Confirmed with Link: Carolina Hurricanes Sale - He Dundon it.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I know the arguments against it. I am not saying it’s a certainty, a plan, anything like that ..... but isn’t all this stuff just off ?

I'm not sure what to think. I do think this is odd, but I'm going to withhold judgement until I see what actually happens between now and the start of next season. Right now it's a lot of talk and speculation and I remember most people thought what Vegas was doing was odd this past offseason as well. Granted, there's more at stake here, but we'll have to wait and see.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
What do you guys think happens if the Canes go in the tank for a year or two? Because I have an idea - and I think Dundon does too. There’s something not quite right with this whole scenario.

Pretty sure the end result was the plot for Major League. Now where's Wesley Snipes, Charlie Sheen, and Tom Berenger when we need them?

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Does the performance of the team have anything to do with the 7-year non-relocation clause he signed when he bought it? If he’s locked in and looking to relocate in 7 years then it seems more likely that he’d try to build a decent team in the mean-time.

Although I suppose he has his 3-year out-clause that was mentioned. He could conceivably enact whatever he sees fit, FUBAR the team, and then hand it back to Karmanos is 2 years? Not maliciously, just in a YOLO sense.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
I now feel more meh than before and didn't think that was possible. PK was like being married for 20+ yrs only being intimate in the missionary position then Tom comes in as your next spouse and whips out the Kamasutra.

....a little disorienting....not idea what to expect next but at least it's not missionary again.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
May I present an alternative theory that isn't rooted in a nefarious motive, but is just as cynical, speculative and potentially imaginary?

Perhaps Dundon is an owner in over his head. He paid a lot of money for a franchise that has only been profitable recently when near the bottom in terms of payroll. The Canes have some good young talent, but it’s starting to get more and more expensive as the young guys come off their ELCs (Slavin, Pesce, Hanifin and coming soon, Aho) and the older players get closer and closer to their UFA years (Skinner, Faulk, Lindholm,Teravainen.) Dundon is now on the hook for what will be an increasingly expensive team that isn’t good enough to guarantee playoff revenue; he’s staring down the barrel of millions of dollars in losses to go along with the toll the actual purchase had on his finances. What to do? Cut costs, obviously. Given that players win hockey games and cost-cutting the roster would send a horrible signal to the fanbase at this point, go cheap with management. The biggest individual drivers of management cost? The GM and the HC.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
So the coach will be Brindy, no doubt making the salary commensurate to an an assistant head coach.

The GM will be whomever will take money commensurate to an assistant GM's salary, which is to say, no one, just a council of equals that in any other org would all answer to a guy making 1.5 -2 mil with the title, "GM".

The leaks/media fiascos will continue until Francis and JR tearfully reunite in a gorgeous ceremony presented by preeminent Pittsburgh party and event planners. Save the date!

Join TD and his quest to find new and exciting ways to save money on a professional sports team. #QuestfortheTaxWriteoff

Here's my speculation: it was always Tom Dundon's plan to run a ramshackle org, he just allowed the media frenzy about "billionaire savior of franchise will make canes great again" to spiral out of control. His justifications for cost cutting are too well thought out. Pure used car salesman.

Last edited:

vorbis

bunch of likes
Feb 9, 2013
YTZ
I was disheartened by Dundon's latest interview, but he did take the opportunity to distinguish between the salary situation for Coach/GM vs how it works with players. there's 31 Coach jobs and 31 GM jobs, and he thinks he can find value in taking a different approach to filling those roles, but as he said, it's not the same with players. the competition is different, and the value is different. so I don't think him wanting to find candidates at a different salary echelon for coach and GM necessarily means he has these same kinds of big ideas about how much the roster salary number is going to be.

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
What do you guys think happens if the Canes go in the tank for a year or two? Because I have an idea - and I think Dundon does too. There’s something not quite right with this whole scenario.

clzty1tgf8glzas62fq6fyphr.png

He seems to be interested a bit too much in Whalers merchandise. I mean, it's good that he's trying to honor the lineage of the Hurricanes, but unless his idea to deal with terrible attendance is having one or two home games in Hartford each season, I can't shake my suspicions.

Besides, I want a hockey team in Houston, and that should be where the Coyotes relocate.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
I don't think I could handle a 3-4 year tank job. It would be one thing if we were a recent playoff team but thats not the case.

I mean, it's not like this franchise is that far off like Buffalo or Arizona is. We have arguably the best prospect pool we've ever had, we have a blue-line that has its brainfarts but is at least competent. Aho/TT are good pieces. Skinner/Faulk should we move on from them should net a decent return.

The time to tank was 2014/15 and 15/16 for that matter. Thats over now, a multi-year tank job is the worst thing they can do right now especially if we're trying to get the younger guys to accept a winning mindset. And lets not kid ourselves, a tank job that long will do nothing to win fans over, it will be a disaster.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad