Carolina quartet or Toronto qaurtet

For the start of 2021/2022 season and onward, which quartet do you build around?

• Total voters

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Carolina is ahead by 4 points over the Leafs in the much tougher Central Division so clearly the extra cap space has helped them. In a short season with the built in parity of three point games that’s a decent difference especially considering the Division they play in.
Put another way, Carolina is in second spot overall only behind Vegas while the Leafs are in a tie for 8 spot despite playing in the weaker North. The Central has Florida, Tampa and Carolina which are all top teams and Nashville and Dallas which are decent teams. It’s the toughest division. The North has Toronto and maybe Edmonton but that’s about it.

You really read a lot into 4 points. An absurd amount really.

We can't take that seriously of course and your history of any desperate argument to vote against the Leafs make that point even more laughable as it ignores so many factors and has 0 context. Tell me how many man games Carolina lost in net before thinking their 4 points indicate superior management. Our starter has been out half the year....

Omg what a funny take.

Last edited:

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
Carolina has a great team, probably better than ours. Their forward group though is not as high end and that is not disputable.

Aho 49 points in 49 games.
Trochek 39 points in 40 games
Tervainen 9 point in 14 games
Svech 36 points in 49 games

Matthews 58 points in 44 games
Marner 59 points in 48 games
JT 44 points in 48 games
WN 35 points in 43 games.

Man for man Leafs are clearly better offensively until the 4 spot. You can debate that one if you want.

For the start of 2021/2022 season and onward, which quartet do you build around?

"Carolina has a great team, probably better than ours" - They have a 50% cheaper Top4 thats why they can afford to have a top-notch D. Ofcourse I wanna build around cost-controlled players rather than overpaid ones, even if they were slightly better. This is a teamgame - Your top scorers cant play on 4 lines and D also...

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.

"Carolina has a great team, probably better than ours" - They have a 50% cheaper Top4 thats why they can afford to have a top-notch D. Ofcourse I wanna build around cost-controlled players rather than overpaid ones, even if they were slightly better. This is a teamgame - Your top scorers cant play on 4 lines and D also...
So who does Seattle pick up with that cap space?
Thats what the thread is about, so how do you spend it? I'm sure you would find the flawless lineup.

Reactions: Atomos2

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On

oh god. Yes tell us how the two guys 4th and 5th in scoring are overpaid. Tell us how the first available young UFA C in his prime was overpaid despite knowing San Jose offered 2 mil more. We all know Nylander is overpaid to right?

Try again.

Going forward you have to rely on JT' decline which is years away still and ignore the massive talent gaps created by Marner and Matthews.. You are trying too hard. Swap JT for Kerfoot and Leafs are still ahead.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
They have a 50% cheaper Top4 thats why they can afford to have a top-notch D. Of course I wanna build around cost-controlled players rather than overpaid ones, even if they were slightly better. This is a team game - Your top scorers cant play on 4 lines and D also...

And again.......having that extra money for your "top 4 D" hasn't made Carolina any better than Toronto. At all. They are both within a wisp of each other, and yet have had two very different salary cap distribution plans. Toronto spends more on the top 4, locking in SUPER elite players, and less elsewhere. Carolina spends less on their top 4, and more elsewhere. Same results.

LOL. Let's see how the last 8 games play out. And let's see if either team can win anything beyond that. A round or two doesn't mean much IMO. Winning a Conference is the start of something good, and winning a cup is everything. Otherwise, we'll all kinda in the same boat.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
So who does Seattle pick up with that cap space?
Thats what the thread is about, so how do you spend it? I'm sure you would find the flawless lineup.

2021-2022 and going forward... Why the hell would Seattle handcuff themselves with 3 albatrosses? Having a shitload of cap is a really good asset for the future. Even better one with a flat cap. Matthews and Marner are the best pieces here, but they are paid too much. Tavares is worse than Aho and is paid almost 3M more. Thats a good 2-3 liner.
[MOD] Toronto 4 arent 100% better than the Carolina 4? Toronto has overpaid their players to the point they wont contend. They get to the playoffs, but they will never contend with that material. Why on earth would I wanna build a team that never contends because overpaying?

Last edited by a moderator:

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
Tell me how many man games Carolina lost in net before thinking their 4 points indicate superior management. Our starter has been out half the year....
Mrazek (our starter) has missed 40/49 games this season :laugh:

upload_2021-4-28_7-45-37.gif

Reactions: DaveG

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
And again.......having that extra money for your "top 4 D" hasn't made Carolina any better than Toronto. At all. They are both within a wisp of each other, and yet have had two very different salary cap distribution plans. Toronto spends more on the top 4, locking in SUPER elite players, and less elsewhere. Carolina spends less on their top 4, and more elsewhere. Same results.

LOL. Let's see how the last 8 games play out. And let's see if either team can win anything beyond that. A round or two doesn't mean much IMO. Winning a Conference is the start of something good, and winning a cup is everything. Otherwise, we'll all kinda in the same boat.

Surely you realize that while neither Carolina or Toronto have won the cup recently, and that’s the ultimate goal, they aren’t ‘the same’.

Like only 1 film wins an Oscar for best picture each year, it doesn’t mean that every other film that doesn’t is of equal value. The Shining and Grown Ups 2 aren’t the same caliber just because neither won best picture.

The Canes have clearly been the better team of bet the past 3 years when it comes to team success. No they haven’t won it all, just like many other teams but that doesn’t mean everyone is equal. Detroit and Ottawa aren’t the same as Vegas and Colorado. Auston Matthews isn’t the same as Pierre Engvall just because neither has won the Hart. That’s just stupid logic and even you should know better.

Reactions: Namikaze Minato

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
Surely you realize that while neither Carolina or Toronto have won the cup recently, and that’s the ultimate goal, they aren’t ‘the same’.

Like only 1 film wins an Oscar for best picture each year, it doesn’t mean that every other film that doesn’t is of equal value. The Shining and Grown Ups 2 aren’t the same caliber just because neither won best picture.

The Canes have clearly been the better team of bet the past 3 years when it comes to team success. No they haven’t won it all, just like many other teams but that doesn’t mean everyone is equal. Detroit and Ottawa aren’t the same as Vegas and Colorado. Auston Matthews isn’t the same as Pierre Engvall just because neither has won the Hart. That’s just stupid logic and even you should know better.
This is the weirdest argument full of random things ive ever agreed with, I love it.

Reactions: GIN ANTONIC

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto

LMAO. Uh, all the NOMINATED Oscar films are indeed equal and any one of them is very likely worthy of the Oscar........and yes, only one will win. That's he true indicator of success, isn't it? It gets real hard real quick, to remember all the nominees each year, but everyone remembers the winner, don't they? Still.......it's nice to be nominated. ;)

(And I highly doubt that "Grown Ups 2" would ever be nominated for an Oscar. Good analogy/logic on display there. Well done. LOL.)

No, Carolina has had exactly zero successes, compared to Toronto the last bunch of years. They've won NOTHING.

:)

cesareborgia

Jun 9, 2010
I understand you beeing bad at math since you are blind.

1C Sebastian Aho

Normal season: 359GP 142G 170A 312P +51

playoffs. 23GP 8G 16A +9

LW/RW Nylander

Normal season: 350GP 100G 156A 256P +22

playoffs : 25GP 5G 10A 15P -1

I understand completely now how much better W.Nylander is than Aho. Playoffs doesnt matter, points dont matter and position doesnt either - Only the colour of your shirt does!
Alrighty I concede. Aho is slightly better than Nylander (Toronto's 4th best player in the quartet). But Nylander is better than everyone else in Carolina's quartet.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
The origin story of these top-4 groups is also interesting to contrast.

One group = two #1 overalls (one drafted and one overpaid) + a top-5 pick + a top-10 pick

One group = one top-5 pick + 2nd round pick + a guy they got for taking 1 year of Brian Bickell + a guy they got for 4 pennies (Luostarinen + Priskie + Wallmark + Haula)

And people are clinging to their group being more skilled. Gee, I would hope so. Four players averaging a top-5 pick versus guys picked up mostly with bags of pucks.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009

One group = two #1 overalls (one drafted and one overpaid) + a top-5 pick + a top-10 pick

One group = one top-5 pick + 2nd round pick + a guy they got for taking 1 year of Brian Bickell + a guy they got for 4 pennies (Luostarinen + Priskie + Wallmark + Haula)

And people are clinging to their group being more skilled. Gee, I would hope so. Four players averaging a top-5 pick versus guys picked up mostly with bags of pucks.
It's not like Leafs fans got together to make this thread to make themselves feel good, lol. There are Leafs fans responding in this thread and picking their guys just like Canes fans. Can't really fault or call out anyone for it.

Anyways, both teams are good. Canes have had far more success over the last few years, but I do think Toronto will go on a nice run this year and get some good experience.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto

Yes but that's just it. Toronto's group is more skilled. No one is "clinging" to that, as it's simply a fact. How the two groups were assembled is a whole other topic.

The question in this poll was "which quartet do you take?". And the answer is the that happens to be BETTER quartet. The Leaf quartet. Four player salaries shouldn't matter to a new team like the Seattle Kraken(or any team, really, as the Leafs are proving). :)

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Yes but that's just it. Toronto's group is more skilled. No one is "clinging" to that, as it's simply a fact. How the two groups were assembled is a whole other topic.

The question in this poll was "which quartet do you take?". And the answer is the that happens to be BETTER quartet. The Leaf quartet. Four player salaries shouldn't matter to a new team like the Seattle Kraken(or any team, really, as the Leafs are proving). :)

This couldn't be more wrong. :)

John Tavares is a ~ppg #2C making $11 million. Vincent Trocheck is a ~ppg #2C making $4.75 million. If you don't see why some/most teams may prefer the second despite the first technically having more skill then I'm not sure I can help.

Hint: the difference in both ~ppg #2Cs who are producing similarly on their top teams nearly pays for the entire salaries of Jaccob Slavin + Brett Pesce. :teach2:

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
It's not like Leafs fans got together to make this thread to make themselves feel good, lol. There are Leafs fans responding in this thread and picking their guys just like Canes fans. Can't really fault or call out anyone for it.

Anyways, both teams are good. Canes have had far more success over the last few years, but I do think Toronto will go on a nice run this year and get some good experience.

Talk to your friend @Holymakinaw because apparently every team that doesn’t the win the Stanley Cup is exactly the same.

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
The argument about teams not winning the cup are the same is ludicrous....
Should I remind leaf fans that the NYI actually improved results once Taveras left....#facts

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Hint: the difference in both ~ppg #2Cs who are producing similarly on their top teams nearly pays for the entire salaries of Jaccob Slavin + Brett Pesce. :teach2:

Oooh.......Slavin & Pesce.

Big deal. The Leafs have Brodie and Muzzin, who are just as good.

AGAIN, the Leaf's spending on the "big four" didn't hurt their ability to sign Brodie and Muzzin. You act like Carolina has won something. LOL. They've won nothing, and the Leafs are neck & neck with them, however the salaries are being distributed.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
sure keep him. But leafs put up 8 on any other goalie so make sure he plays all your games against them.

Just to clarify the story, Toronto lost to Ayres because Carolina absolutely dominated them line-after-line, man-after-man for almost 30 minutes. Not because Ayres played well. Toronto could have lost that game to a cardboard cutout in net.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
Carolina went to the conference finals 2 yrs ago...Toronto hasn’t won a playoff round since 2004. Using this year as the barometer as whose team is better is ridiculous as these divisions are a one off, not to mention only playing within the division. If this was a normal year, Toronto would be facing one of Tampa/Florida/Boston in round 1; how do you like their chances then, looking at Toronto’s past, not good.

I love history lessons-make the hate shine through even more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad