Carter Rowney

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Three years for Carter Rowney - three years at a million plus - might be the single most confusing thing I've seen in free agency.

Look, like, 2017 he was decent. He banged, he cycled, he was on pace for 21 points, killed penalties well, wasn't too slow... just a nice 4th liner.

2017-2018 he was like an entirely different player and worse in every single way. It seems dubious whether he'd even be an affective AHLer (when obviously he is, that's why he's here).

I've no idea which one is the true Rowney. Probably somewhere in the middle. But 3.4m over 3? Whut?

Reactions: Goku

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
His agent is a magician. Literally.
Or our GM is a sucker for overpaying for below average role players (or maybe both :laugh:). Rowney just joins a long list of overpaid (in term and $$$) players we've signed in the last few years - Fistric (3 years), Bieksa (2+1 years), Stoner (4 years), Vermette (2 years), Boll (2 years), Rowney (3 years) to name a few, all but Boll got easily over 1m AAV too.

Reactions: BHD

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
The Ducks signed Carter Rowney. What should Ducks fans expect?

Appreciate your input.

You just signed an AHL player who could be inserted as an emergency option to PK if you have injuries to your regular 12 man forward group.

He's a dime a dozen tweener who brings very little to the table.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

A 3 year deal for Rowney.

What in the world is going on with these GM.

giphy.gif

Reactions: Badfish87

SirBrad

Sep 30, 2009
Wow that contract is laughable. I thought for sure it was a joke and had to look it up.

Amazing he was just able to set himself up for life based on, we’ll, I don’t know what.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Wow that contract is laughable. I thought for sure it was a joke and had to look it up.

Amazing he we just able to set himself up for life based on, we’ll, I don’t know what.

That one shift against Ottawa last year when he hit some people.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Three years for Carter Rowney - three years at a million plus - might be the single most confusing thing I've seen in free agency.

Look, like, 2017 he was decent. He banged, he cycled, he was on pace for 21 points, killed penalties well, wasn't too slow... just a nice 4th liner.

2017-2018 he was like an entirely different player and worse in every single way. It seems dubious whether he'd even be an affective AHLer (when obviously he is, that's why he's here).

I've no idea which one is the true Rowney. Probably somewhere in the middle. But 3.4m over 3? Whut?

I feel like his effort wasn’t the same last season and then he kept getting hurt. Idk if the good run was adrenaline, his body couldn’t keep it up or he got complacent.

I really don’t think he’s a 21 point player though. He has 3 points in 23 playoff games but they all came in 1 game and last season he had 5 points in 44 RS games. I’m going to guess that’s closer to what he is and the 7 in 27 was an anomaly.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I feel like his effort wasn’t the same last season and then he kept getting hurt. Idk if the good run was adrenaline, his body couldn’t keep it up or he got complacent.

I really don’t think he’s a 21 point player though. He has 3 points in 23 playoff games but they all came in 1 game and last season he had 5 points in 44 RS games. I’m going to guess that’s closer to what he is and the 7 in 27 was an anomaly.

Of course he's not a 21 point player but that time when he was, that was pretty cool by 4th liner standards.

Also, the descent from "genuinely good scoring rates" to "uhm" is a neat short hand illustrator for our many problems with him.

Also, my mind has been an absolute mess this evening, but this contract has brought me some solace as for a crucial minute, there was room for nothing in my head other than "Who on earth would give Carter Rowney 3 years at a mil plus?"

Also also also... I know it's not how its meant to work, but damn do I feel better about Johnson's contract.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Of course he's not a 21 point player but that time when he was, that was pretty cool by 4th liner standards.

Also, the descent from "genuinely good scoring rates" to "uhm" is a neat short hand illustrator for our many problems with him.

It’s probably one of those times we point at sample size but I’d love to have seen that balance out over 82 games. He didn’t really have skill but he lost something over the off season and Sullivan ignored it.

Also, my mind has been an absolute mess this evening, but this contract has brought me some solace as for a crucial minute, there was room for nothing in my head other than "Who on earth would give Carter Rowney 3 years at a mil plus?"

Also also also... I know it's not how its meant to work, but damn do I feel better about Johnson's contract.

:(

Reactions: Peat

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
It’s probably one of those times we point at sample size but I’d love to have seen that balance out over 82 games. He didn’t really have skill but he lost something over the off season and Sullivan ignored it.

That survival instinct or whatever you want to call it when an AHL player gives 110% and will go through a wall every night because he knows even one bad shift will see him sent down. Rowney had that last season, but this season he played more like a guy who felt his spot in the NHL was safe.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
That survival instinct or whatever you want to call it when an AHL player gives 110% and will go through a wall every night because he knows even one bad shift will see him sent down. Rowney had that last season, but this season he played more like a guy who felt his spot in the NHL was safe.

God only knows how he'll feel and act now. Three years.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve

Yeah, I think that’s what it was and then he kept getting proved right. Maybe some speed too. It doesn’t bode well for Anaheim.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
We should use this on any FA's that we make offers to. "We made Carter Rowney a multimillionaire. Imagine what we can do for your career. "

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I'm in shock. Was upset about one year. But three. Jesus.

If it makes you feel any better, you only have to suffer watching Rowney...

Isles fans have to watch both Kuhnhackel and Komo... and they lost their franchise pivot.

Feel better now?

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Here were my top 3 complaints last year:

Signing Sheary to block Sprong - X
Rowney making the team as a 4C- X
Reliance on Kuhnackl when he wasn't producing- X

Funny how close JR came to completing my offseason verbatim. I had the Pens signing Johnson and Trading Kessel to Arizona with Domi + in return. From what I hear that almost happened but Arizona did not want Phil's contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00