Prospect Info: Carolina Hurricanes select C Elias Lindholm at #5

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
I think the real problem with Lindholm, for us fans, is just general unfamiliarity. Of the top 10, I'd say he's the one I probably heard about the least. And when they play in other leagues, like the SEL, it's harder to make an apples to apples comparison like we can with Junior players.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I agree that probably has a lot to do with it Wally. Of the players I expected that would be realistically available at #5, I knew the least about him (vs. Monahan, Nurse, Nichushkin) up until a week or so ago when I spent more time finding out and he grew on me. I still thought JR would go the "safer" route with Monahan (I was never convinced he'd pick Nichushkin), but I think it's a good pick.

Brock Anton

flames #badnwagon
Nov 8, 2009
Westerly, RI
Why Lindholm?

jjjj_zpsdcce5560.png

1. Good smile.
2. Compete Level - 5/5

Swag Surf Aho

Find Your Own Style
Jul 2, 2011
Raleigh, NC
A right handed playmaking center with good size that put up impressive numbers in the third best men's league in the world in his first full season. Fits the bill for sure, but I think he pans out as a 2nd/3rd line tweener.

icing

Jun 22, 2003
Sweden
According to hockeysverige.se (best hockeysite in Sweden) Boston made serious tries to trade up to get Lindholm. Sven Ake Svensson (Boston scout) told that to the hockeysverige reporter (present in NJ) after the draft.

Pentothal

Dec 30, 2008
Zebulon?? That's the least Swedish name I've ever heard. Probably the least human name I've ever heard. Sounds like a sci-fi bad guy / planet. :laugh:

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Zebulon?? That's the least Swedish name I've ever heard. Probably the least human name I've ever heard. Sounds like a sci-fi bad guy / planet. :laugh:

Pool of nicknames for our new Swedish superstar:

Zeb
Z-Bo
Z-Train
Z-Vegas
Z-Money
E. Z.

Alternate non-Zebulon based choice:

The Elias Sports Bureau

--hank

Jussijuice

Jun 28, 2012
The gem in his stats is his IceQ. You can't teach hockey sense and based on those that have seen him and the videos I've watched this kids got it.

When you start drawing comparisons to Forsberg and Giroux because of your pure playmaking ability, I'd say you have reached 5/5 Hockey IQ territory.

Lindholm has the skill to be the best player of this Draft and was the ideal pick for the Canes who lack Playmakers. Watching him dish passes to Staal and Skinner for the next 5+ years will be a treat.

TheBigKahuna

Dec 6, 2010
Canes Country
When you start drawing comparisons to Forsberg and Giroux because of your pure playmaking ability, I'd say you have reached 5/5 Hockey IQ territory.

Lindholm has the skill to be the best player of this Draft and was the ideal pick for the Canes who lack Playmakers. Watching him dish passes to Staal and Skinner for the next 5+ years will be a treat.

Let's hope this pans out to be CLOSE.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
His playmaking and quickness make him really an excellent pick for us. He brings things to the table that we lack, and he would complement many players on this team well. We don't have playmakers, our top two centers are behemoth shoot first power forwards who are both lefties. Now we have a playmaker for the left side half wall on the pp as well. He really fits well forus. I'd agree nichushkin is also something we lack, but that wasn't ever gonna happen. Monahan would've been fine, but he would've been pretty similar to what we have. Nurse or ristolainen would've made some sense too based on what we have on d for the future but its hard to say no to the appeal of a good forward. Less development and more easily quantified production.

On our team semin is a top playmaker. That's all you need to know about what we lack up front. This was a very good pick.

djboos22

Aho (insert pun)
Jan 17, 2011
Palm Bay, FL
Love the pick. If he is as good a two way player as everyone is saying thats exactly what we need. Also landing Sekera is nice too. We didnt blow the roof off with any huge blockbusters, but I liked the moves we made today.

bluedevil58*

You know...minus the faceoffs this guy reminds me of an ex-cane. That ex-cane is Brindy. This guy looks to hit, has great speed, gets in front of the net, and knows how to play D. This might be the guy that puts us over the top. I was upset about not getting Nis. But after watching these videos and actually seeing him check. I am excited....

LVwrangler

Jun 9, 2013
I love the picture before him in that article. The I just got drafted to the Clagary Flames look... lol priceless

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad