Post-Game Talk: Carolina Hurricanes at New York Rangers 12/1/2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Anyway, have a good weekend, 2 pts. this morning, and I hope to see u all on tuesday! )
AV interview about the game.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Oh please. In regard to his NHL career and the skill set he was given, he was a massive letdown.

I didn't say he wasn't a let down. He seemed like the classic really skilled player that couldn't stop trying to show everyone how skilled he was instead of learning how to apply his skills more effectively. Having sick dangles and a sniper shot in the NHL just means you're going to get the puck taken away from you a lot if you keep trying to dangle everyone on the ice.

When I say he wasn't a Torts kind of player that's part of what I'm talking about. They didn't mesh well but Zherdev also also didn't quite seem to have that buckle down and play NA hockey kind of mindset

Reactions: ReggieDunlop68

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
Oh, my God, I'd LOVE to get Karlsson here. I already have a major crush on that guy.
Would have to let Nash walk, let Grabner walk, trade Staal (plus pick(s)) for prospect. Trade Smith for a 2nd.

Kreider Zib Buch
Hayes Chytil Zucc
Miller Andersson (Trade)
Vesey Nieves Fast
Lettieri

McDonagh Karlsson
Skjei Shattenkirk
Graves DeAngelo/Pionk
Holden

Reactions: YearOfTheCat

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
It brings up, for me at least, a question I have always asked. Where is the effort by the NHL to provide some quality control/assurance? They have the tools they need, yet they show no consistency. Obviously, I'm not referring to the hard to decipher, fast moving blurry play interpretations. I do not just accept these blatantly awful calls. Skinner did not look hampered at all on the shot he took in the first place, without any replay. With replay, it only reinforced how completely bad the call was.
It’s pretty much the worst thing about the NHL. The apparent lack of accountability for the officiating. And the (admittedly, dwindling) number of head hunters still in the league.
These are things that can be controlled. But they (apparently) don’t have the will to do it.
Even if they do “grade” the refs, it should be more transparent and more effective.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
He is certainly on pace for another 20+ goal season, but I doubt we can resign him - he will ask for 4 mil $ + - hopefully Gorton can get another 1st for him.
He’s not getting four million. Maybe 3x3 somewhere. Four million is what young building block types get.

Ori

Nov 7, 2014
Norway
He’s not getting four million. Maybe 3x3 somewhere. Four million is what young building block types get.
Yeah, it`s a good discussion, but a contract usually value and reflect in overall production, but a 3 mil $ Grabner is very tempting and that is with a discount as well.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Oh and a comment on Boo, I really like his speed and forechecking and he's responsible defensively. But is it just me or does he have some pretty weak offensive instincts and abilities near the net? I figure that's why he'll be a bottom sixer, I guess if he had more finishing ability and better offensive instincts with his size and skating he'd be more than that but I guess those are just his limitations. Still love him as a 4c he's like a perfect 4c for today's NHL.
He’s 23 and in his first season in he NHL. Let’s not close the book on him just yet.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Yeah, it`s a good discussion, but a contract usually value and reflect in overall production, but a 3 mil $ Grabner is very tempting and that is with a discount as well.
My belief is that teams sort of allocate certain amounts of money to each role. So first liners get like 6-7 million. Second liners 3-4. Etc. I think most teams would see Grabner as a third Line value. If a particular team had a bigger role in mind for him, sure, they might give him more. But if I were the rangers I’d offer him whatever their ‘third line’ pay grade is. Of course for a one year deal they might have a little more for him. But I guess he wants a little more security. But, indeed, it’s subjective.

Reactions: Ori

Ori

Nov 7, 2014
Norway
I agree with your content @egelband and a good read. I`m in trade forum section, and I`m curious why Ottawa won`t pay Erik Karlsson - he is their franhise player.. :)

And if we can`t fit Grabner within our cap due to cap reasons - he will return a nice draft pick for us for sure. Gorton need to be on his toes here. His value is certainly a 1st pick at the moment a 3 goal champ this morning. ;)

Anyway I`m not worried about our future - Grabner was a great signing for us earlier.

Reactions: egelband

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
I didn't say he wasn't a let down. He seemed like the classic really skilled player that couldn't stop trying to show everyone how skilled he was instead of learning how to apply his skills more effectively. Having sick dangles and a sniper shot in the NHL just means you're going to get the puck taken away from you a lot if you keep trying to dangle everyone on the ice.

When I say he wasn't a Torts kind of player that's part of what I'm talking about. They didn't mesh well but Zherdev also also didn't quite seem to have that buckle down and play NA hockey kind of mindset

Oh yes. I agree. He’s the type of player who would drive Torts f***ing nuts.

I guess I amalgamated a few of the previous posts in my mind , but I only replied to yours.

I meant in general he just oozed talent, but overall he was a massive let down.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Zherdev took the team to arbitration. That left a sour note.
When you had Gomez, Drury and Redden on the team making alot more money than you, even though they played worse hockey than you, I think the sour note is on Zherdev's behalf.
$ather created this bowl of sour notes all by himself, by signing a trio to albatross contracts, to set the retirement home standard right back on the crest.

It's pretty weird Zherdev gets criticized by the playoffs. The entire team played like they played the entire season: like shit. It was one of those seasons where Hank refused anything but the playoffs. And then they got shelled when they reached it. Dreary scored ONE goal in 6 games in the playoffs. But he didn't get thrown off the bus, because he was the captain and was already signed for a babillion dollars, for years more to completely suck.

Last edited:

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
Zherdev had a lot of flashes but he was missing what you need between the ears to be a consistently good hockey player. The truth is that he disappointed wherever he was.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Zherdev had a lot of flashes but he was missing what you need between the ears to be a consistently good hockey player. The truth is that he disappointed wherever he was.

Not between the ears - he was a pretty smart player but he didn't have heart or determination to play the right way all the time. He went back to the KHL but couldn't do anything of notice there either (could not even stick with any team) having a documented alcohol issues among others. A shame really given how legitimately talented he was.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad