalscoring department this year.

Maybe switch the sides, but we haven't seen Svechnikov one time many pucks at any strength.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
I'm not sure what they can do with this personnel. Svechnikov is the team's threat to score from distance. Necas's one-timer is a work in progress and I'm being generous. A point shot from a defenseman is naturally inefficient; Hamilton has just 2 PPGs on the season thus far. Dzingel hasn't done much in the goalscoring department this year.

Maybe switch the sides, but we haven't seen Svechnikov one time many pucks at any strength.
They just need to work on puck movement and quick shots. They're taking too much time on both as of now. Obviously it's easier said than done but they're trying to do things by brute force even when opportunities aren't there for the taking. Aho needs to start working himself a position to score. He's too stationary whether that's by design or his own play.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
this is going to be controversial because RBA is viewed as a deity coach by some, but his insistence on yelling and screaming every time the team gets a bad penalty called on them or the officials "miss" a call that should go in our favor, he's putting us further behind the eight ball. officials have never responded well to that and never will. call them over during a tv timeout and express yourself or show them a replay or whatever you have to do, but shooting hand signals across the ice is amateurish and a case of RBA's passion overriding the best interests of the team. he still has a player's mentality about penalties and he needs to get that under control. it's hurting the team. there are very, very few times i have seen a team get a somewhat cheap 5 on 3 call on them, go on to kill it off, and then not get a favorable call at some point later in the game. it's not supposed to be that way, but it is that way and has been as long as i can remember. these explosive outbursts from the bench might be a welcome change for the fans from the smug resignation of bill peters, but it doesn't play as well to some audiences.

I understand your point, but I think it worked tonight. You can argue that it would have worked had Roddy not gone nuts because that's how it's done, but we got three power plays in the second and at least one of them was pretty soft.

In the specific instance of tonight, I think Rod was mad at the team, and not really the refs. Our penalties were penalties. Our forwards generated nothing. Rod was upset.

I'm frustrated with Rod because he's similarly stubborn to Peters in his desire to not make in-game changes. He is dead-set on if we "get to our game," we'll be OK. Rod has more of a right to feel that way than Peters ever did, but at the same time, when we're clearly struggling to generate anything -- like tonight -- it wouldn't hurt to switch around a winger or two.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
They just need to work on puck movement and quick shots. They're taking too much time on both as of now. Obviously it's easier said than done but they're trying to do things by brute force even when opportunities aren't there for the taking. Aho needs to start working himself a position to score. He's too stationary whether that's by design or his own play.

Williams maybe could help in that regard. I see Aho get the puck at or below the goalline and the play dies there. Haula's stick positioning is a problem. Not that he's doing anything wrong, but Aho has to go across a LHS's body to get a pass through to the slot. It should be less awkward for Williams and his RHS to pop out into the slot and for Aho to pass away from the traffic. That two-man game would hopefully re-open space up high. We may not see Williams assume that role for a while, however.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Williams maybe could help in that regard. I see Aho get the puck at or below the goalline and the play dies there. Haula's stick positioning is a problem. Not that he's doing anything wrong, but Aho has to go across a LHS's body to get a pass through to the slot. It should be less awkward for Williams and his RHS to pop out into the slot and for Aho to pass away from the traffic. That two-man game would hopefully re-open space up high. We may not see Williams assume that role for a while, however.
Yeah we really need a right shooting forward option on the PP. It'll give a new wrinkle for teams to watch for sure at the very least.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
It’s just not a game where I accept that the other goalie played exceptionally. I saw not one shot that should’ve....by right... beaten the goalie and he pulled off a miraculous save. He just didn’t let any crap in.

This isn’t about Peters, but the difference in discipline in taking penalties from Peters to Rod is night and day different. Stupid stick plays all night. We used to be the least penalized team and now we’re a shit show. We’re at the point where guys need to be benched if they take a call or something to get them to knock it off.

Aho isn’t playing good enough lately. Svech was invisible.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Penalty min leaders for Canes:

1. Edmundson
2. Svechnikov
3. Hamilton
4. Nino
5. Gardiner
6. Staal
7. Dzingel
8. Foegele

The only guy on that list that was here under Peters is Staal, and he’s #6 while doing the heavy lifting. You’re probably right that it’s not about Peters, it’s about the different roster makeup. Unfortunately, that means it’s likely harder to fix. Slavin, Pesce, Aho, McGinn, TT, TVR, and Fleury aren’t taking excessive penalties and even Staals numbers aren’t high when adjusted for toi.

ClarkBolzano

Oct 12, 2018
I mea
Wasn’t too hard to predict. We barely scraped by LA, and if not for a good minute or two against Phoenix, it’d have been the same situation there. Our offense has been anemic lately, in large part to a disappearing act from Aho, Svech and TT. Foegle and Wallmark have been our most dangerous forwards since the new year, and that’s not a winning situation in the long run.

I’m hoping they’ll turn it around, but it’s so hard to watch them lately.
I mean, you are completely right. But put teuvo with Staal and Foegele and guess what will happen to his production. Or you put teuvo to the first line with Staal and Svech or you switch Dzingel and Foegele. Svech needs so to finish his passes (Dzingel) or so to create some space and chances for him (teuvo). Both could be options.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Penalty min leaders for Canes:

1. Edmundson
2. Svechnikov
3. Hamilton
4. Nino
5. Gardiner
6. Staal
7. Dzingel
8. Foegele

The only guy on that list that was here under Peters is Staal, and he’s #6 while doing the heavy lifting. You’re probably right that it’s not about Peters, it’s about the different roster makeup. Unfortunately, that means it’s likely harder to fix. Slavin, Pesce, Aho, McGinn, TT, TVR, and Fleury aren’t taking excessive penalties and even Staals numbers aren’t high when adjusted for toi.

Why is Nino taking that many penalties? Svech obviously is the biggest stupid penalty offender but at least he scores sometimes and is a teenager.

He’s the most frustrating player on the team right now. He generates nothing on his own and can’t do anything with it when something is generated for him. And then he takes dipshit penalties on top of it. And is taking up $5+ million for the next 3 years. I wouldn’t be surprised if they try to dump him off on some team if Williams looks competent in the lineup.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Why is Nino taking that many penalties? Svech obviously is the biggest stupid penalty offender but at least he scores sometimes and is a teenager.

He’s the most frustrating player on the team right now. He generates nothing on his own and can’t do anything with it when something is generated for him. And then he takes dip**** penalties on top of it. And is taking up $5+ million for the next 3 years. I wouldn’t be surprised if they try to dump him off on some team if Williams looks competent in the lineup.

Agree. He seems to have had a few seasons of high PIM prior to coming to Carolina as well. 44 in 13/14 and 53 in 16/17. I agree though, why is he taking so many?
Dougie is always 50-60+ PIM, so that's not new. Adding Dougie over Hanifin pretty much adds 20 more penalties.
Dzingel is a little high, but probably because of the fight he had. His minors don't look out of the norm.
Gardiner's seem out of the norm. Never had more than 34 min in any season and he already has 24.
Edmundson also typically a high penalty guy. Replacing Faulk with him adds 10 or so more penalties.

So a simplified look. Canes averaged 215 minors / season under Peters. They are averaging 290 / season in the 1.5 seasons under Brindy, so 75 more.

Hamilton vs. Hanifin: ~20 more minor penalties.
Edmundson over Faulk: ~10 more minor penalties
Nino over Rask: ~10 more minor penalities (not even accounting for his higher seasons).
Svech over Skinner: ~15 more minor penalties
Foegele over Lindholm adds ~5-10.

Plus Gardiner having a large number of penalties vs. his norm and Nino having one of his "high" years and it's pretty clear why the Canes are taking more penalties and to me, it's driven more by the change in personnel, which is more worrisome to me.

I'm not suggesting that Brindy shouldn't try to do something about it (and I can't say he isn't), but some of these guys likely aren't going to change their stripes.

Last edited:

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Nino's penalty count is probably higher because he's getting more ice time than normal while playing on the top line, and he sucks right now, so he's trying to cheat simply to get something going. And doing a pisspoor job of hiding his cheating from the refs.

Reactions: zman77 and Tryamw

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Frustration could definitely be a factor as well.
So he's already playing bad, and now he's allowing himself to get frustrated and take stupid penalties to make these issues even worse?

That sounds like someone who could benefit from a few games of being healthy scratched to get his head on straight.

And if they can't fix it, trade him for whatever you can get.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
So he's already playing bad, and now he's allowing himself to get frustrated and take stupid penalties to make these issues even worse?

Is that really surprising? Hockey players frequently do stupid stuff after getting frustrated. I'm not excusing Nino, but it's not surprising.

Maybe he will sit a game or two when Williams is ready. Who knows.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC

That sounds like someone who could benefit from a few games of being healthy scratched to get his head on straight.

And if they can't fix it, trade him for whatever you can get.

Whatever, you say?

Victor-Rask-Wild-2019-575x383.jpg

Reactions: Tryamw

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I still think Nino is fine other than the penalties. He’s a big body that forechecks well, plays his own end well, and does have the skill to score.

We’ve played McGinn in that spot....

I’ll take Nino there all day long and I don’t think he’s negatively affecting the other two. He compliments them well whether he’s scoring or not. Despite their point totals I’m not all that impressed with the seasons the other two are putting up. I’d split those two up for a few games just for giggles.

I’d bet money that if Williams can skate Rod will go back to Williams and Nino with Aho if he gets the chance.

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sponsor
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State
How do you fix the lack of mental fortitude? Is it simply a result of their youth/inexperience or something more? They appear to get rattled easily and off the rails they go some nights.

Also, what about team dynamics and roles - they seem to be influx as well. The primary contributors have the same yet different roles now with others contributing points and sharing the limelight this season. Do you think that it is a relief for them to have a little less pressure and thus, they become more passive - easier for them to phone it in at times?

Forslund was saying if our top tier of players do not get it together, we won't be able to compete and win against the upper echelon regardless of the effort put forth by the rest of them. The radio host was like don't you wanna save Williams debut for a home game for the fan spectacle and he was like no we need him for a win now.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
How do you fix the lack of mental fortitude? Is it simply a result of their youth/inexperience or something more? They appear to get rattled easily and off the rails they go some nights.

Maybe the team isn't as good as some think it is and mental fortitude has nothing to do with it? Their last 3 losses are against WSH, TBL, and WSH...so a team that won the cup 2 years ago and is currently the best team in the east and a team that had 128 points last year and just went on a 10 game winning streak. Tampa and WSH got the lead these last two and just clamped down, which is what teams like that do.

I still think they have more offensive talent than last year, but clearly the #4 and 5 D aren't as solid as last year. Goaltending is similar to last year, but remember, they needed an insane 2nd half run by Mrazek just to get into the playoffs last year.

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
Despite their point totals I’m not all that impressed with the seasons the other two are putting up.
Glad you used "despite." Otherwise I would think this is a perfect example of what my history professor was talking about when he devoted a class to "revolutions of rising expectations." People get a little taste of happiness and then attack those who provided it.
Teravainen is on pace for 61 assists—that is more points than the team leader had in 12-13, 13-14, 14-15, and 15-16. It is more assists than the top two assist leaders had in 15-16 and only two less than the top two had in 16-17. Sure that is a low bar, but when added to the fact that Aho and TT are the most dangerous penalty killers in the league that is pretty good.

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sponsor
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State
Didn't NJ beat them both of them handily back to back? Washington and Tampa Bay? I am not saying they aren't good teams but they can be beaten by lesser opponents.

I think the jury is still out on our team re: our capabilities but from what I am seeing they lack composure at times which can derive from a lack of mental toughness.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Didn't NJ beat them both of them handily back to back? Washington and Tampa Bay? I am not saying they aren't good teams but they can be beaten by lesser opponents.

I think the jury is still out on our team re: our capabilities but from what I am seeing they lack composure at times which can derive from a lack of mental toughness.

The Canes won 2 and lost 1 vs. TBL this year and won 2 and lost 2 against the Caps this year. I don't think it's reasonable to think the Canes would go undefeated against them.

I can't comment on "mental toughness" because I'm not in the room, but I can comment on that the team still has some holes and are on pace for the 2nd best regular season point total in franchise history. I'm not saying they don't have mental toughness issues, maybe they do, but if the jury is still out on the team's capabilities, it's just as much out on their mental toughness.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad