Carolina quartet or Toronto qaurtet

For the start of 2021/2022 season and onward, which quartet do you build around?

• Total voters

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Where are they now?
Are they better? Not at the moment....or you could say they're close?
Which one?

Carolina’s currently a better team and has been the two seasons prior to this one.

The Canes are playing at a 119 point pace over a full season in a tougher division compared to the Leafs who are pacing for 111 points in a weaker division.

Reactions: CatchyTune

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
You really read a lot into 4 points. An absurd amount really.

We can't take that seriously of course and your history of any desperate argument to vote against the Leafs make that point even more laughable as it ignores so many factors and has 0 context. Tell me how many man games Carolina lost in net before thinking their 4 points indicate superior management. Our starter has been out half the year....

Omg what a funny take.
It’s actually six points now and the top team in the NHL playing in the toughest division with the Leafs playing in a much weaker division. I’ll ignore the usual personal attack from you because you have no real rebuttal other than the annual ‘the Leafs had a player injured’ lame excuse. Apparently no other team loses such a ‘superstar’ as Andersen to injury.
:laugh:

Last edited:

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Carolina’s currently a better team and has been the two seasons prior to this one.

The Canes are playing at a 119 point pace over a full season in a tougher division compared to the Leafs who are pacing for 111 points in a weaker division.

What a load of garbage. "Weaker division", my arse. Carolina's been feasting on Columbus, Detroit, Dallas and Chicago all year long. LMAO. The Hurricanes are 16-7-4 against those CRAP teams. That's half of their wins.

That division is not any better than the North. At all.

Crabapple

Jun 17, 2010
Edmonton
I think if you're Seattle you have to take the Carolina group. The Toronto group has the better player in Matthews and Marner, but I think Tavares is extremely overpaid. I think the flexibility it gives them to add great depth pieces would be better than the star power upfront. Interesting poll

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
It’s actually six points now and the top team in the NHL playing in the toughest division with the Leafs playing in a much weaker division. I’ll ignore the usual personal attack from you because you have no real rebuttal other than the annual ‘the Leafs had a player injured’ lame excuse. Apparently no other team loses such a ‘superstar’ as Andersen to injury.
:laugh:

I love how the NEW narrative is to call the North Division "weaker", likely because the Leafs are on top of it. LOL.

The Cenrtral's best teams are only where they are from feasting on their division's weak sisters(Detroit, Columbus, Chicago and Dallas), the SAME as the North's good teams are there from all the feasting on it's own crap teams.......Ottawa, Vancouver, Calgary and Montreal.

Reactions: Pyrophorus

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
What a load of garbage. "Weaker division", my arse. Carolina's been feasting on Columbus, Detroit, Dallas and Chicago all year long. LMAO. The Hurricanes are 16-7-4 against those CRAP teams. That's half of their wins.

The hell are you talking about. Dallas has 54 points in the standings, which would put them in the playoffs in the North.

And to claim that the Canes have been 'feasting' on Detroit this year is a farce. They're the only team in the division that we aren't going to finish the year at least having tied the season series. Not great, but also
4-3-1 against Tampa
6-0-2 against Florida
6-0-0 against Nashville
6-1-1 against Dallas

Carolina plus 3 out of that group will make the playoffs in the Central. The Canes are currently 22-4-4 against teams in the playoff hunt in the Central

Feasting on the scrubs my ass

Last edited:

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
The hell are you talking about. Dallas has 54 points in the standings, which would put them in the playoffs in the North.

And to claim that the Canes have been 'feasting' on Detroit this year is a farce. They're the only team in the division that we aren't going to finish the year at least having tied the season series. Not great, but also
4-3-1 against Tampa
6-0-2 against Florida
6-0-0 against Nashville
6-1-1 against Dallas

Carolina plus 3 out of that group will make the playoffs in the Central. The Canes are currently 22-4-4 against teams in the playoff hunt in the Central

Feasting on the scrubs my ass

LOL. You can't compare how one team does in a "closed division" to another, from another closed division, and say one is better than the other, or that division is better the another. It doesn't work that way. You don't know SQUAT about how you'd do against all teams from all divisions THIS season, because you haven't played any.

And who cares if Dallas has 54 points? They've only played against teams in one division. But they are basically the Montreal of that division.......not so good.

And Toronto hasn't done well against Vancouver this year either. That doesn't mean Vancouver is not crap.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON

Carolina has a losing record against Detroit this year so far. How are we feasting on them?

Dallas and Nashville have a better points percentage than the 4 seed in the North, so exactly how are they CRAP teams?

As per usual, you're dead wrong but really that's not a surprise to anyone around here.

Last edited:
Reactions: WetcoastOrca

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
I was replying to a comment where you literally tried to do just that.

The goalposts have moved clear to the moon at this point.

"Carolina only has a great record because they feast on bad teams!!!"
*shows that this is clearly wrong*
".... uh.. well you can't just compare your division to ours! Bazinga!"

Literally doesn't understand the double-think. Yes, your team only looks good because I think the teams in your division are "CRAP". No, you can't call the teams in my division bad because there is no way to compare divisions this year.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
The goalposts have moved clear to the moon at this point.

"Carolina only has a great record because they feast on bad teams!!!"
*shows that this is clearly wrong*
".... uh.. well you can't just compare your division to ours! Bazinga!"

Literally doesn't understand the double-think. Yes, your team only looks good because I think the teams in your division are "CRAP". No, you can't call the teams in my division bad because there is no way to compare divisions this year.
The bad faith arguments and thinly veiled trolling on this site does make you roll your eyes at times, doesn't it

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I love how the NEW narrative is to call the North Division "weaker", likely because the Leafs are on top of it. LOL.

The Cenrtral's best teams are only where they are from feasting on their division's weak sisters(Detroit, Columbus, Chicago and Dallas), the SAME as the North's good teams are there from all the feasting on it's own crap teams.......Ottawa, Vancouver, Calgary and Montreal.
Swing and a miss my young Mackinaw!
The Central has Carolina, Florida and Tampa all three of which would be first in the North. The Central is the toughest Division and the North is the weakest.
Mind you I’m sure none of those teams suffered any injuries though like the Leafs losing their star player Andersen. I love how the narrative has changed from Andersen being the sole reason the Leafs lost to now being a critical player once he’s injured.

Last edited:
Reactions: GIN ANTONIC

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
How does Carolina compare to Toronto this year (should be noted that the Canes have played 49 games vs Toronto at 48 games)

Wins - Carolina (32 vs 30)
Points - Carolina (71 vs 65)
Points % - Carolina (.724 vs .677)
Goals per game - Toronto (3.31 vs. 3.28)
Goals Against - Carolina (2.43 vs. 2.71)
Goal Differential - Carolina (+42 vs +29)

Carolina has even had more injuries to key players and they're still battling for top spot in the league. Not really sure what you can point to at all to claim the Leafs have been better than the Canes this year.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
How does Carolina compare to Toronto this year (should be noted that the Canes have played 49 games vs Toronto at 48 games)

Wins - Carolina (32 vs 30)
Points - Carolina (71 vs 65)
Points % - Carolina (.724 vs .677)
Goals per game - Toronto (3.31 vs. 3.28)
Goals Against - Carolina (2.43 vs. 2.71)
Goal Differential - Carolina (+42 vs +29)

Carolina has even had more injuries to key players and they're still battling for top spot in the league. Not really sure what you can point to at all to claim the Leafs have been better than the Canes this year.
What makes those stats even more impressive imo is that three of the top contenders play in the Central whereas I’d argue the Leafs are the only top 8 team in the North. While these things tend to run in cycles the Central is just stacked right now and the Canadian Division is very weak.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
What makes those stats even more impressive imo is that three of the top contenders play in the Central whereas I’d argue the Leafs are the only top 8 team in the North. While these things tend to run in cycles the Central is just stacked right now and the Canadian Division is very weak.

There's a stat out there that shows other than games where the opponent scored an ENG to make it a 2 goal difference at the end, the Canes have been within 1 goal of their opponents for every game this season. The one exception being a 3-0 loss to Tampa which was 2-0 + the ENG.

Obviously not talking about games where the Canes won, because as we can see they beat Dallas 5-1 yesterday. Basically showing that Carolina has been super competitive in every game this season. Even in their losses they have been 1 shot away from tying it up. No blowouts against. No big slumps. I think it was against Tampa where they lost 3 in a row and that was the biggest dip in the season. Even in losses we are generally bringing it to OT or SO which helps keep the momentum.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
I was replying to a comment where you literally tried to do just that.

I didn't do that at all. I was simply saying that Carolina is no better/worse than Toronto right now.........they are literally within a wisp of each other. And how other teams in their respective divisions do, doesn't mean much. One division is NOT better or worse than the other......we have no way to quantify that except points. And you can't just use points to compare because the divisions don't play each other. So 71 points in ONE division does not necessarily make that team "better" than a 65 point team in another division, that team A has never even played.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Carolina has a losing record against Detroit this year so far. How are we feasting on them?

Dallas and Nashville have a better points percentage than the 4 seed in the North, so exactly how are they CRAP teams?

As per usual, you're dead wrong but really that's not a surprise to anyone around here.

Meh. Toronto has a losing record against Vancouver too. Big deal.

OVERALL, Carolina's record against the weaker teams in their division is very good, as is Toronto's in it's division. You don't finish an analysis by only looking at ONE team, do you?

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Meh. Toronto has a losing record against Vancouver too. Big deal.

OVERALL, Carolina's record against the weaker teams in their division is very good, as is Toronto's in it's division. You don't finish an analysis by only looking at ONE team, do you?

It's not a big deal. You were the one who brought it up. All I did was correct you yet again.

This year, or any year really, all you can do is play the games that are in front of you. Carolina has done a better job of that than the Leafs have. Tampa has done a better job as well. Florida is pretty much the same as Toronto.

Canes have the 2nd best record in the league by points %. Tampa is 4th. Florida is tied with Toronto for 7th. Canes are 4-3-1 against Tampa and 6-0-2 against Florida. We've handled the tough competition just fine.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
LOL. You cannot prove what you claim. AT ALL.

Garbage.
Agreed. Your post is garbage, as usual.
The narrative that the Canadian Division is weak is not a new one as you try to claim. The last Canadian team to win a Cup was over a quarter of a century ago. And yet roughly 20% of the teams are Canadian so on average one should win every five years or so. The last Canadian team to make the SCF was in 2011, a decade ago.
Be better.

Reactions: Svechhammer

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Canes have the 2nd best record in the league by points %. Tampa is 4th. Florida is tied with Toronto for 7th. Canes are 4-3-1 against Tampa and 6-0-2 against Florida. We've handled the tough competition just fine.

Again.......MEH.

Toronto was #1 in the league for much of the season. And someone else may end up passing Carolina and sitting there after the next 8 games while they fall. Who knows? The season ain't done.

Toronto is 6-3 against Winnipeg and 6-1-2 against Edmonton. Whoop-D-Do. For all anyone knows, Carolina would get KILLED by these teams if they had to play them this year. You're only looking at how you're doing against a few teams, and proclaiming some kind of greatness. LMAO. Calm down. The Hurricanes ain't bad by any stretch, but they ain't great either.

They are the same as the Leafs.

:)

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Again.......MEH.

Toronto was #1 in the league for much of the season. And someone else may end up passing Carolina and sitting there after the next 8 games while they fall. Who knows? The season ain't done.

Toronto is 6-3 against Winnipeg and 6-1-2 against Edmonton. Whoop-D-Do. For all anyone knows, Carolina would get KILLED by these teams if they had to play them this year. You're only looking at how you're doing against a few teams, and proclaiming some kind of greatness. LMAO. Calm down. The Hurricanes ain't bad by any stretch, but they ain't great either.

They are the same as the Leafs.

:)

I mean maybe, Carolina would get killed by the Jets and Oilers. I told you they did have trouble against weaker competition like Detroit so who knows.

Just so we have this straight...

- Carolina being 2nd in the league and a couple wins away from 1st overall 'ain't great'
- The Leafs are tied for the 7th best record in the league and that's the same as Carolina being 2nd

I know 2 and 7 kind of look a like if you flip them upside down but are you really this clueless?

Reactions: Svechhammer

Conspiracy Theorist

Jan 30, 2016
Just to clarify the story, Toronto lost to Ayres because Carolina absolutely dominated them line-after-line, man-after-man for almost 30 minutes. Not because Ayres played well. Toronto could have lost that game to a cardboard cutout in net.
I'm not sure Toronto has better forwards than Carolina. The only player that is arguably better than Aho is Matthews and even then it's close.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad