Confirmed with Link: Carp Retires

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
I thought Zipay had some personality and pretty good insight on the team. I could live with him. Cyrgalis would be fine. I though Pat Leonard was full of himself so that’s a pass for me. There are a couple of others (e.g. the guy that followed Pat at the Daily News and Jeff from the New York Times) who could bubble up. This is a plum job. There will be a line and I wouldn’t be surprised if Vince is on that line too.

nsvoyageurs

Jun 5, 2012
NS Canada
I haven't minded Carp as much as some here have. Was he perfect, no, but he usually wrote good game recaps; he could be a little snippy on Twitter, tho with some of the people he likely encountered, it's no wonder.

Shayna, I doubt would be interested in a beat (tho I could be wrong). She does a good job with the analytics, most of it is over my head but the beat is a different animal. Mollie would be great replacement for Carp, if the Athletic could lure her away from the Post.

Vince has established himself as the go-to beat writer for the Rangers, with Mollie moving up the depth chart quickly (she also covers the Islanders too).

I don't know if they would hire someone from one the blog sites, i.e. The Hockey Writers, etc. They would likely want someone who has connections in the organization.

a tribe cq

That’s just like…your opinion man.
Jan 15, 2013
Vince has been the best for a minute and that’s not saying much.

We need someone fully dedicated to the team in some capacity, it showed glaringly during the pre-season camp, how awful the coverage is/was.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Vince has been the best for a minute and that’s not saying much.

We need someone fully dedicated to the team in some capacity, it showed glaringly during the pre-season camp, how awful the coverage is/was.

what do people have against vince or want him to do differently?

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
what do people have against vince or want him to do differently?
Yeah Vince has been about as on the ball as any beat reporter we've had. I don't think he ever really fully cultivated inside sources to break info, but he reports everything that's otherwise newsworthy basically as soon as it happens, is always there for camp, generally has an article up there each evening or the following morning, etc.

I know some wish we had someone to ask the "tough questions" to the coach, but I don't think that happens much anymore. And Brooks used to do it, and half of this place called him a douchebag for doing it.

Reactions: Unusual Suspect

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
what do people have against Vince or want him to do differently?

Vince is fine, he works hard, but he's just another guy
he tweets "i spoke with" player x, and the quote is directly from the media briefing

the Vince love here seems very much built upon recency bias, and the disdain for folks who've been here longer - just like with the prospects!

but that's me -
i think the stone-throwing at the beat writers is just self-important - you don't like it, just don't read it -
the hundreds of posts, over the years, blathering about how someone else ought to do their full-time job, is just noise from the cheap seats

Carp gave 40+ years to supporting the whole cohort of NYR fans, and I'm glad for what he gave to our 'community'
it was way more than most of us

Reactions: tbassler

Yuck

Sep 8, 2009
Carp wasn't so bad exactly and in a vacuum he did a solid job. What was bad is you had to pay for it and through that lens he fell very short -- Especially if you only subscribe for Ranger news, there was nothing there that couldn't be had for free elsewhere. They need some younger blood, someone who still has things to prove and will work hard digging and delivering unique content in this new world where 1) You are behind a paywall and expectations are heightened and 2) You don't have the easy access you did before the pandemic. I know its fun to crap on carp, but I think its a pretty hard gig to get right these days, especially if the organization you cover is super tight lipped.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Shayna is one my favorite people but I agree with the notion that the beat just isn't what she does.

It's like asking a boxer to do MMA, or vice versa. Elements are there but it's not the same thing.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Yeah Vince has been about as on the ball as any beat reporter we've had. I don't think he ever really fully cultivated inside sources to break info, but he reports everything that's otherwise newsworthy basically as soon as it happens, is always there for camp, generally has an article up there each evening or the following morning, etc.

I know some wish we had someone to ask the "tough questions" to the coach, but I don't think that happens much anymore. And Brooks used to do it, and half of this place called him a douchebag for doing it.

He hasn't been around long enough to really have the kind of real leaked trade rumors stuff but I think he does talk to plenty of people. The only Rangers reporter to have any kind of inside edge has been Brooks and we all speculate he's really just a media mouthpiece for when the Rangers want to leak something.

I think asking "tough questions" gets you kinda black listed these days and coaches aren't going to actually answer those questions, they'll just dodge and move on. It's kinda pointless. I think it's really part of the dance is to find questions you can get them to answer and maybe let something slip.

Vince is fine, he works hard, but he's just another guy
he tweets "i spoke with" player x, and the quote is directly from the media briefing

the Vince love here seems very much built upon recency bias, and the disdain for folks who've been here longer - just like with the prospects!

but that's me -
i think the stone-throwing at the beat writers is just self-important - you don't like it, just don't read it -
the hundreds of posts, over the years, blathering about how someone else ought to do their full-time job, is just noise from the cheap seats

Carp gave 40+ years to supporting the whole cohort of NYR fans, and I'm glad for what he gave to our 'community'
it was way more than most of us

eh I read enough Vinve stuff to think that he does talk to people in the organization and not just go off press releases, but he's not getting anything broken early so by the time he says it, it's out there officially too.

Main problem I had with Carp is he just seemed to give up. Even lastyear he was alright, but I guess we see now he was on his way to retirement. The issue was that he was the only Rangers reported for the Athletic and as he started phoning it in, the coverage just went to bad.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Also, I'll say this: there's always room for improvement but if you're expecting "real insight" or somebody to ask "tough questions," it's just not gonna happen.

Tough questions aren't asked because they're not going to be answered. The beat is to get your daily logistics and a little bit of what the team is thinking based on what they're willing to let drop off the table.

Scathing critiques and hard questions are left to speculation by design.

We don't need a sassy millennial into analytics (me!) to ask them "why didn't you use Kakko more here?" when we know the answer is going to be "ah gee willikers, we just lost him and we know what our guys bringtm."

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
We don't need a sassy millennial into analytics (me!) to ask them "why didn't you use Kakko more here?" when we know the answer is going to be "ah gee willikers, we just lost him and we know what our guys bringtm."

Completely fair and impartial example as always

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Completely fair and impartial example as always
Am I wrong?

"Stop coaching Pat"

"We just lost him on the bench"

"We know what he brings"

"He had the right intentions"

Anything not in the script gets a non-answer. And I get it. If I were a coach, the media doesn't always need to know everything I'm thinking.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Am I wrong?

"Stop coaching Pat"

"We just lost him on the bench"

"We know what he brings"

"He had the right intentions"

Anything not in the script gets a non-answer. And I get it. If I were a coach, the media doesn't always need to know everything I'm thinking.

If that's the point, then I agree.

The coaches aren't idiots, by and large. There is a reason they are getting paid what they are. I wouldn't expect them to divulge the full extent of their justifications for decisions, and whether said decisions happen individually or by coaching committee.

But the insinuation that they don't know how to answer criticisms based on analytics I think is incorrect. There is a mix of holistic and statistical decisions in every coaching staff.

Frankly, we get more insight from interviews with Ryan Strome than we ever should from a coach.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad