Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
upload_2021-10-18_6-38-29.jpeg

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Hopefully we can get a beat reporter who doesn't despise the fans and seems to actually care about the work.
I'd hope Vince gets considered but then all the info will be paywalled

Vince is by far the best day to day information guy. Brooksie is still the major nugget and controversial article king.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Mentioned in the other thread but yeah it was time

I did laugh a bit that he was complaining about how the process of covering the team has changed and how much he hated it.

I wonder who they’ll bring in, I’d be very surprised if it’s Shayna

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Good period?

Vince would be good but it feels like he's probably destined for more than just the Rangers beat.

Shayna is a great person and a great writer but I'm not sure if the beat would be her thing. Most of what I've seen from her has been analytics-heavy analysis of things (which is fine but not a replacement for what Carp did). If she can do the day-to-day reporting and cultivate sources, I guess she's be a decent choice.

Reactions: TheBPA

bbny

Unregistered User
Apr 12, 2019
I seem to be in a minority, but I enjoyed Carp's contributions for the most part. I had the Athletic for quite some time, mostly just for the Rangers coverage. There was a bit of a drop off in writing after Gorton/JD were fired though. His disdain for the move seeemed to seep into every article afterwards. I also think he lost whatever insider connections he had within in the org after the shake up. Vince seems to have traction there now. It's a passing of the baton.

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
His heart was not in it. It showed in his output. Not defending low-quality work, but 43 years doing a job is a long, long time and I imagine it was permanent burnout. Add in some professional rivalry or jealousy perhaps and industry changes, and nowhere else to go professionally.

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
Hate to take cheap shots on the guy, but his best work was clearly behind him. Whether his heart wasn't into his work anymore or someone forced him out, either way, it was time to go.

Back before the web, it was tough to read his stuff with any regularity when newspapers were so regional, but he was always a good listen when he would do some guest spots on the FAN. Now he just seems bitter & jaded, with the front office purge clearly pushing him to the edge.

Reactions: Daves a mess

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Good riddance. He was awful. Maybe years ago he was tolerable, but in the past couple years he was really just an lazy “journalist” tweeting out “Good Period?” every flipping game. 3 games into the season he retires? Sounds like he was forced out because of his hack work.

Reactions: TheBloodyNine

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
I had my criticisms of Carp, especially after the Wilson incident and the firings after, because he had clearly lost his objectivity but I never missed on of his game reviews. Love him or hate him, he always had a unique perspective on things.

The Athletic would be making a big mistake if they didnt hire Vince to replace him.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
The Athletic should hire Vince or promote Shayna.
Shayna is a massive prick, as are her Blueshirt Bozo friends. If people think Carp was an ahole to fans people should look at stuff she says to fans on social media.

Carp was the nicest guy when me Inferno & Kreidermsn met him at the draft. He stopped and talked to us for like 20+ min

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad