Player Discussion: Carter Verhaeghe

bov

Nov 13, 2010
My only nitpick at this point is his refusal to engage physically, from that standpoint I think he's a bit too easy to play against as opponents know he won't bother finishing a check. It hasn't mattered much but when the going gets tough, I'm curious if he holds up.

That said, he has really exceeded my expectations since his rough start to the season. He seems to have a knack for sneaking up on the puck carrier and forcing turnovers, and his linemates have done a nice job of doing the "dirty work" while Verhaeghe buzzes around and finds space to make/finish plays. Stephens has a lot to do with it, and their chemistry has been very impressive considering the lack of experience.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
he’s a bad 4th liner tho,

Players like Stephens can adapt to that role

Ie. Connor brown playing 4th line in Toronto

Why is he because he doesn't hit like a 4th line? You don't have to be a banger to play the 4th line if you do your job right. Instead of getting in on the forecheck with speed and physical play he sits back a little and reads the play, he uses stick work and positioning to deter the other team. Offensively instead of the dump and chase he can carry the puck in, uses his stick handling to keep the puck away and he sees what his linemates are doing to get them the puck. He doesn't just rely on hoping the defender makes a bad pass under pressure. He's always been a player that uses their IQ to get the job done, at the start his brain was going to fast for his body to keep up. Now that's he comfortable it's clicking much better and he has linemates who think the game well and can see what he's thinking as well. I prefer bottom 6's that are dangerous instead of ones that you only expect a big hit from, it takes advantage of teams with bad bottom pairs and forces teams to adjust their defensive deployment or else they'll get lit up which allows the top 6 more chances.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Why is he because he doesn't hit like a 4th line? You don't have to be a banger to play the 4th line if you do your job right. Instead of getting in on the forecheck with speed and physical play he sits back a little and reads the play, he uses stick work and positioning to deter the other team. Offensively instead of the dump and chase he can carry the puck in, uses his stick handling to keep the puck away and he sees what his linemates are doing to get them the puck. He doesn't just rely on hoping the defender makes a bad pass under pressure. He's always been a player that uses their IQ to get the job done, at the start his brain was going to fast for his body to keep up. Now that's he comfortable it's clicking much better and he has linemates who think the game well and can see what he's thinking as well. I prefer bottom 6's that are dangerous instead of ones that you only expect a big hit from, it takes advantage of teams with bad bottom pairs and forces teams to adjust their defensive deployment or else they'll get lit up which allows the top 6 more chances.

Did he and Stephens play together much in Syracuse? They seemed to click instantly.

Reactions: LoSTRaMaiR

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Did he and Stephens play together much in Syracuse? They seemed to click instantly.

Not too much from what I recall. I don't remember much from the 17-18 season so that could be when they played the most. Last year the top 6 was Barre-Boulet - Andreoff - Conacher then Volkov - Dumont - Verheaghe to start, when Verheaghe started to get hot and Andreoff cooled off they put Verheaghe at center on the top line. Stephen's only played 32 games last year, I believe he started with Volkov and Raddysh before getting hurt and Colton centered that line. After he came back he was kinda all over the lineup I believe. I don't think they played PP1 together either as that was ABB - Verheaghe - Conacher - Guance and I believe Andreoff? So I'm not sure why they have such good chemistry besides from just practicing together.

Reactions: Sila v Kucherove

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014

He is playing better. If he keeps this up I would agree.

If he can’t keep it up he’s useless and has to go.

some players can go in scoring slumps and be effective. Ie Gourde

Carter is not really one of those players.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
He is playing better. If he keeps this up I would agree.

If he can’t keep it up he’s useless and has to go.

some players can go in scoring slumps and be effective. Ie Gourde

Carter is not really one of those players.

How is he useless and ineffective? He has the best puck possession numbers of any forward and his shots for vs against is really high. His scoring per 60 is better than Palat. He has more takeaways than giveaways, he has more takeaways than Maroon or Johnson. He has the same number of hits as Point. He isn't your typical physical 4th liner but that type of player sometimes is a bad thing. Witkowski was leading the league in hits when he was sent down but he was also a possession black hole and his shots against was through the roof, he was terrible. I rather not have that type of player and have a Verheaghe type who can create offense, with a little more luck and some extra confidence the points will keep coming .

Reactions: Chromolith

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Still think he could be an intriguing piece. Feels like he progressed a good bit this season, and started to show some of those offensive instincts.

I think he has a place on the team next season if he keeps developing, especially if we could move on from one of Gourde or Johnson.

Reactions: Whoshattenkirkshoes

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
Still think he could be an intriguing piece. Feels like he progressed a good bit this season, and started to show some of those offensive instincts.

I think he has a place on the team next season if he keeps developing, especially if we could move on from one of Gourde or Johnson.
100 percent agree. He made great strides. Looking forward to him next year

Reactions: DFC

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012
Verhaeghe is a strong offensive player but is he elite enough to survive on that only ? He lacks in all other facets of the game. What I’m trying to say is can he survive as a one dimensional offensive player ? If I want a one dimensional player I would choose Barre Boulet over VC every time.

Reactions: Whoshattenkirkshoes

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
Stephens over Maroon is my pipe dream. I guess we don't fully understand the so called character intangibles Maroon brings.

Because Maroon sucks at hockey

waterboy65

Jul 7, 2017
CV had a couple of bursts against Toronto last night that completely shocked me. Granted he was unable to finish but his skating has dramatically improved just since the start of the year. He looks like he will be a very capable 3rd line wing who could steal some 2nd line shifts depending upon matchups if he continues down this development path!

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
Another bottom 6 gem for Tampa. Lou was a dumbass to give up on this kid so quickly.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Welp I think we let one get away. I liked his game here but thought he could have been better if he was given a chance in the top 6. He has been impressive beside Barkov and if they can get Duclair putting the puck in the net this is going to be a dangerous line. I got a feeling that Stephens is in a similar situation he is better than playing 4th line but we have no spot for him.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
Welp I think we let one get away. I liked his game here but thought he could have been better if he was given a chance in the top 6. He has been impressive beside Barkov and if they can get Duclair putting the puck in the net this is going to be a dangerous line. I got a feeling that Stephens is in a similar situation he is better than playing 4th line but we have no spot for him.
There was no way of paying him. Stephens isn't going to magically become a scoring winger, what you see is what you get.

OdinsFury

Oct 2, 2020
My understanding was that CV left as a FA before Kucherov injury/surgery became a reality. Thus when CV was not signed it was based on assumption that Bolts would have to shed serious salary for cap space. As it turns out, they probably could have kept CV and not resigned Maroon/Rutta. But hindsight is 20-20.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad