GDT: Carolina @ Los Angeles: Whoever wins, we hurt our draft position edition

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
2-0 with 3 left, a gamble there is fine.

Team did a lot right, just don't have skill to turn chances into more than routine saves.

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
i'm loving the Canes this year

seriously deserving of a better result

good game guys! have hope!

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
That's what you came away with on that play?

Hanifin tried to press offensively because we desperately needed a goal, and you take defensive risks in the closing minutes of a game to make that happen. Maybe it's a bad decision, maybe it's just the chance you have to take to try and catch up. That can be debated, but he's a rookie, and the decision making will improve with time.

Murphy, on the other hand, was just hilariously overmatched. He made an okay choice, but he simply did not have the physical ability to execute. The Kings were able to act like he wasn't there, even when he was hugging one of them. He looked pretty utterly useless.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
So Hanifin's **** up is alright because reasons (bonus points for just not excusing it because it's his 7th or so NHL game), but Murphy's **** up- precipitated on the fact that he noticed Hanifin may have been getting back into position, which he wasn't- is bad because reasons.

Murphy's problem is that he committed to Lucic too late, so when he turned and tried to play the body, Lucic had a step on him. Murphy evidently thought Hanifin would get back, which he didn't.

Lucky Lindy

Jun 24, 2012
Stockholm
Good(...) morning all.

Not sorry that I fell asleep after their first goal. Hilarious that you stay up all night to watch this crap.

It feels so weird watching another team play PP, with their cycle and good possessions. Why can't we have that.

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
I only watched the highlights- did Hainsey ride any pine for that ridiculous turnover? God, I get that there aren't really a ton of other options but that was the most boneheaded play. Hanifin/Murphy/whoever can't be any worse

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
After 7 games, the Canes now have 11 regulation goals in 7 games..so scoring at a 1.57 G/Game clip. Unless they turn it around, they'll again be out of the playoff picture by December again. Not that I ever thought they'd be IN the playoffs, but not having any real meaningful games after the new year for yet another season is disappointing.

Then teams will take them lightly, throw a bunch of back-up goalies at them, and the team will play "loose" as there is no pressure and they'll again start winning enough to end up in the 5-8 pick range.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Have they? I hadn't noticed.

Yep. It's a weird decision that hadn't burned them much until last night.

Though I honestly expected it to be Murphy causing the 2-on-1 and Hanifin being left on an island. To have the opposite happen was odd.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Last night was Noah Hanifin's worst game as a professional. He made at least 3 ill-advised passes that led to turnovers. He was routinely out-muscled for the puck. And he often seemed to shy away from contact. Moreover he seemed to have trouble with routine passes.

The cheating that led to the break-away goal was at least understandable given that you try to make things happen late in a game down 2-0. I'll go back to what Faulk had told him which was to play his game. Right now he seems to be very tentative, playing not to make mistakes as opposed to playing fast and aggressive.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I agree that Hanifin was not very good most of last night, but also that I understand what he was trying to do in being aggressive in a game you're trailing at that point on the last one. Hopefully he can put it behind him and get back to playing his game a little bit more going forward. We all know there's going to be ups and downs with him. Last night was his biggest down so far, so it'll be interesting to see how he responds.

I do kind of wish that we could get some different D pairs, but much like with the offense, if you change one part to something you like, you probably end up looking at the rest and find it severely lacking.

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
Aside from his mistakes, the pass he made to Malone (which he of course whiffed) was disgusting. That kid is good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad