Confirmed with Link: Carp Retires

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
If that's the point, then I agree.

The coaches aren't idiots, by and large. There is a reason they are getting paid what they are. I wouldn't expect them to divulge the full extent of their justifications for decisions, and whether said decisions happen individually or by coaching committee.

But the insinuation that they don't know how to answer criticisms based on analytics I think is incorrect. There is a mix of holistic and statistical decisions in every coaching staff.

Frankly, we get more insight from interviews with Ryan Strome than we ever should from a coach.
No, it's not that they don't know how (well, AV...don't get me started) it's just that for better or worse, they won't, and they don't have to.

You'll see people going off in the PGT about "why doesn't one these f***ing reporters ask the coach why he personally ruined my day??!!!" and like, he ruined my day too but he's not gonna explain it. It's not his fault or the reporter's fault, it just is.

It's fruitless, anyhow. Most likely, he just thinks the player he's using is better than the player you want him to use. Will it make you feel better to hear that? AV actually said that once and it made us all angrier.

Reactions: Raspewtin

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I think there are decisions we can disagree with and then decisions so bad that they are almost unjustifiable.

AV had a ton in column a, Quinn had far more in column b

JCProdigy

Apr 4, 2002
I want what I want
It's fruitless, anyhow. Most likely, he just thinks the player he's using is better than the player you want him to use. Will it make you feel better to hear that? AV actually said that once and it made us all angrier.

That's the point though. They don't want the coach to adequately explain themselves with an answer that makes them go "You got a point there". Many people want to feel that anger/outrage. It's addicting.

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
Also, I'll say this: there's always room for improvement but if you're expecting "real insight" or somebody to ask "tough questions," it's just not gonna happen.

Tough questions aren't asked because they're not going to be answered. The beat is to get your daily logistics and a little bit of what the team is thinking based on what they're willing to let drop off the table.

Scathing critiques and hard questions are left to speculation by design.

We don't need a sassy millennial into analytics (me!) to ask them "why didn't you use Kakko more here?" when we know the answer is going to be "ah gee willikers, we just lost him and we know what our guys bringtm."
If you start being known as the guy who "asks tough questions" then you quickly become the guy who isn't allowed to ask questions anymore

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
I'm surprised that so many people have such strong opinions on these writers. I simply read the articles. Don't really try to psycho analyze what they are writing, but to each their own I guess.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I think there are decisions we can disagree with and then decisions so bad that they are almost unjustifiable.

AV had a ton in column a, Quinn had far more in column b
The opposite for me, but we can agree to disagree on that.

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
Just out of curiosity, as I don't really follow other individual teams closely...

Where does Vince rank among beat writers in the NHL? He has to be up there, no?

Unusual Suspect

Aug 22, 2005
Warren County, NJ
He is fine and some better than that… but this is maybe the top media market in the world, and even well inside top ten for hockey. We deserve a Duhatschek level beat guy. I just pulled one top level name there but really, we need someone thoroughly knowledgeable, motivated, and not satisfied with low hanging fruit. A true REPORTER. Vince is best of the gang that mostly mails in expected info… but I give him props for going where he needs to and trying a bit harder than the others. Brooks for all his pros and cons is HHOF for a reason and we are gonna miss the hell out of him when he retires.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I'd like someone who is as energetic and approachable as Vince who also really drives into some of the analytics themselves in their regular column. Vince dabbles a bit but it'd be nice to have a kind of "story" breakdown of the game and then a section that grades out the team in terms of how the game went analytically, etc, and have it be done in a way that is understandable and approachable

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Shayna is a massive prick, as are her Blueshirt Bozo friends. If people think Carp was an ahole to fans people should look at stuff she says to fans on social media.

Carp was the nicest guy when me Inferno & Kreidermsn met him at the draft. He stopped and talked to us for like 20+ min
Just stopped to say this.

Carp is a super super nice guy. With that said his work went way downhill of late.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
Something in the Carp article made me very sad. He mentioned a few years ago he was delivering mail after he was whacked by the Journal News.

It hit close to home for me. One of the Directors who worked for me at DQ now delivers mail. Great guy. Director level executive. Delivering mail is the only job he could find.

I’m glad Carp is leaving on his own terms (assuming that he is) I was never a fan and I thought his work really fell off in the last year but I don’t want to see any professional have to take four steps down to keep food on his table.

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
Something in the Carp article made me very sad. He mentioned a few years ago he was delivering mail after he was whacked by the Journal News.

It hit close to home for me. One of the Directors who worked for me at DQ now delivers mail. Great guy. Director level executive. Delivering mail is the only job he could find.

I’m glad Carp is leaving on his own terms (assuming that he is) I was never a fan and I thought his work really fell off in the last year but I don’t want to see any professional have to take four steps down to keep food on his table.

Strange times we're living in. Half the country can't find decent work, while the other half has no interest in working.

Blueblood9

Dec 11, 2011
Nashville, TN
Strange times we're living in. Half the country can't find decent work, while the other half has no interest in working.

furloghed going on 6 months and im chomping at the bit to get to work. i have 6 companies willing to hire me but i have to wait until the construction projects start and they keep getting delayed.

Back on topic. Seemed like carp was tired and over the work and it showed. Put in a young gun like Vince. Hes what in his 3rd or 4th year? He should start to develop more sources now that hes been around a few yrs and is known

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com

Is The Athletic eliminating team beat writers? Arthur Staple is now a hockey columnist for the New York teams. He is an excellent reporter. Arthur said they will be hiring another NY Hockey writer soon. That person will cover the Rangers and Islanders with Arthur.

Even Torts had respect for Arthur. He always called him by his first name. No stupid nicknames like Zip and Brooksie.

TUQ

Mar 24, 2004

Is The Athletic eliminating team beat writers? Arthur Staple is now a hockey columnist for the New York teams. He is an excellent reporter. Arthur said they will be hiring another NY Hockey writer soon. That person will cover the Rangers and Islanders with Arthur.

Even Torts had respect for Arthur. He always called him by his first name. No stupid nicknames like Zip and Brooksie.

This is great news. I have always liked the way Staple writes and reports.

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
I think this is mostly a panic move to keep Rangers subscribers intact. Carp retiring a week into the season seems abrupt. The Athletic would have replaced him prior to the start of the season. This was definitely a scramble for the Athletic. Until they lineup a full time replacement to cover the Rangers, they will just lean on Staple who knows the Rangers well and have access. As for the title of NY hockey writer, I think that too is mostly a clever title instead of saying Staple, the NYI writer will be the substitute teacher until we find somebody. I'm thinking it might be Molly. She covers both teams well.

Reactions: Big Chunky Bubbles

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Its pretty f***ing sad that the Athletic has to scramble around and piece together a tandem crew to beat report for an original six major sport franchise that is the most valuable team in the entire NHL ($1.65 Billion, Forbes) with a 95 year history.

Reactions: Unusual Suspect

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Vince is fine, he works hard, but he's just another guy
he tweets "i spoke with" player x, and the quote is directly from the media briefing

the Vince love here seems very much built upon recency bias, and the disdain for folks who've been here longer - just like with the prospects!

but that's me -
i think the stone-throwing at the beat writers is just self-important - you don't like it, just don't read it -
the hundreds of posts, over the years, blathering about how someone else ought to do their full-time job, is just noise from the cheap seats

Carp gave 40+ years to supporting the whole cohort of NYR fans, and I'm glad for what he gave to our 'community'
it was way more than most of us

Its more that he quickly and accurately posts the information he has while not insulting the fanbase.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
I saw this tweet yesterday.

The Post hired an Islanders beat writer. The timing is curious. Mollie Walker has spent most of her time this season(camp & first week of the season)with the Rangers. She hosts the Rangers NY Post podcast. Will she be assigned exclusively to the Rangers? Is she going to The Athletic? Brooks is still around to cover the Rangers. Mollie has covered both NY hockey teams at the Post.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad