Prospect Info: Carolina Hurricanes select C Elias Lindholm at #5

Novacane

Jan 25, 2012
Raleigh, NC
So I guess the "he can't play in the NHL" next year was wrong.

Chip Alexander ‏@ice_chip 14s
Rutherford said Lindholm either would be on Canes roster next year or go back to Sweden for last year of contract with Brynas.

Buenos Necas

lets go canes
Jul 18, 2009
Raleigh, NC

Rutherford said Lindholm either would be on Canes roster next year or go back to Sweden for last year of contract with Brynas.

Figured. You can usually make things work, and IIRC Rask had a similar problem but ended up in Calgary anyway.

smi

Jun 14, 2011
Regardless, I don't think one more year of seasoning in the SHL would do any bad for him.

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB

SEL players *ALL* have out clauses for the NHL. And considering his skillset, I'll be very surprised if he's not a 'Canes next year.

TheBigKahuna

Dec 6, 2010
Canes Country
Sorry, but not everyone is going to agree with the excitement about this pick. He's already been projected by some here, to be an elite #1 center in the NHL. Seriously? Compared to Nic Backstrom, because Backstrom put up so-so numbers in Byrnas, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

Oenatzu

Chad-in-the-Box
Mar 7, 2010
A lot of (if not all) young players in Europe have an out-clause for the NHL.

Buenos Necas

lets go canes
Jul 18, 2009
Raleigh, NC
So top 6 for next season:

Tlusty-Staal-Semin
Ruutu-Staal-Lindholm

Looks like Lindhom could get PK time, one of the guys who "takes pride in killing penalties" that Muller wanted.

tomdundo

Sep 11, 2011
Raleigh
Sorry, but not everyone is going to agree with the excitement about this pick. He's already been projected by some here, to be an elite #1 center in the NHL. Seriously? Compared to Nic Backstrom, because Backstrom put up so-so numbers in Byrnas, etc.

Or, you know...compared to Backstrom by the posters here because the scouts that watch him have thrown out similar comparisons.

vwg*

Nov 16, 2005
Krasnoyarsk

Wait, so you mean the people complaining about him not being able to come over were ignorant of the SEL-NHL transfer agreement? No way!

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB

I would've preferred Nichushkin, but to me, this pick is 1B as opposed to 1A. It's not like we gave up Nino for a 3rd line grinder, or a future Vezina winner to reach for a smurf.

Nichushkin would've filled a valuable need (Elite skill, power forward on the wing)

But Lindholm also fills a need (legitimate 3rd line center, maybe play wing on 2nd line)

Lindholm might not be as flashy, but he also could wind up being just as good, if not better and is, for lack of a better term, the "Safer Pick"

Pellegrino

Oct 30, 2007
Sweden
Btw funny so many talk of him as a pure center considering he almost only played on the wing in SEL last season.

Novacane

Jan 25, 2012
Raleigh, NC
Michael Smith ‏@MSmithCanes 52s

Rutherford: "This is a player who will have a chance to play with us next year." Notes he's a natural C but could play RW.

Buenos Necas

lets go canes
Jul 18, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Chip Alexander ‏@ice_chip 1m
Rutherford says Lindholm has an out in contract with Brynas, if he makes Canes roster. Canes would not have to buy out final year.

I'm gonna go ahead and say he's a lock for the roster :laugh:

nik-

Sep 13, 2004
As a Flames fan I'm pretty jealous. You guys got a great one.

icing

Jun 22, 2003
Sweden

How would you compare a prospect if not to another prospect at that same age? Backstrom put up really good numbers in Brynas. Lindholms numbers are even better. Not saying he's a sure thing to become Backstrom or better but all we got is what he has done so far, and that is impressive. And if we add his playing style, skills etc to that, well - he's got all the tools needed to become a real impact in the NHL.

Wild Caniac

@WildCaniac
Jan 23, 2013
NC
Overall I hated the pick. I was left sad. However, most of you guys have made me feel better about it. I think it just had a lot to do with Jones being so close. Maybe we get Bowey at 35?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad