Status
Not open for further replies.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
9m x 5

An extra 1st, just to make them ponder it a little longer.
it wouldn’t have worked, probably, but I think 9 would’ve fit in the team’s salary structure.
I think he spent too much time worrying about his own team and not enough on Carolina, on how they could save face by not matching.

At least with 2 firsts Carolina could sell the fans that they could make good on the picks, or something.

Reactions: zeeto

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I’ll explain it one last time for you. There’s no point signing anyone to an offer sheet if you have buyer’s remorse and the contract doesn’t work for your team. Signing Aho to a $10.5M contract screws our future salary structure. It bumps everyone up a couple of million. Bergevin signed him for what he would accept while putting Carolina under pressure, hoping they would choose to not match it. If it doesn’t work out, it doesn’t work out.
Yes, that's part of my point...
1) You don't want to massively overpay and hurt your team with a bad contract.
2) You don't want to overpay on the compensation.
3) Unless you clearly overpay, they will match. Why wouldn't they? (hence....)

This is why you don't see that many offer sheets. Either teams don't want to pay way over value, or they don't want to give up the cost in picks.

In this instance, Carolina got no pressure, they laughed, scoffed, and announced right away they would match as this is a very reasonable contract Aho signed.
Offer sheets are not primarily about you, they're about the opposing team you're trying to screw over. You need to structure the deal in a way you believe there's very little chance they match. If they only way to do that is by screwing up your own team, well then you don't do the offer sheet.
You don't waste your time signing one you know will be matched.

Waste of time? What time? Who’s time was wasted? Yours? Bergevin is trying to make his team better, he doesn’t care how much time you spend on the Internet discussing a move.

Waste of time as in...he should have focused on something else..? Unless you overpay, then forget offer sheets. So focus on a different angle.
Not sure why you're being so aggressive and lamely attempting to be condescending here.

Last edited:

Omar

Oct 10, 2017

This is why you don't see that many offer sheets. Either teams don't want to pay way over value, or they don't want to give up the cost in picks.

In this instance, Carolina got no pressure, they laughed, scoffed, and announced right away they would match as this is a very reasonable contract Aho signed.
Offer sheets are not primarily about you, they're about the opposing team you're trying to screw over. You need to structure the deal in a way you believe there's very little chance they match. If they only way to do that is by screwing up your own team, well then you don't do the offer sheet.

Waste of time as in...he should have focused on something else..? Unless you overpay, then forget offer sheets. So focus on a different angle.
Not sure why you're being so aggressive and lamely attempting to be condescending here.

We didn’t get him. No biggie, we tried. We didn’t miss out on anyone so we didn’t waste any time. Now move on?

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
I want something crazy to happen. Give Marner a huge offer, 4 1sts territory. Either way whatever happens will be super entertaining.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
It all depends on where you think you'll be picking. A top 5 pick is worth a heck more than a 26th. Given our current make up, I wouldnt be willing to give up those 1st.

Thing is, adding that caliber of player significantly improves us & with the 4x1sts gone, he'd have a direction imposed,so no more sitting on cap space &/or tinkering around with depth moves... The pressure to aggressively address roster gaps would force him to move away from the idiotic "one foot in one foot out" approach he's navigated the past 8 years.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
I want something crazy to happen. Give Marner a huge offer, 4 1sts territory. Either way whatever happens will be super entertaining.
I enjoyed the offer sheet on Aho and how upset it made people. It was exciting for about the first ten minutes till I realized it was to easy to match.

I'd be ok with a max offer on a#1 c like Aho or point, or a future #1d, but I'd rather just throw 10.5 at the wingers just for the drama

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Thing is, adding that caliber of player significantly improves us & with the 4x1sts gone, he'd have a direction imposed,so no more sitting on cap space &/or tinkering around with depth moves... The pressure to aggressively address roster gaps would force him to move away from the idiotic "one foot in one foot out" approach he's navigated the past 8 years.
Ya..I view this from a standpoint that he wont change his tip toeing the line approach.
He'd make this offer sheet and things alls well and done.
Also, even if we would sign Marner, given the current make up, I dont like our team. Still too many holes and I'd still view it as a bubble one.

Reactions: Milhouse40

Omar

Oct 10, 2017
Waste of time, failed offer sheet attempt. Yup.
Now leave this thread if you dont want to comment on things.
So every trade discussion a GM has that doesn’t result in a trade is a waste of time? That’s a lot of time wasted eh

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
You are talking about his value to the Habs, I'm talking about his value league wide, as teams would value a 83 pt center over a 50 pt winger.

As for his impact, I'm sure Aho would have fit in just fine. Domi, Suzuki as wingers, Gallagher if Suzuki needs AHL time. Caufield in a year or two if things go well for him.

I do agree that Laine could turn Kotka into a ppg center or thereabouts but having Aho and Kotka as a 1-2 punch down the middle would be sick.

Laine is not a 50 pt winger, he's probably a PPG winger with the right center. You are comparing the career year of someone with the worse season of somebody else...

Aho would do fine because he's a good player, but he's not boosting the outcome of much of our assets. We don't have a winger for him outside of maybe Caufield in the future.

Thus it's much more valuable to have a Laine with KK, who would instantly find the space he needs to gain confidence. The interaction would then spread to another winger. + the power play problem might be solved.

Why replace Domi so quick at center? It seems we may have something surprisingly good there and Domi fit well with the pieces that we have. Domi would benefit from adding Tkachuk much like KK with Laine, Domi-KK is a fine 2 punch, particularly with the 3rd punch of Danault then Poehling.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
So every trade discussion a GM has that doesn’t result in a trade is a waste of time? That’s a lot of time wasted eh
Not, every trade...but if you're calling a GM to offer something under value where they will obviously decline, then ya, it's a waste of time. If you call Edmonton to offer them Domi in a 1 vs 1 swap for McDavid, would that not be a complete waste of time???

The offer made to Aho was obviously going to be matched, so it was a waste of time. Utterly pointless.

But hey, I guess it did work on some level. Bergevin publicly stated he made this move so fans can see he and Molson are trying....You swallowed that up real easy.
Here you are foolishly arguing how an offer sheet that was obviously not going to work wasn't pointless or a waste of time.
I mean...do you even realize what you're arguing about here??

I get it...you feel Bergevin is overly bashed...great. Still, this was a useless and pointless offer.
Had we given him an offer in the next tier, then you'd have more of a case. Right now you don't.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Laine is not a 50 pt winger, he's probably a PPG winger with the right center. You are comparing the career year of someone with the worse season of somebody else...

Aho would do fine because he's a good player, but he's not boosting the outcome of much of our assets. We don't have a winger for him outside of maybe Caufield in the future.

Thus it's much more valuable to have a Laine with KK, who would instantly find the space he needs to gain confidence. The interaction would then spread to another winger. + the power play problem might be solved.

Why replace Domi so quick at center? It seems we may have something surprisingly good there and Domi fit well with the pieces that we have. Domi would benefit from adding Tkachuk much like KK with Laine, Domi-KK is a fine 2 punch, particularly with the 3rd punch of Danault then Poehling.

I offered a trade of Drouin, a 50 pt player, for Laine, supposedly a ''50 pt player'' to someone making this claim. Didn't get a response for some strange reason.

SakuKoivu11

Jun 29, 2017
Marc Bergevin wanted to prove his statement that a number one center is not available you can get them you have to draft them.

He never wanted to acquire Aho which was why he offered lousy $8.45 mil. Thus allowing Aho and his agent to make a fool out of Bergevin.

I think we need a new GM. Bergevin is signed until 2021-2022.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017

And Montreal lost f***ing nothing

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012
Who cares

People who hates Bergevin. Funny how they discredit his attempt at signing an elite player bringing up the low AAV which had nothing to do with the matching at all. I mean, this was explained how many times? Haters will hate no matter what. Pathetic.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
People who hates Bergevin. Funny how they discredit his attempt at signing an elite player bringing up the low AAV which had nothing to do with the matching at all. I mean, this was explained how many times? Haters will hate no matter what. Pathetic.
You think having a low AAV had nothing to do with the matching?? Lol...

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012
To be clear...you're the guy who thinks the cap hit of the player had no impact on whether or not the OS was matched?

I'm not explaining how that contract was tricky to Carolina's owner. It was explained a thousand times on this board. Choose what you want to believe.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
is it, though? It has 7 years left at $10.5M. The Panthers just gave Bobrovsky 7 years with a $10M cap. I'm sure we could find a place for Price if we wanted to trade him.

He might of been talking about the NMC but not sure. However, If Price wanted to be traded, there will be teams interested. He has already been paid $28M of his $84M contract too. That's averages out to $8M for the last 7 years which would be below average for a top 5 NHL goalie. Maybe there is some concern for the last 2 years at 37 and 38 but if a team is close to being a contender and needs a goalie to go all in, they would love to add Price. There is a long list of top goalies that have very good years in the 31-38 years.

After next July, Price will have been paid $38.75M.

However, if we get to a situation where Price wants to be traded and we want to trade him, a lot of negatives has to happen with our team direction in the next season or two.

Reactions: Le Tricolore
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad