Speculation: Carolina summer shakeup?

jeromeo87

Jul 23, 2010
Nothing terribly wrong here. I, like @DaveG, don't think a RNH for Faulk needs the picks. I think you are overpaying both TVR and Hanifin while I think JVR gets more than you are paying if he were to come here. The most problematic issue is that I think Raanta won't make it to UFA. His agent and the Yotes both are making positive statements about getting a deal done before July 1st. If we want him, I'd think we need to go all in and give Arizona a trade that they wouldn't refuse. Not sure what that would be, but unless we act now to do so, my guess is he is signed before the draft lottery.

Would Rask for Raanta work? If not, who's available other than Raanta, via free agency?

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Would Rask for Raanta work? If not, who's available other than Raanta, via free agency?
Given Arizona's money ball culture and the fact that I think they are probably far enough away that they will take a less than appealing asset for a good pick, I was thinking that Darling (50% retained) plus 2018 1st (top 3 protected, falls to 2019 otherwise) for Raanta might interest them. I doubt the Canes would do that, though.

jeromeo87

Jul 23, 2010
Given Arizona's money ball culture and the fact that I think they are probably far enough away that they will take a less than appealing asset for a good pick, I was thinking that Darling (50% retained) plus 2018 1st (top 3 protected, falls to 2019 otherwise) for Raanta might interest them. I doubt the Canes would do that, though.

I mean, maybe I'm way off, but I think if the Canes are giving up their 1st, they shouldn't have to retain..no matter how bad Darling's been. But I could be wrong.

Bean+Darling (25% retained)+Rask for Raanta+3rd?

varano

Jun 27, 2013
Listen to your scouts and draft well, it's that easy but GM and fanbases try to play God with the process and destroy their teams. Hiring and listening to good scouts = great GM.

Is Necas a defenseman? Is Aho?

He has a bunch of young defensemen prospects worth their weight in gold on the trade market, who should he target? There isn't a good C to be had for the chips he has to play. And the longer they develop the better their worth.

Is Hextall dumb too for hording young blueliners? Is Murray?

Shallow hot take, Canes are one or two pieces away from building something special but blow it up to get Paul Statsny and Raanta.
Why blow it up? Do SOMETHING.

Or, do nothing and continue to not make the playoffs.

You're aware that at this point, he's not even necessary? Just let the scouts run the team. That's what they've been doing up until now .

Not only that,they've whiffed several times during the draft and could have gotten significantly better players .

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Ron Francis... promo-fired? Fire-moted?

Anyway Francis is out as Hurricanes GM, bumped to President of Hockey Ops role. Proud record of 0 player for player trades in four years, and Carolina hasn’t seen much on-ice success either.

Is this the offseason that Carolina shakes things up?

IMO, Carolina is one of those teams that have a bunch of B+ and B assets to move (outside of Slavin and Aho, who IMO shouldn’t go anywhere).

I think a few GMS are licking their lips and thinking the canes will trade some of their good prospects to win now

Reactions: BHD

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
I think a few GMS are licking their lips and thinking the canes will trade some of their good prospects to win now

You'd like to think that Dundon isn't a person who can be duped by a good car salesman. I guess it depends on how much say the (supposed) GM will have.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
I think there's a lot of misinterpretation about where the Canes are and what they are likely to do. This isn't a team that needs to or will blow it up; the team needs a goalie....an adequate, even average goalie. The Hurricanes could also use another serious scoring threat, preferably a #1C, but that's not a requirement.

So the narrative about GMs licking their lips is somewhat laughable to those of us who are long-term Canes fans. Look for the team to sign a significant UFA and/or maybe make a trade for that scoring threat. Frankly, who knows how they will address the goaltender issue.

Reactions: Unsustainable

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006

You'd like to think that Dundon isn't a person who can be duped by a good car salesman. I guess it depends on how much say the (supposed) GM will have.

I don't know. Here's what Friedman said. Makes be believe he won't be just making rash decisions to be rash.

One thing Dundon disagreed with is the idea that something happened at the deadline that caused the final rift. He said the team was considering adding before a home-heavy stretch in February, but it didn’t go well. Therefore both he and Francis decided it wasn’t worth what it would take to acquire more at the end. The cost, in terms of Carolina’s best young players/prospects, was too great.

In some ways, the fact the Hurricanes can’t make immediate moves is good for the franchise. Dundon’s desire to do something impactful could be exploited. Dealing with other managers is like swimming with sharks. They sense your needs and squeeze you.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
It's common knowledge that the Canes exist to make trades for the sole benefit of the other team.

These threads were bound to happen when Francis was fired.

Frankly, even if Francis had stayed, this was the year I expected them to make a bigger splash, either via trade or UFA. They are a very young team, have re-stocked the pipeline and can use some of those picks/assets to help the team, and now have an owner that can spend money in free agency.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
These threads were bound to happen when Francis was fired.

Frankly, even if Francis had stayed, this was the year I expected them to make a bigger splash, either via trade or UFA. They are a very young team, have re-stocked the pipeline and can use some of those picks/assets to help the team, and now have an owner that can spend money in free agency.
I mean... these threads existed long before Francis was hired....

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Ron Francis... promo-fired? Fire-moted?

Anyway Francis is out as Hurricanes GM, bumped to President of Hockey Ops role. Proud record of 0 player for player trades in four years, and Carolina hasn’t seen much on-ice success either.

Is this the offseason that Carolina shakes things up?

IMO, Carolina is one of those teams that have a bunch of B+ and B assets to move (outside of Slavin and Aho, who IMO shouldn’t go anywhere).

Probably not as much as people may think. There really isn't much they can do about correcting the Darling mistake. They should just let Ward go and throw whatever money they need to in order to get Hutton signed there. That's probably the best solution for them there. If they can get Tavares, by all means they should do it but beyond that there aren't huge adds to be made in the free agent market and I don't think they'd do well in a trade market right now with a new owner wanting results. If I'm Carolina, I'm probably not doing much but taking a run at Tavares and Hutton.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Probably not as much as people may think. There really isn't much they can do about correcting the Darling mistake. They should just let Ward go and throw whatever money they need to in order to get Hutton signed there. That's probably the best solution for them there. If they can get Tavares, by all means they should do it but beyond that there aren't huge adds to be made in the free agent market and I don't think they'd do well in a trade market right now with a new owner wanting results. If I'm Carolina, I'm probably not doing much but taking a run at Tavares and Hutton.

Or just bury Darling in the AHL (yes, I know we'd still be on the hook to the cap hit - 1 million and the full salary), and go with Ward and whoever the best UFA goalie we can get is without having to give an insane contract to them. Crazy to think that as "meh" as Ward's been over the past few years, the one constant is that shy of being hurt he's a hell of a lot better then whoever we bring in to back him up or possibly replace him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad