Carolina quartet or Toronto qaurtet

For the start of 2021/2022 season and onward, which quartet do you build around?

• Total voters

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
Your the GM of the Seattle kraken, and you get to inherit the contracts of either group. Factoring in contracts which 4 some do you build your new franchise around

keep in mind svech is coming off ELC and needs a new contract and trochek contract is up in a year.

Last edited:

DickSmehlik

Oct 23, 2006
The Empire State
I think Toronto has the better higher end players but age and contract considerations, I like Carolina, as they will give more cap flexibility to acquire the other necessary pieces.

Don't get me wrong, I like Matthews and Marner, I think they are 2 great studs but I could do without Johnny T's contract and age, and Nylander doesn't move the needle much for me.

I don't know what to make of Trochek, but I'd be comfortable betting on the other 3 Carolina players going forward.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Matthews and Marner is the best duo, imo. But the Carolina quartet has no weak spots and obviously better contracts. Tavares’ age and contract would be a big concern. How many more elite years does he have left before that contract really impacts the cap and options for filling out the roster. Maybe one more?

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
Carolina, Carolina, Carolina

The Leafs group has a lot of talent, but it’s a group that absolutely checks out when the going gets tough. These guys aren’t concerned about winning. Plus, it has 3 bad contracts and Nylander who’s pretty meh.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Matthews is ~$3.18 mil more expensive than Aho (same remaining term). Nylander is ~$1.52 mil more expensive than Teravainen (same remaining term).

Svechnikov is under team control for another 4 years. A contract of that length, which makes him a 25 year old UFA, would run $7 mil or so (Laine bridge + extra years - flat cap effect). Marner makes ~$3.9 mil more.

Tavares is $6.25 mil more expensive than Trocheck next season. If Trocheck keeps it up, he'll get a good raise on a long-term deal. Anywhere close to Tavares would be a surprise, however.

All total, the Canes' quartet would be ~$14.85 mil cheaper in 21-22. That number would still be 8 figures for 22-23 and beyond.

That's a lot of cap. You really have to value elite scoring to pay that premium for it.

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
Thought it was an interesting diverse poll. Also you only get matthews for 3 more years, and he would be the type to bolt to no tax sunny Las Vegas.

as another poster said above me, as a whole, the Toronto 4 some is not concerned with winning, just about how much they can fill their bank account.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Building around in this current flat cap environment?

Carolina all day any day. So much more room to play so that you can fill out the roster with, say, an elite defensive core that allows the likes of Petr Mrazek, James Reimer, and Alex Nedeljkovic to cumulatively give up the 4th fewest goals in the league this season.

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
Since it’s my poll I’ll chime in. I take Carolina without hesitation. As the poster above me said, flat cap environment, cap flexibility is a massive asset.

Reactions: bobc222

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I'm both a Toronto and Carolina booster, so this is a fun question!

Matthews is the best player on this list, but I'd take the Carolina group given the flat cap environment and price control on the four.

Tavares and Marner are very good but overpaid. Marner is wildly overrated.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Yes it does, however the poll as I write this is 36-22 in favour of Toronto....
A lot more Toronto than Carolina fans on here. Take out the two fanbase and I think it’s a coin flip. Comes down to whether you prefer the better high end talent of Toronto vs the better all round group with better contracts of Carolina.

Reactions: DaveG

LFCTML

Nov 29, 2019
The contracts help it from being too lopsided, but I still take the Toronto group without thinking twice.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Carolina is the better team, but as far as high-end forwards, Toronto has the advantage.

LaMasquerade

Mar 11, 2018
Tampere
Was going to vote TOR, but then I saw "factoring in contracts" and that changed my vote.

I mean with $43M vs $20M you can add pretty nice pieces to your defence etc. (of course Svechnikov won't be that cheap next season, but I think it will be around $7M for him, so the difference will still be some $15M).

Reactions: Tryamw

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I'm both a Toronto and Carolina booster, so this is a fun question!

Matthews is the best player on this list, but I'd take the Carolina group given the flat cap environment and price control on the four.

Tavares and Marner are very good but overpaid. Marner is wildly overrated.

I honestly don't understand this view. The guy creates so much for his linemates almost every time he steps on the ice. Apart from being an average goal scorer, he's absolutely one of the elite point producers in hockey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad