Carter Rowney

Woodrow

Dec 8, 2005
It really doesn't make any sense that a 29 year old 4th liner with 71 total NHL regular season games (split over two seasons) got a 3 year contract. They must have thought they were signing someone else like the Leafs did when they signed Finger to that ridiculous deal. I wish him well though and hope he makes the most of it.

Expect loathing that 3 year contract about 40 games into the season.
I think the cap hit is low enough that he could be buried in the minors and not count against the cap if it really came to that. So even if this 3 year contract is a little out of left field for a guy like Rowney, it shouldn't hurt the Ducks much.

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Aug 4, 2003
This space.
So I'm assuming there were teams offering him 2 years? Even that seems crazy especially when Kuhnhackl got 1 year at league minimum.
Yeah, I would have figured Kuhn would have got more money/longer contract than Rowney considering age, the fact Kuhn has played twice as many games already (both in the regular season and the playoffs, also won two cups) and has better production.

I'm happy for Rowney from a personal standpoint, it's nice to see hard working people succeed and he seems like a good guy. I still maintain he's not an NHL regular, I've been saying that all along even during the playoffs two years ago. We've seen it countless times, an AHLer comes up for a cup of coffee, plays over his head due to desperation/adrenaline then falls back to Earth. Even when Rowney was playing "over his head" he still wasn't that good.

As I said before, if he's playing with better players and he's a 3rd wheel, you'll be fine, he won't hurt your team by doing anything dumb or taking lots of penalties. Same with Kuhn or Reaves (well, Reaves takes dumb penalties). Unfortunately for the Pens, they often had two or three of those guys playing together most of the year which rendered their 4th line basically useless.

Reactions: wej20

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
Lol so I'm in a penguins group on Facebook and someone mentioned Rowney leaving and I commented "good riddance" not even realizing the person who commented above me was CARTER ROWNEY'S GRANDMOTHER, LITERALLY .

I made a comment on TSN or something like that about Dereyk Engelland a few years back when he signed an enormous contract with Calgary.

Dereyk's grandma or something got in there and was berating me about "only so many players even make it to the NHL". And I was like yea, he's a tremendous hockey player but a bad NHL one.

Didn't go over well :laugh:

Son Goku

henlo u stinky egg
Mar 8, 2014
The World Of Void
I made a comment on TSN or something like that about Dereyk Engelland a few years back when he signed an enormous contract with Calgary.

Dereyk's grandma or something got in there and was berating me about "only so many players even make it to the NHL". And I was like yea, he's a tremendous hockey player but a bad NHL one.

Didn't go over well :laugh:
That's basically what I said :laugh:

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Rowney must have a killer agent. or Maybe he has incriminating evidence on Bob Murray.

I'm happy for Rowney, but yikes.

Reactions: BHD

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Makes me wonder what Kuhnhackl, who is a better hockey player, is going to get.

Oops, guess he already went to Long Island.

Bnat66

May 10, 2017
New Jersey
Lol so I'm in a penguins group on Facebook and someone mentioned Rowney leaving and I commented "good riddance" not even realizing the person who commented above me was CARTER ROWNEY'S GRANDMOTHER, LITERALLY .
Way to go Tommy

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
Kuhnhackl should've signed with Rowney's agent immediately. Would probably ended up with a 4 year, $3m per year deal in Vancouver. Right now he's probably wondering how the f*** Rowney got signed for what he did per year and at 3 years. If Kuhnhackl only potted that goal against Washington instead of hitting the post...

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I wonder if Kuhn is thinking "If only I'd signed that 2 year deal with the Pens?"

(Probably not actually)

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
I really can't believe he got 3 years. I hadn't even bothered looking at the term and money until I accidentally stumbled across it today. I just assumed he got around the minimum for one year. Unbelievable.

Good for Rowney getting this deal but it's obviously easy to see him getting buried in the minors well before this deal expires.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Why didn’t Kuhn get a similar deal? Clearly the superior player.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
So Rowney is making 1.1m and some change a year.

Lmao.

That's half of what Sheahan makes and Rowney isn't even 1/5th as good.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I wonder if Kuhn is thinking "If only I'd signed that 2 year deal with the Pens?"

(Probably not actually)

He probably was guaranteed a bigger role in New York than he was here. Chances are he'll be a regular in their lineup, while JR all but said he's revamping the bottom six, particularly the 4th line, which means Kuhnhackl probably was going to be an extra most of the time.

Reactions: Peat

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad