Speculation: Carolina summer shakeup?

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Ron Francis... promo-fired? Fire-moted?

Anyway Francis is out as Hurricanes GM, bumped to President of Hockey Ops role. Proud record of 0 player for player trades in four years, and Carolina hasn’t seen much on-ice success either.

Is this the offseason that Carolina shakes things up?

IMO, Carolina is one of those teams that have a bunch of B+ and B assets to move (outside of Slavin and Aho, who IMO shouldn’t go anywhere).

connormcmuffin

Feb 17, 2018
Francis has quietly been one the best GMs in the league, draft defense that take time to develop then they are in a position to draft high end forwards that develop quick. Perfect storm for a budget team no less.

In terms of breakout they are a lot likes the Jets, it should just come together organically.

Now some rich hick will ruin it, I'm happy from Leafs fan perspective. Start the firesale and RIP Canes.

Last edited:

bluedevil58

Oct 19, 2017
Francis has quietly been on the best GMs in the league, draft defense that take time to develop on they are in a position to draft high end forwards that develop quick. Perfect storm for a budget team no less.

In terms of breakout they are a lot likes the Jets, it should just come together organically.

Now some rich hick will ruin it, I'm happy from Leafs fan perspective. Start the firesale and RIP Canes.

[MOD] The team was 2 points out at the trade deadline and RF did NOTHING. The coach and fans were pleading for a trade. Kane could have been had for a 2nd and prospect and RF did NOTHING. He was a great player. But he was also a conservative GM that refused to give up assets or correct his mistakes ie Scott Darling. That's what did him in. He was just too conservative .

Last edited by a moderator:

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Ron Francis... promo-fired? Fire-moted?

Anyway Francis is out as Hurricanes GM, bumped to President of Hockey Ops role. Proud record of 0 player for player trades in four years, and Carolina hasn’t seen much on-ice success either.

Is this the offseason that Carolina shakes things up?

IMO, Carolina is one of those teams that have a bunch of B+ and B assets to move (outside of Slavin and Aho, who IMO shouldn’t go anywhere).
Faulk or Skinner may be on their way out, can't see both though.

Could EASILY see whoever's brought in doing something like 1st (assuming we don't win the lottery), Rask and maybe a Zykov level prospect for O'Reilly or something equivalent around RNH if the Oilers make him available (not sure they will).

But the biggest asset the Hurricanes have this offseason is 15.8, as in the amount of cap space the Canes currently have with only a few RFA deals to give to Lindholm, Hanifin, TVR, and to re-sign Ward. Canes have the potential to be big time players in free agency coming up here, and could make moves to really boost the roster without having to give up a single asset in the process.

connormcmuffin

Feb 17, 2018
[MOD] The team was 2 points out at the trade deadline and RF did NOTHING. The coach and fans were pleading for a trade. Kane could have been had for a 2nd and prospect and RF did NOTHING. He was a great player. But he was also a conservative GM that refused to give up assets or correct his mistakes ie Scott Darling. That's what did him in. He was just too conservative .
How I wished JFJ, Burke and Nonis would have been willing to not trade picks to attempt to squeak into a playoff spot and just draft another good asset.

Enjoy a GM trying to rush things, see how that works out.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Burdened

May 1, 2017
Francis has quietly been on the best GMs in the league, draft defense that take time to develop on they are in a position to draft high end forwards that develop quick. Perfect storm for a budget team no less.

Drafting is only one aspect of being a good GM (and even then, most GM's just listen/trust their scouts).

This was supposed to be the year Carolina took the next step, and they took a step back and are arguably in worse shape than this time last year (and it didn't help matters that the one time he made a big splash with money, it was a disaster of a contract to Scott Darling).

Francis deserved to be removed on his own merit IMO. Now, how much of a meddler the owner is remains to be seen.

bluedevil58

Oct 19, 2017
How I wished JFJ, Burke and Nonis would have been willing to not trade picks to attempt to squeak into a playoff spot and just drat another good asset.

Try having a 9 year playoff drought. No fan needs to experience that.

Shruggs Peterson

Mar 1, 2017

That is a hard statement to justify. A team that hasn't made the playoffs since 2009 and hasn't finished better than 6th in their division since Francis took over doesn't really support him being that. Drafting well is one thing, but 4 consecutive years being stuck in no man's land waiting for picks to develop is obviously not a way to keep your job.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid

Best GMs in the league? Maybe based on paper moves, but in the real world where results matter he wasn't even close to do being one of the best.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Staal could potentially come back. Unless I'm reading it wrong and Francis remains in the organization.

Francis is now POHO. It’s how hockey orgs say ‘listen we appreciate all you did for us on the ice so we don’t want to ‘fire’ you, but we want someone else in the GM role’

Reactions: DaveG

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Faulk or Skinner may be on their way out, can't see both though.

Could EASILY see whoever's brought in doing something like 1st (assuming we don't win the lottery), Rask and maybe a Zykov level prospect for O'Reilly or something equivalent around RNH if the Oilers make him available (not sure they will).

But the biggest asset the Hurricanes have this offseason is 15.8, as in the amount of cap space the Canes currently have with only a few RFA deals to give to Lindholm, Hanifin, TVR, and to re-sign Ward. Canes have the potential to be big time players in free agency coming up here, and could make moves to really boost the roster without having to give up a single asset in the process.

I’ll definitely be very curious to track where guys like Faulk/Skinner/Lindholm/Rask go. Edmonton has no winger depth, Carolina has winger depth. Carolina needs a top 6 C, Edmonton has RNH that can be had. There’s definitely a deal to be had here.

Reactions: ivanlwan

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
One of the best GMs in the league? Obviously this is the world where he's 2nd to the great GM of the Year John Chayka.

This is a team that should hire Dean Lombardi. They've got some good prospects but have yet to really take that next step to becoming a playoff team. Looking at the type of moves he made in both SJ and LA (Bringing in good veterans without entirely mortgaging the future, except for his final 2 years in LA) Lombardi is perfect for that.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
The team was 2 points out at the trade deadline and RF did NOTHING.
As frustrating as this position can be Francis did the right thing by not doing anything. At two points out you're not a seller (The old rule of thumb was that you should be about 8 points out in order to be a seller - don't know if that's still the case or not) and you're really not a buyer either because the odds are that you're not going too far into the playoffs so why waste young assets? I feel for 'canes fans but Francis did the right thing.

From what little I've heard about this developing situation it sounds like Carolina is being pushed into win-now mode by the new owner. That is not always a good thing as it can lead to some rather rash decisions about young players and draft picks.

Hopefully the new owner doesn't do too much damage to his new toy.

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis
How I wished JFJ, Burke and Nonis would have been willing to not trade picks to attempt to squeak into a playoff spot and just drat another good asset.

Rush things? IT'S BEEN 4 YEARS. The team hasn't made the playoffs in 9 years. At some point you have to make a move to take that next step. How much flak did the Oilers get for being in the lottery every year? The canes don't deserve that same treatment because they have some nice prospects on D?

Francis wasn't a disaster but I don't know how you could blame the owner for making a change

connormcmuffin

Feb 17, 2018
That is a hard statement to justify. A team that hasn't made the playoffs since 2009 and hasn't finished better than 6th in their division since Francis took over doesn't really support him being that. Drafting well is one thing, but 4 consecutive years being stuck in no man's land waiting for picks to develop is obviously not a way to keep your job.
Making the playoffs isn't a measure of success, building a core that can be consistently competitive is. Francis has built the best possession team in the league. They are another center away and a goaltender away from being an emerging force. Much like the Jets went from non playoff team to arguable the best young roster in the league.

Last edited:

connormcmuffin

Feb 17, 2018
Rush things? IT'S BEEN 4 YEARS. The team hasn't made the playoffs in 9 years. At some point you have to make a move to take that next step. How much flak did the Oilers get for being in the lottery every year? The canes don't deserve that same treatment because they have some nice prospects on D?

Francis wasn't a disaster but I don't know how you could blame the owner for making a change
The best thing that can happen to the Canes is a tank year to get that one piece they need to finish that core. The alternative is what? Making dumb trades?

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC

And look how long it took Lombardi in LA, who is frankly someone that I wouldn't mind seeing Dundon bring in to replace Francis.

Reactions: Unsustainable

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I’ll definitely be very curious to track where guys like Faulk/Skinner/Lindholm/Rask go. Edmonton has no winger depth, Carolina has winger depth. Carolina needs a top 6 C, Edmonton has RNH that can be had. There’s definitely a deal to be had here.

Not sure Edmonton would be onboard but something around either Faulk or Skinner for RNH would be good by me.

Reactions: Unsustainable

The Burdened

May 1, 2017
The best thing that can happen to the Canes is a tank year to get that one piece they need to finish that core. The alternative is what? Making dumb trades?
Dumb trades and smart trades come from the same birth. You don't know unless you trade.

A lot of great players have been dealt in the 4-years Francis has been there. Where was he?

Look at the job Rey Shero has done. He's been on the job 1-year less than Francis and he had arguably less to work with.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad