Post-Game Talk: Carolina Hurricanes at New York Rangers 12/1/2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Torts didn't like the makeup of the team. He made that pretty clear pretty much the day he was hired. The only guys he really did like were Lundqvist, Staal, Girardi, Dubinsky, Callahan and maybe Drury. No. 1 on his hate list was Avery but it took him a couple-three years to get rid of Sean. Remember him going to the AHL for a spell though. I don't remember whether Naslund decided to forgo his final year of his contract before or after the Zherdev arbitration--that could have affected the Rangers decision on Nikolai too......but really Torts wanted to remake the team his way and had a certain amount of carte blanche and Zherdev would not have been a good fit. That might have factored into the Rangers decision not to sign him too. Back to Naslund--things were tight as far as cap--we had Drury, Gomez, Redden and Rozsival back then having signed big free agent deals and they were the contracts that in the next couple years the team tried to get rid of. Naslund's leaving gave us some relief for at least one year.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Regarding Nieves and his net presence, he's never really had that. And his shot is good enough to score 10-15 goals but he's one of the most pass-first players I've ever seen. He's pass first, pass second and pass third. He was like that at Michigan as well, though less so when he played the wing.

Reactions: Inferno

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
I like how they are playing, for the most part. They still make the same mistakes that we have seen for a while now, but they look more structured and balanced. I really think Nieves is a good part of that. Young fresh guy with legs who has been with the org for a while and he puts in some good work. Team looks to be getting more persistent.

Am I happy with the record? Hell nah because we should not have went down with 8 or 9 L's that early. But lately they seem like a better team than we might have thought after that. If the team learns how to pick one another up so to speak, they will enjoy more success

Reactions: YearOfTheCat

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
Would have to let Nash walk, let Grabner walk, trade Staal (plus pick(s)) for prospect. Trade Smith for a 2nd.

Kreider Zib Buch
Hayes Chytil Zucc
Miller Andersson (Trade)
Vesey Nieves Fast
Lettieri

McDonagh Karlsson
Skjei Shattenkirk
Graves DeAngelo/Pionk
Holden
You lost me at 'let Grabner walk'.

I still believe in Smith and Staal hasn't been bad this year so far.

:)

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
Big lol, I just checked Grabner is FOURTH OVERALL ALL TIME with 6 empty net goals in a season only 26 games in. Bure had 9 in 00’, Tkachuk 8 in 97’, Mario 7 in 89’.
I'm a Grabner fan. No complaints about him from me at all whatsoever.

Brett Cyrgalis' headline was that it was an ugly win. No such thing. A win is a win is a win. Looking for a work of art at this point of the season is a fool's game. Stuff it, Brett.

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
I agree with Cyrgalis. It was a pretty choppy game for the most part.

The advanced stats people love Boo. He's a possession guy.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Regarding Nieves and his net presence, he's never really had that. And his shot is good enough to score 10-15 goals but he's one of the most pass-first players I've ever seen. He's pass first, pass second and pass third. He was like that at Michigan as well, though less so when he played the wing.

And he has the elements in size and speed that can't be taught.

Nieves needs some coaching to be a more well rounded and dependable bottom 6 player. But he is still relatively new to pro hockey so he has plenty of time. It took a lot of 4 year college players multiple NHL seasons to full adjust their game.

Reactions: eco's bones

Embryo

LGR Check out my music.
Oct 7, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
www.youtube.com
Me too. There was no way we should have lost that game because we dominated. We should be on a 6 game winning streak right now.
Yep. Looking at the standings we should be top 3 in the division. If we end up missing the playoffs or get stuck in a wild card spot by 2 points, I'm going to remember that game and it's going to bring my piss to a boil.

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
So much for Grabner being a fluke last season

Thanks again to LV for passing on him even though we could use Lindberg right now. Rather have Grabs without a second thought.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
I just don't see much with Nieves. His defense leaves something to be desired for a 4th line player, and I don't see much offense from him. He's a big, fast player but aside from that..meh.

I definitely don't see any sort of 10-15 goal output from him ever. Aside from that first game, he's got 1 assist in the last 11 games (an EN assist).

Siddi

Rangers Masochist
Mar 8, 2013
Global
Big lol, I just checked Grabner is FOURTH OVERALL ALL TIME with 6 empty net goals in a season only 26 games in. Bure had 9 in 00’, Tkachuk 8 in 97’, Mario 7 in 89’.

Did you have Luigi's numbers as well?

:sarcasm:

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
Not between the ears - he was a pretty smart player but he didn't have heart or determination to play the right way all the time. He went back to the KHL but couldn't do anything of notice there either (could not even stick with any team) having a documented alcohol issues among others. A shame really given how legitimately talented he was.

For me, heart and determination are part of what's missing between the ears. I didn't mean to insinuate the guy is dumb, or anything, just that he never put it all together mentally despite how talented he was.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad