Confirmed with Link: Carolina Officially Matches Habs' Offer Sheet for Aho

Status
Not open for further replies.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
Not sure there is hate. What was pretty hard to understand is to love for him for doing it. And I think that at this point, it's way more a dispute over the fans than it is for Bergie himself. He tried something that was called a failure from the get go by everybody. He did something that was innovative, yet transformed it into a joke. Put a lion's costume on a cat. So in the end, should be viewed as meh, instead of the OH MY GOD WHAT A DAY I saw when it happened. And the BUT HE TRIED SOMETHING TO IMPROVE THE TEAM as if it had any chance to succeed.

That's like me sending a e-mail to Beyonce and thinking that at least I proved how big my balls are for doing so and have a real chance at going out with her now that I did....You would tell me how delusional I am....

This forum boils down to ignoring what you want to.

People were rightly excited about an OS but there isn’t a reason to be mad about it not working. I’d also love to see who is in love with a failed offer sheet. Methinks those people don’t exist.

Reactions: Acadien86

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
He wants 70M back but there's this:

"The Carolina Hurricanes billionaire owner alleges, in documents obtained by The Athletic, that he was told that $55 million would get the now-defunct league through one season and the remainder of his $250 million investment would be used in subsequent seasons."

Seems like he indeed invested 250M.

Edit: To be more clear, he claims that only 70M was used. But with the fact that the business went bankrupt and that it needed 55M + 120M x times, it looks to me that his 250M is all gone. We will have to see the judge verdict.

Not that's not it mean.

Anyway here's the answer:

"New AAF Chair Tom Dundon, contrary to reports, has not invested $250M into the league, but has only “committed” to fund that amount over an undisclosed period of time. Two sources said Dundon can stop funding if he decides the investment is no longer worth it. Through an AAF spokesperson, Dundon did not directly answer whether the agreement allows him to stop funding and whether the money is due in increments, writing in response, “I have committed to investing $250 million into the Alliance of American Football. We now have the necessary capital to accelerate growth. We have the capital to make this a sustainable and profitable league.” Bob Caporale, a sports investment banker and adviser to fan-controlled league Your Call Football, said, “The words they used was committed, so that typically means in the business a commitment over time, not a one-time investment. It may have conditions so that certain milestones have to be achieved over the period of time, whether revenue, attendance, it could have milestones for each increment of investment.”"

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
The love for him doing it? Not sure if that's love, as I haven't seen many fans saying it was the greatest move and we were gonna land Aho for sure. Everybody had their doubt. The possibility of the owner not giving him the bonus was the subject that was most talked about.

Well the love with the This is a great day. And some with the ''I changed my mind on Bergie based on this''. And the it tooks some balls!!!!. Yeah, that was love.

Yes, it was the subject most talked about....5 seconds in until everybody else that it would clearly not be enough. OS is already tough like it is, do it when it count the most. Which is top money to a team totally strangled by the lack of space below the cap. That's when a OS might work. Everything else is smokescreen. Bergevin himself, in the same press conference, saying that it was a message to the fans...that he was trying.

In the end, for Bergie, this was a way to get out him trying. I mean there are surely numerous talks we don't hear about as far as trades or UFA are concerned. And we can't know about. Bergie decided to use that so that we would know he was doing his job.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
This forum boils down to ignoring what you want to.

People were rightly excited about an OS but there isn’t a reason to be mad about it not working. I’d also love to see who is in love with a failed offer sheet. Methinks those people don’t exist.

Still wondering why some were RIGHTLY excited. Are you excited because something new happens? Or because you thought it could actually work? If it's the latter...well it only took 5 seconds before everybody was saying it wouldn't work. And they were right, it didn't. If it's because something happened...well to each their own I guess.

About people being mad to see it not working.....well maybe because they were ready to give 4 1st, and pay Aho 11.5M$ a year for 7 years and think that then Canes wouldn't be able to match it. Why can't they think that and not love Bergie's supposed strategy?And to also hear how that big committee of people around Bergie tried to find the best way to get a young player, and for this to be destroyed and laughed at by so many people....people might be rightly disenchanted by the type of management we have.

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012
Not that's not it mean.

Anyway here's the answer:

"New AAF Chair Tom Dundon, contrary to reports, has not invested $250M into the league, but has only “committed” to fund that amount over an undisclosed period of time. Two sources said Dundon can stop funding if he decides the investment is no longer worth it. Through an AAF spokesperson, Dundon did not directly answer whether the agreement allows him to stop funding and whether the money is due in increments, writing in response, “I have committed to investing $250 million into the Alliance of American Football. We now have the necessary capital to accelerate growth. We have the capital to make this a sustainable and profitable league.” Bob Caporale, a sports investment banker and adviser to fan-controlled league Your Call Football, said, “The words they used was committed, so that typically means in the business a commitment over time, not a one-time investment. It may have conditions so that certain milestones have to be achieved over the period of time, whether revenue, attendance, it could have milestones for each increment of investment.”"

Yep, I read that. Skeptical because of these quotes:
"Dundon dit not directly answer whether the agreement allows him to stop funding"
"It may have condition so that certain milstones have to be achieved over the period of time etc.."

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
So what? He still invested 250M in it.

So much misinformation....never invested 250M in it....only 70M and that's why he's suing them for that amount. He was supposed to invest 250M but it never got there when he realized he was giving some wrong infos about the League's numbers so when he decided to pull the plug, only 70M was invested.

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
Yep, I read that. Skeptical because of these quotes:
"Dundon dit not directly answer whether the agreement allows him to stop funding"
"It may have condition so that certain milstones have to be achieved over the period of time etc.."

No reason to be skeptical about it.
If the AAF had indeed used the whole 250M then Dundon would have put a 250M claim against them in bankruptcy court. He filed for ~70M, so that's what was used.

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012
No reason to be skeptical about it.
If the AAF had indeed used the whole 250M then Dundon would have put a 250M claim against them in bankruptcy court. He filed for ~70M, so that's what was used.

Lots of scenarios could be possible. Billionaires have great lawyer to make them save money. Maybe I'm skeptical because I don't trust a guy who made his fortune with high interest loan.

Omar

Oct 10, 2017
Not, every trade...but if you're calling a GM to offer something under value where they will obviously decline, then ya, it's a waste of time. If you call Edmonton to offer them Domi in a 1 vs 1 swap for McDavid, would that not be a complete waste of time???

The offer made to Aho was obviously going to be matched, so it was a waste of time. Utterly pointless.

But hey, I guess it did work on some level. Bergevin publicly stated he made this move so fans can see he and Molson are trying....You swallowed that up real easy.
Here you are foolishly arguing how an offer sheet that was obviously not going to work wasn't pointless or a waste of time.
I mean...do you even realize what you're arguing about here??

I get it...you feel Bergevin is overly bashed...great. Still, this was a useless and pointless offer.
Had we given him an offer in the next tier, then you'd have more of a case. Right now you don't.

You seem to be really desperate to prove that Bergevin has been wasting time. Are you stalking his calendar?

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Laine is not a 50 pt winger, he's probably a PPG winger with the right center. You are comparing the career year of someone with the worse season of somebody else...

Aho would do fine because he's a good player, but he's not boosting the outcome of much of our assets. We don't have a winger for him outside of maybe Caufield in the future.

Thus it's much more valuable to have a Laine with KK, who would instantly find the space he needs to gain confidence. The interaction would then spread to another winger. + the power play problem might be solved.

Why replace Domi so quick at center? It seems we may have something surprisingly good there and Domi fit well with the pieces that we have. Domi would benefit from adding Tkachuk much like KK with Laine, Domi-KK is a fine 2 punch, particularly with the 3rd punch of Danault then Poehling.

Aho's more then a good player though, he's one of the best players in the league, and there's no way the only player he could help is Caufield. Gallagher, Suzuki, Domi, would all benefit from him.

Just think at adding a true #1 center that at 21 was a ppg so no telling how much better he can get or not. Laine is a shooter, do you think CJ would be a big fan of his?

I offered a trade of Drouin, a 50 pt player, for Laine, supposedly a ''50 pt player'' to someone making this claim. Didn't get a response for some strange reason.

That's because it's stupid. You have Drouin who makes 5.5M, is soft, lazy, poor defensively and struggled badly with consistent production. People just need to watch Drouin for a little and see how many holes are there in his game. He's 24 now, has had a bad rep and hasn't done anything to change that.

Laine is a 20 year old coming off a 30 goal 50 pt season, so it's more about the future and if he can get back to being a consistent 40 or more goal scorer.

If you could have Aho or Laine who do you take, not on the Habs, just in general.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
That's because it's stupid. You have Drouin who makes 5.5M, is soft, lazy, poor defensively and struggled badly with consistent production. People just need to watch Drouin for a little and see how many holes are there in his game. He's 24 now, has had a bad rep and hasn't done anything to change that.

Laine is a 20 year old coming off a 30 goal 50 pt season, so it's more about the future and if he can get back to being a consistent 40 or more goal scorer.

If you could have Aho or Laine who do you take, not on the Habs, just in general.

Of course it's stupid. It's not because Laine doesn't have any holes in his game that the comparison is stupid. It's because Laine isn't a 50 point player. Laine could put up 50 goals, much less points, while Drouin cannot.

In general I'd probably take Aho, and he was who I wanted us to offer sheet. He is ''the guy'' on Carolina, and that's something beyond points that I value. He played that role as an 18 year old for Kärpät as well. He was just electric. I think he has the ability to hit 100 pts. Laine presents more risk. One gets the sense that he might rest on his laurels and be not much more than Pacioretty. But good God can he ever score. Watching him shoot is like watching Tyson throw a punch: born to do it.

Jul 6, 2016
Of course it's stupid. It's not because Laine doesn't have any holes in his game that the comparison is stupid. It's because Laine isn't a 50 point player. Laine could put up 50 goals, much less points, while Drouin cannot.

In general I'd probably take Aho, and he was who I wanted us to offer sheet. He is ''the guy'' on Carolina, and that's something beyond points that I value. He played that role as an 18 year old for Kärpät as well. He was just electric. I think he has the ability to hit 100 pts. Laine presents more risk. One gets the sense that he might rest on his laurels and be not much more than Pacioretty. But good God can he ever score. Watching him shoot is like watching Tyson throw a punch: born to do it.

Wait for Caufield. He's gonna do the same... at a cheaper price.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
Aho's more then a good player though, he's one of the best players in the league, and there's no way the only player he could help is Caufield. Gallagher, Suzuki, Domi, would all benefit from him.

Just think at adding a true #1 center that at 21 was a ppg so no telling how much better he can get or not. Laine is a shooter, do you think CJ would be a big fan of his?

I guess this is where we disagree, to me he's not in the tier 1, he's a tier 2 player on a good season. Much like Domi (thus not an overwhelming upgrade over Domi). It doesn't mean that he won't get a few more PPG season, but he's likely to be the kind of guy with 3-5 of those seasons (and a lot of seasons around 70). He might get 1 90pts+.

Hard to tell between the 2 based on the last season. Statistically, over the past 3 years they are equal. But I think Laine is worth slightly more because of the goals factor/physicality over time. Laine will be better paid than Aho after this summer, so the market agrees with this estimation (at this time).

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I guess this is where we disagree, to me he's not in the tier 1, he's a tier 2 player on a good season. Much like Domi (thus not an overwhelming upgrade over Domi). It doesn't mean that he won't get a few more PPG season, but he's likely to be the kind of guy with 3-5 of those seasons (and a lot of seasons around 70). He might get 1 90pts+.

Hard to tell between the 2 based on the last season. Statistically, over the past 3 years they are equal. But I think Laine is worth slightly more because of the goals factor/physicality over time. Laine will be better paid than Aho after this summer, so the market agrees with this estimation (at this time).

how is Domi at the same level? At the same age as Aho, Domi had 38 pts in 59 games, that's a pace of 53 pts over 82 games which would have been his career high until this year at age 23. Domi is 28 months older and has played in 62 more games but Aho has only 10 less points. Over the last 2 years at 20 and 21 AHO has put up 148 pts in 160 games. That's f***ing sick. Domi at that age had 90 pts in 140 games. Clearly a noticeable difference.

As for Laine and Aho, we'll see what Laine gets and what he does, he's going to be attractive as a 6'5 sniper but Aho plays a more complete game. So it comes down to 1st line ppg center vs a 6'5 winger that could pot 50+ one day but is not known for his complete game.

Reactions: Kallio

lo striver

Jun 13, 2011
Our Lady of Grace
the-show-is-about-nothing-the-pitch-seinfeld-21878905.png

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
That's like me sending a e-mail to Beyonce and thinking that at least I proved how big my balls are for doing so and have a real chance at going out with her now that I did....You would tell me how delusional I am....

To be fair, if Beyonce agreed to meet you(or whatever your email is about) but her management stopped her I'd give you half a point of credit.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Personally, I find this whole fiasco embarrassing.
Eh, you have to keep in mind Aho signed the offer, which meant Carolina was trying to strong arm him, and at the very least he was comfortable with the idea of playing in Montreal

I wish we went in way stronger to take advantage of the opportunity, but I don't regret that the offer was made

Reactions: Shabs

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Nobody hates Bergevin for this but some wants him fired for even trying to sign Aho. I don't know about that. I thought we were moving on. I did. Your turn.
They don't want him fired just for trying to sign Aho....that's just the last straw that breaks the camel's back. It's all the accumulation of crap of the years and the latest form of uselessness is the Aho OS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad