Speculation: Carolina summer shakeup?

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
I know it'll never happen but man would Hanifin look good on our left side. We have absolutely no one on our left side outside of Will Butcher while our right side is pretty stacked with Vatanen, Severson and Santini (Lovejoy).

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
Zacha available?

For Hanifin, absolutely.

He's had a rough start to start to his NHL career but he's turned it around pretty nicely this year. He's playing with more confidence and let's not forget he's only 20 years of age and made the jump directly from the CHL to the NHL without playing in the AHL.

I think he'll turn out to be a good 2nd line center with a real nice 2 way game. He's been shooting way more then in the past, mostly because I think he had the rookie jitters and was looking to feed his veteran linemates instead of taking shots in prime scoring areas.

I know it's a bit early to say this but I can see alot of Couturier in Zacha's game. Will he turn out to be like Couturier, I can't garantee that but I can see the comparisions.

Last edited:

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Or just bury Darling in the AHL (yes, I know we'd still be on the hook to the cap hit - 1 million and the full salary), and go with Ward and whoever the best UFA goalie we can get is without having to give an insane contract to them. Crazy to think that as "meh" as Ward's been over the past few years, the one constant is that shy of being hurt he's a hell of a lot better then whoever we bring in to back him up or possibly replace him.

If the plan is to bury Darling then you might as well just buy him out. Otherwise, you keep him as a backup and hope he returns to a form that can either help your team as a backup or be just good enough to trade somewhere with some retention. I don't think he's tradeable this off-season and it may be too much to buy him out now so one more opportunity to at least prove serviceable in some capacity is probably what will happen.

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
No. That's a lot of futures for a 30-year-old low-end 1-ish C and a good goalie.

Goalies aren't worth that kind of value and I'm not giving up that kind of futures value for Backstrom.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
No. That's a lot of futures for a 30-year-old low-end 1-ish C and a good goalie.

Goalies aren't worth that kind of value and I'm not giving up that kind of futures value for Backstrom.

Backstrom is not a low end forward and the player the Canes really need. Holtby is a very good goalie as well.

I think the value is fair. Unfortunately, they both have 2 years remaining on their deals. It’ll depend if the Canes have issues on extensions and hey would be a risk.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
If the plan is to bury Darling then you might as well just buy him out. Otherwise, you keep him as a backup and hope he returns to a form that can either help your team as a backup or be just good enough to trade somewhere with some retention. I don't think he's tradeable this off-season and it may be too much to buy him out now so one more opportunity to at least prove serviceable in some capacity is probably what will happen.
Pay him for three more years or how many more in a buyout?

I would choose the three, especially as we haven’t raised the budget too far yet. We don’t know how close to the cap TD would go.

Not a fan of the buyout with anything more than a year or two left on the deal. It’s not like Darling has been disruptive, he seems like a well liked guy in the room and 4 million shouldn’t be breaking the back of the team.

Reactions: MinJaBen

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Pay him for three more years or how many more in a buyout?

I would choose the three, especially as we haven’t raised the budget too far yet. We don’t know how close to the cap TD would go.

Not a fan of the buyout with anything more than a year or two left on the deal. It’s not like Darling has been disruptive, he seems like a well liked guy in the room and 4 million shouldn’t be breaking the back of the team.

Depends on what the team's priorities are. Pay him three more years at 11.85 mil total and a cap hit of 4.15 million or buy him out where you pay out two-thirds of his salary at 7.9 million, have a cap hit next year of 717k, 1.37 mil the year after, 2.47 mil the year after, and 1.32 mil the next three years after that. If the idea is to save actual dollars or to utilize the cap then the buyout is the better option. If not then yeah you can just hold on to him but I don't think burying him is then a legitimate option either. One should want to at least see if he can return to being a good backup and be tradeable at some point.

Reactions: Big Daddy Cane

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Carolina needs goals. They are ranked 27th this year in that department. There's only one pure goal scorer available on the market and he's at a discount rate with Mtl's management being dumb. The Canes are supposed to be competing with their core's age group but they aren't.

Their top assets going into this draft will be their #1 pick and J.Bean (which they don't really need due to their young D being stacked.) Personally, I believe they shouldn't move any of their established back-end guys nor any of their top prospects offensively as they sorely need support up front and in net.

CAR:
LW Pacioretty (To provide the goals)
C/RW Andrew Shaw (To spark up that lineup and also, his 35-40pts/season average would put him in their top 10 overall pts producer)
G. Charlie Lindgren (To help strengthen their G position, he's not starter ready, but could be molded into the role over the next couple of seasons)

MTL:
J. Bean
2018 1st rd pick
2018 2nd rd pick
2020 2nd rd pick
Marcus Kruger (Cap dump)

Montreal doesn't get the roster player they want and surrender 3 established players, but they get some solid prospects in return to help the rebuilt at positions of need (LD with Bean, a C with the 9-13th overall pick).

Cap space wise, they would still have more than enough money to sign Tavares in the offseason as well.
This is bad for Carolina.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Just the top defenseman in the OHL this season

So then, about as good as Noah Carroll, right?

Seriously, I love all of these proposals....Carolina isn't desperate and, this summer, their biggest lever to push will be in free agency. Now players might now want to come here for whatever reason, but the young core of this team is solid with a solid pipeline that includes the leading goal scorer in the AHL.

I do anticipate a trade for another goal scorer, but suspect that there will be a nice UFA addition.

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
There is (and will be this offseason) much focus on a top-line center and/or forward scoring. However, I was listening to NHL radio yesterday and the St. Louis game was on. There was some discussion of scoring by D-men. I can't find team-by-team stats, but it appears that Carolina is in the bottom third of the league. From this standpoint, the key to the Hurricanes taking the next step is getting more goals/points out of the blueline. I know most folks want the Canes to sign Tavares. But the Isles are behind the Canes in the standings and about where they are in terms of D scoring. As Father Guido Sarducci would ask: "Coincidenza?"

Tryamw

Loyal Fan of Jerks
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2016
Durham
The answer is More SCORING (Period) By boat coat or goat it doesn't matter. By a D or with Glee. The D will get more points when they get more goals. Admittedly this year No Carolina D can seem to get the shot by the guy 1 foot in front of him to save his or her life. Unless it goes 15 feet wide of the goal. (Looking for a Tip! HAHAHA)

gorangers0525

Dec 15, 2014
Carolina with average-good goaltending would be a great team. They don’t need to give up crazy assets to get a good goalie.

xNogaitx

Akuna Matata.
Sep 9, 2017
Edmonton
This is bad for Carolina.

The way I saw that trade:

A. Shaw was traded for 2 2nd rd picks 2 years ago. Now is value is less due to his contract, aka, to get that kind of return again, you'd have to take a Cap dump in return.

CAR:
A. Shaw
Lindgren

MTL:
2018 2nd rd pick
2019 2nd rd pick
Marcus Kruger

Technically there the win is on Carolina, with MTL having no guarantee that any of those 2 picks will turn into anything down the road.

Then, with Pacioretty's value falling, he won't get a 1st, a top C prospect, and a roster player; but he may very well garner a great prospect with a 1st.

CAR:
Pacioretty

MTL:
J. Bean
2018 1st rd pick

For a team that is ranked 27th in scoring, getting a top scorer will be worth the trade.

And please, people, stop saying it's for "1 year of Patches", we all know at this point that a team acquiring him at the draft would do so with an extended deal in place.

That deal pretty much helps both team's needs without any of the two team having to part away with essential pieces going forward.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
Make a run at JvR in free agency?
Get a solid 30 goal winger for about 6 Mil Long term. His playstyle will keep him healthy and he doesn't have any pressure on him. He can help your pp as well.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
The way I saw that trade:

A. Shaw was traded for 2 2nd rd picks 2 years ago. Now is value is less due to his contract, aka, to get that kind of return again, you'd have to take a Cap dump in return.

CAR:
A. Shaw
Lindgren

MTL:
2018 2nd rd pick
2019 2nd rd pick
Marcus Kruger

Technically there the win is on Carolina, with MTL having no guarantee that any of those 2 picks will turn into anything down the road.

Then, with Pacioretty's value falling, he won't get a 1st, a top C prospect, and a roster player; but he may very well garner a great prospect with a 1st.

CAR:
Pacioretty

MTL:
J. Bean
2018 1st rd pick

For a team that is ranked 27th in scoring, getting a top scorer will be worth the trade.

And please, people, stop saying it's for "1 year of Patches", we all know at this point that a team acquiring him at the draft would do so with an extended deal in place.

That deal pretty much helps both team's needs without any of the two team having to part away with essential pieces going forward.

Carolina would have little interest in Shaw outside of a contract swap for Rask. McGinn has offered similar utility and EV production at < 25% of the price.

As far as Pacioretty goes, why pay a high asset cost for a non-elite, 30+ wing who is up for a decent raise on a mid to long-term extension that will start the season after next (if he re-signs, of course), when there are (1) centers potentially to be had for Carolina's assets and/or budget space (Tavares, T. Johnson, Nugent-Hopkins) or (2) wingers that require a similar mid to long-term commitment, but come at zero asset cost (Kane, Neal, JvR)?

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Carolina with average-good goaltending would be a great team. They don’t need to give up crazy assets to get a good goalie.

Yet they've been trading for goalies for how long? Maybe part of it is bad scouting on their part, maybe poor seasons from the goaltenders. Either way, it's not as simple as you make it sound.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
Until a month ago the majority of Sabres fans would have jumped at a chance to trade Sam Reinhart for Hanifin, it's been talked about for a long time. But Reinhart has turned a corner it looks like, over the past 2 months he's been a PPG and the Sabres top point getter. I'd probably trade ROR now before Reinhart. Botterill may feel different.

varano

Jun 27, 2013
I try not to do these, but hey...

Backstrom
Holtby

For

Hanifin
Rask
2018 1st
Mattheos
The caps trade one of the best goalies in the league who's on a slump and one of the best centers in the league for a good defencemen, a 2/3 C, a first, and medium prospect???

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad