Player Discussion: Carter Verhaeghe

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
My only regret/gripe is that we never give guys a look on scoring lines unless they're insanely talented. Point and Cirelli forced their way in, but it's hard to know what we have in some of these kids when they only get a real look if someone is injured.

Even Point needed a rush of injuries to get his first chance on a top six line in 2017.
Remember Kucherov didn't get a look until we had like five injuries elsewhere.

Cooper relies on the people he feels comfortable with to a fault. Johnson got looks on the top line last night? What is that?

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
My only regret/gripe is that we never give guys a look on scoring lines unless they're insanely talented. Point and Cirelli forced their way in, but it's hard to know what we have in some of these kids when they only get a real look if someone is injured.

Even Point needed a rush of injuries to get his first chance on a top six line in 2017.

Right now I'm looking at Mathieu Joseph and thinking he could be a real weapon if we let him play with skilled linemates. Almost like a super fast version of Alex Killorn.
Totally agree with clarification. Some would want to just put up every young guy in the top 6 just because its a new toy. Verhaghe showed he he the ability to play up but was not given a chance. Stephens has shown spurts he might be able to play up as well. Stephens is not going to get that chance as long as the center situation is what it is. I can not see why people are so high on Joseph, he has crapped a few goals he is not good in puck pocession spends as much time on his butt when he trys to forecheck than he does skating. His hockey IQ is poor he does not create and is just average at finishing. 38 points in 119 games nothing there to give you a warm and fuzzy.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Remember Kucherov didn't get a look until we had like five injuries elsewhere.

Cooper relies on the people he feels comfortable with to a fault. Johnson got looks on the top line last night? What is that?

I think what's happening with Johnson right now is the same thing that happened with Teddy Purcell and Ryan Malone -- we're desperate to trade him, so we're trying to inflate his numbers.

And yeah, I most definitely remember Kucherov. I think it was an injury to Brett Connolly, of all people (who played for Cooper in Syracuse too), that finally got him a look.

Reactions: 2020 Cup Champions

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
He could be a real weapon if we let him play with skilled linemates.
Or, and bear with me here, we could keep him down on the 4th line and fail to qualify him. :naughty: Watch him blossom after we took him and our special relationship for granted. :naughty:

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Totally agree with clarification. Some would want to just put up every young guy in the top 6 just because its a new toy. Verhaghe showed he he the ability to play up but was not given a chance. Stephens has shown spurts he might be able to play up as well. Stephens is not going to get that chance as long as the center situation is what it is. I can not see why people are so high on Joseph, he has crapped a few goals he is not good in puck pocession spends as much time on his butt when he trys to forecheck than he does skating. His hockey IQ is poor he does not create and is just average at finishing. 38 points in 119 games nothing there to give you a warm and fuzzy.

Verhaeghe showed flashes, but they weren't JAM-level flashes. Like, JAM would beat a squared up goalie with a wrister once in a while, and it made you wonder why we weren't using that. With Verhaeghe, there were flashes of creativity.

I don't see it at all with Stephens. He's never been a scorer at any level, so I don't see why we would expect more from him now. I think he's a poor man's Ryan Callahan at center, and he's probably going to be an average 4th line center at best.

What Joseph brings is speed up the wall. It shakes up opposing defenses to have him blow by, which would create opportunities for our more skilled players. I don't think Joseph is a superstar by any means, but his game is so simple that it's hard for it not to be effective. He can get you zone time and create chaos in defenses, which is what our stars need to operate. I think he could be a 40+ point guy in a good situation, without PP time.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Stephens has shown nothing, he's a hard worker but he's easily out muscled and really has no offensive touch at this level.

CV would randomly have those rushes like he did multiple times last night and leave you saying "where did that come from?" Problem was he was on the 4th line with a short leash, if he diverted too often from dump and chase he would've seen the bench.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
We're kind of spoiled at this point, but it is quite frustrating to have seen a guy be so good and then watch JAM and CV walk off the squad for nothing and establish themselves while watching a guy who was so important in the 2015-2016 push decline with this contract that's tough to move. Enjoy him and get ready for the next round of cast offs.
Haha! Eh it’s an embarrassment of riches when the guys blocked in the fourth can play well on the first although I do think there is a Barkov factor here too

Don't downplay your team, while true we were without the big two you guys are dangerous. Coach Q is doing a great job. The weakness you have is in net I have seen every Panthers game this year and I can not find a reason Bob should still be a starter. Other than his pay level.
Thanks for the kind words: obviously if we lost Barky and Huby we would not be doing as well as you are ;)

Bob is weird and you’re right with his contract although he played his two best games of the season the past two games so that’s a look up!

Im excited to see if we can get a cross state rivalry going!

Reactions: 2020 Cup Champions

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Verhaeghe showed flashes, but they weren't JAM-level flashes. Like, JAM would beat a squared up goalie with a wrister once in a while, and it made you wonder why we weren't using that. With Verhaeghe, there were flashes of creativity.

I don't see it at all with Stephens. He's never been a scorer at any level, so I don't see why we would expect more from him now. I think he's a poor man's Ryan Callahan at center, and he's probably going to be an average 4th line center at best.

What Joseph brings is speed up the wall. It shakes up opposing defenses to have him blow by, which would create opportunities for our more skilled players. I don't think Joseph is a superstar by any means, but his game is so simple that it's hard for it not to be effective. He can get you zone time and create chaos in defenses, which is what our stars need to operate. I think he could be a 40+ point guy in a good situation, without PP time.

Marchessault scored 8 goals with us, the way you talk about him you'd think he was a 20 goal scorer we let walk. He had some good plays but he wasn't that special where it looked like a massive loss. It wasn't even because we really didn't have a role that would've let him become the player he did.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Marchessault scored 8 goals with us, the way you talk about him you'd think he was a 20 goal scorer we let walk. He had some good plays but he wasn't that special where it looked like a massive loss. It wasn't even because we really didn't have a role that would've let him become the player he did.
Didn't mean to frame it that way. When he left, I thought he could be a 40 or 50 point guy elsewhere. I said it at the time. Didn't think he would be as good as he got.

NatoGhost

Jun 27, 2013
CV looked real good is his limited play during the stanley cup final run. Probably part of his confidence right now. Had some good chances and that goal called back didn't he? He was primed for taking a step. It's too bad we let him go...but yes we were tight to cap and didnt have a bunch of room for him in the top 6...but still, would have like to make it happen somehow. Can't win them all but still sucks when you lose!

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
He has 6 goals and an asst since Barkov got hurt. His 17 goals is more than any Lightning player this year. his 30 points is one less than Stammer and Palat and the same as Point his point total doubles what Joseph has and Volkov is gone. My question is how did the coaching staff miss this. It is not like his game has changed any his TOI just doubled in Fl. The argument that he has rode Barkov to this success does not hold water. He signed 2 years 1 mil per on a rival that chaps my ass too.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Yep unless somebody's got a time machine and some jedi mind tricks up their sleeve to get someone to take TJ, it's pointless agonizing about this every damn week.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Can we lock this already? He left because a) we didn't have the space, and b) he wanted a guaranteed spot and we weren't going to do that.

We couldn't move Johnson. That sucks. Verhaege is making the most of his opportunity. Good for him. We can move on.
I'll be telling my grandkids how the Lightning's 2020 Cup win will always by shadowed by them losing Carter Verhaeghe the following off season.

Major4Boarding

Unfamiliar Moderator
Jan 30, 2009
South of Heaven
Let it go.gif

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Yep unless somebody's got a time machine and some jedi mind tricks up their sleeve to get someone to take TJ, it's pointless agonizing about this every damn week.

If there was a time machine teams would've pulled out a 39 1/2 foot pole to keep away from Johnson at the time instead of the 6 foot pole they had been using

NatoGhost

Jun 27, 2013
I get the frustration. None of us predicted this type of jump from him but you could see he was close to turning the corner. There were flashes including the goal called back in the playoffs etc.

But we were in a tight spot so it's hard to be too tough on JBB and staff. Still stings a bit but oh well. Can't win every move.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia