Carter Rowney

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
If he’s good at anything it’s cycling out of the corners. But he’s mostly just a 4th liner, and a bland one at that.
Yep. Decent at protecting the puck with his body while cycling, but that's about it. He's not even average defensively.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
Lol so I'm in a penguins group on Facebook and someone mentioned Rowney leaving and I commented "good riddance" not even realizing the person who commented above me was CARTER ROWNEY'S GRANDMOTHER, LITERALLY .
:laugh:

That's almost as funny as Hainsey's brother-in-law getting mad at us for complaining about his inability to clear the puck.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
good for him, at the end one cannot but admire the perseverance of a person with zero talent to make $3M in 3 years. I am just glad its not as a penguin

Michael Farkas

Grace Personified
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.HockeyProspect.com
I didn't read the thread, as I can kind of assume how it went haha

I will say that Rowney is a fringe guy, but he's a RHS that can play center and wing. He's a defensive forward for sure, he could play the game with a hoe...(that's gonna proofread weird...) one thing I'll say about Rowney - and this is why he got another NHL contract (I don't know about this three-year stuff, I don't like multi-year deals for lower-end players like this...but who am I?), one thing I'll say is that he has a unique trait in his defensive style that he can actually mirror offensive players movements surprisingly well for a player of his caliber. Some defensive guys are just diving all over with their mouth open blocking shots and whatever and that gets way more praise than it deserves (Ryan Callahan), some guys are tactical, finesse defenders (Riley Nash is a good example of this), some guys are physical style guys that just try to kill you out there, there's a million examples, I'm sure the Ducks have most of them, in fact, they're a bunch of mean mother.........but some players have this mirroring ability that originated, to the best of my knowledge, back in 50's and 60's as a new generation of hockey players grew up with fully liberalized forwards passing and coverages/assignments changed. Rowney is just oddly good at matching movement for some reason, thus, he gets more sticks on pucks than you'd expect and has better closing speed on plays than you'd expect ("closing speed" is a defensive term that I keep separate from skating prowess, it's almost worth noting - some might suggest I'm missing an "h" in that last word).

Wish him the best. I'm a nut for handedness, so I sometimes would stamp my feet a little if Rowney wasn't in the lineup because I want my RHS centers taking right DZ draws...we had nothing but LHS centers last year.........and, I suppose, again this year...

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011

A 3 year deal for Rowney.

What in the world is going on with these GM.

O0Ppxh6.gif

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012

A 3 year deal for Rowney.

What in the world is going on with these GM.

Rodney, street, and Gibbons? Why not Caputi, CPZ, and Agostino?

Rowney brings a little value, and he survived this past season because he was good in the 2017 playoffs, but why would they sign him for three years?

Reactions: Pens x

The GM

Jun 7, 2012
Instead of crapping on Rowney..I'm gonna be happy for him. Went from a regular job to the ECHL..to a Cup winner and now is going to be stable financially. Really an amazing cool story.
I just hope his financial planner is being proactive and making his plan based on the buyout value of the contract after this season vs the full contract value

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
The Ducks signed Carter Rowney. What should Ducks fans expect?

Appreciate your input.

Good luck. Him being a regular on our 4th line last year was a contributing reason why we couldn’t roll 4 lines and wear teams down like we used to. You will be in your own end every time he’s on the ice. He might be Craig Adams under a different identity.

You will wonder why the f*** you signed this guy for 3 years and why he’s taking a roster spot away from someone younger who could do no worse than him.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
I can't believe he got 1.13M per. I made a post in the trade forum saying it wasn't a big deal, but 3 years is weird. I thought it was 3 years at league minimum. :laugh:

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Instead of crapping on Rowney..I'm gonna be happy for him. Went from a regular job to the ECHL..to a Cup winner and now is going to be stable financially. Really an amazing cool story.

I mean, it was a thread started by a Ducks fan who wanted to know what the Ducks were getting in Rowney. Kind of hard not to "crap on him" when giving an honest opinion to that Ducks fan about what Rowney is.

It's nice you wanted to take the moral high road, but the thread OP kind of wanted an accurate description of him. He didn't ask how awesome Rowney's journey from the ECHL to the NHL was.

Reactions: EightyOne

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
So I'm assuming there were teams offering him 2 years? Even that seems crazy especially when Kuhnhackl got 1 year at league minimum.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->