Confirmed with Link: Carolina Hurricanes Sale - He Dundon it.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
His comment about his approach to free agency is going to upset a few. Basically said he'll make a move and spend money on players if the team is ready to win. Not just squeak into the playoffs, but be a competitive team that has a chance to win. Pretty much the same approach under Francis.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hulkacaniac

You MUST
Jun 4, 2015
NC
The confirmations are disappointing to hear. I still think it's different from say, melnyk or PK, in that he's cheap due to financial problems. He really believes he can get the same result whether he spends less money or shells out for big names from the old boys club. And in his business mind, why spend more money if you can get the same result for less? So yeah, moneyball, hopefully it'll work.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I'm just confused as to why he's even attempting it. He's got to have heard from lots of people, both inside and outside the organization, that it's a bad idea to shortchange your two most important positions within the organization.

So he's either got such an ego that he believes he knows better than them (despite admitting he knows nothing about hockey and owning a team), or he's intentionally making a shitty decision for reasons unknown.

Either way, it baffles the mind.

Hulkacaniac

You MUST
Jun 4, 2015
NC
I'm just confused as to why he's even attempting it. He's got to have heard from lots of people, both inside and outside the organization, that it's a bad idea to shortchange your two most important positions within the organization.

So he's either got such an ego that he believes he knows better than them (despite admitting he knows nothing about hockey and owning a team), or he's intentionally making a ****ty decision for reasons unknown.

It's like Waddell says, he's a successful businessman. Obviously being a rich businessman makes you qualified to to make all kinds of decisions.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
It's like Waddell says, he's a successful businessman. Obviously being a rich businessman makes you qualified to to make all kinds of decisions.

It’s funny, because even Waddell apparently has no interest in the GM role at whatever salary Dundon is offering. It’s one thing when you claim you’re going to try and find “diamonds in the rough” under the idea that people will accept less for a coveted position. But when a former GM won’t take the position (assumingly because of the salary), that should send up red flags that your idea is a poor one.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.

So he's either got such an ego that he believes he knows better than them (despite admitting he knows nothing about hockey and owning a team), or he's intentionally making a ****ty decision for reasons unknown.

He knows nothing about hockey. He knows a hell of a lot about management and organizations. Making the decisions about players and systems requires substantial expertise in the sport. Setting up a functional management structure requires absolutely zero knowledge of hockey. Most NHL teams are run with very strict hierarchies simply because that's the way it's been done. That's not what's considered best practice in any other business these days. Most NHL teams hire former players with no education or experience in any sort of business structure to run the business side, so they go with strict hierarchies because that's the way it's been done and that's the way they've been taught.

I'm nervous about the cost cutting, but it's pretty obvious that Dundon's biggest project is to flatten the organizational structure, build systems, and increase collaboration in the front office. It's a major cultural and structural shift for an NHL team. It's also just an update to what most businesses discovered 20 years ago.

Novacane

Jan 25, 2012
Raleigh, NC
It’s funny, because even Waddell apparently has no interest in the GM role at whatever salary Dundon is offering. It’s one thing when you claim you’re going to try and find “diamonds in the rough” under the idea that people will accept less for a coveted position. But when a former GM won’t take the position (assumingly because of the salary), that should send up red flags that your idea is a poor one.
In his case, I'd say it's highly likely he's not interested at all in the added responsibility. He's got a cushy job that can't be actively analyzed with wins and losses. He's taking on the odds and ends and is probably one of Tom's "favorite" employees right now. Why mess with a good thing and add unnecessary stress in your life if you've passed that stage of your career?

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
thumb.jpg
thumb.jpg

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
For a second after the team was sold to a billionaire, I actually thought....”we’re gonna finally know what it’s like to be a normal team”.

Sucker.

Show em all Tom. Now we’re starting to get the full effect of the guy who had them make him a jersey with a number ☝️ on the back.

Canes gonna find a way to Cane, Dundon is surely embracing the Canes way.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
That’s the thing about buying the least valuable team in the sport. They’ll take any asshole with the money to do it. It’s already the least valuable team by a mile so theirs no danger in making it less valuable.

When this team is drawing 4,000 a night, half comped tickets, it’s going to be more embarrassing than playing in a mall ever was. And f*** me I didn’t think that was possible.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I'm still not worried until I see who we hire and what moves we make. What's the point? And worst case, maybe Ronnie's plan will come through well enough that even the interesting moves that are being made won't matter.

I'm definitely already more entertained than I've been for some time with this franchise.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
So I actually listened to the interview, and I can say I agree with what was said earlier that at least he has thought out reasons for doing what he wants. He honestly believes there are more than 31 people out there that can do the jobs, that it’s an honor and that someone is going to come in at his price and do a good job. He also said if it fails he may rethink it.

The problem is he’s already being turned down by the best up and comers. We know he’ll find someone to do the job. I don’t like that it’s more about finding them at the right price vs finding the right person. If you met the right guy and he wanted slightly more you gotta give him the job.

Also scary is that he clearly is tying spending to revenues. He won’t spend money we aren’t making back. He won’t spend first. First thing out of his mouth when asked why he’s being cheap about GM/coaches is revenues. We don’t make enough to spend on things, and non traditional markets don’t make money when they lose. We have to be good for him to spend which means he’s not going to spend us out of our problems. Not by one penny. There’s no Tavares coming. Ironically, it’s the Francis plan imo. Gonna have to build a good team from the ground up, and find someone who “inspires” the players to just be better instead of just hiring better players.

No deadline acquisitions unless we can win the whole thing. He said it in plain English, no money spent on a team squeeking into the playoffs. RF has been vindicated for his deadline moves with this interview. This guy wasn’t going to give a penny for this team this season. Kane and Mrazek were never gonna happen. Even if RF wanted it TD would’ve told him to pound sand.

He’s not impressed with this team. That’s the best thing that’s comes with this interview. He’s gonna want changes. That part’s good. He wants us in the playoffs. That concept is also good, though if it involves trading away our budding depth I won’t be a fan. Sounds like if it costs a lot of money to do that, even that won’t happen. That’s the interesting part to me. He won’t spend until we’re worth it, but we need to spend to be better team with better players. Something has to give there.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad