Post-Game Talk: Carolina Hurricanes at New York Rangers 12/1/2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
He didn't have a great playoff but I feel like his reputation doomed him. And as I said being poor in the playoffs didn't help.

Zherdev was really good in the first half of the season and kind of disappeared in the second and was a no show in the playoffs and then he wanted a lot of money keeping in mind that the cap was a lot lower then. I thought the Rangers made the right call on him--he went on to other teams including the Flyers and wasn't really that impressive. Lots of talent--but he wasted it--things went steadily downhill for him after his season with the Rangers. We could have been stuck with a big contract for a guy who would have crapped out on us.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Anyway I'd sign Grabner tomorrow. Great value. He fits this team like a glove and IMO I like him even better than I liked Hagelin and I liked Hagelin a whole lot.

Henrik--a lousy goal he gave up but he was really good after that. Thought the D played pretty well--Skjei and McDonagh especially. Nice to see the 4th liners get some points.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
Regarding Zherdev, look at these highlights. I think there may be one forwarded as talented as him on our roster now in Buchnevich, maybe Zibanejad and Nash (definitely Nash of a few years ago). Zherdev gave me possibly the best memory at MSG, that last goal that he scored in that video against the Pens was a game I went to. Now that I think of it, it's probably that neanderthal Torts that ran him out of town.

Zherdev might be the most skilled forward we've had since Jagr, but he wasn't going to last with Torts.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
I have a feeling that the allure of NYC can be enough to get him here with him leaving a couple of mills on the table. The Rangers have a young and exciting core and with him on defence Rangers would arguably have the best D in the league.
Yeah, I mean I can see the argument for why he'd want to come here. However, that story that came out today he literally said that if he hits the open market he's going to get every penny he's worth.

Damn. Sucked I missed this one. Awesome job Grabs on Hat Trick. Have to bring him back next season. Last year was not a fluke.

Grabner is just a perfect fit in our system with his speed.

Reactions: ZiGOODejad

ZiGOODejad

intangibles
Nov 30, 2013
Yeah, I mean I can see the argument for why he'd want to come here. However, that story that came out today he literally said that if he hits the open market he's going to get every penny he's worth.

Grabner is just a perfect fit in our system with his speed.
I wouldn't blame him either guys like that make my off season fun trying to guess where they'd end up

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Oh and a comment on Boo, I really like his speed and forechecking and he's responsible defensively. But is it just me or does he have some pretty weak offensive instincts and abilities near the net? I figure that's why he'll be a bottom sixer, I guess if he had more finishing ability and better offensive instincts with his size and skating he'd be more than that but I guess those are just his limitations. Still love him as a 4c he's like a perfect 4c for today's NHL.

trilobyte

Regulated User
Dec 9, 2008
RangersTown
I would never write off the possibility of E.K. coming to the Rangers. It
he also put Boo out there with the empty net rewarding him with some ice time.
AV can do that kind of thing. I remember when he gave Skjei valuable high priority minutes at end of game a couple of seasons ago.
I have liked what I have seen from Nieves.

Reactions: bl02

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Zherdev never felt like a Ranger to me.

Probably because he wasn't a Torts kind of player and he didn't last all that long (2 seasons I think?)

I wouldn't say he was lazy but he was that kind of player that'd keep trying to make the same high risk plays over and over and infuriate the coaches.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
J.T wired up.. Is he always this funny in Rangers practice? :)

Last edited:

trilobyte

Regulated User
Dec 9, 2008
RangersTown
Zherdev was really good in the first half of the season and kind of disappeared in the second and was a no show in the playoffs and then he wanted a lot of money keeping in mind that the cap was a lot lower then. I thought the Rangers made the right call on him--he went on to other teams including the Flyers and wasn't really that impressive. Lots of talent--but he wasted it--things went steadily downhill for him after his season with the Rangers. We could have been stuck with a big contract for a guy who would have crapped out on us.
I needed that kind of update. For some reason, though I remembered the jolt of excitement and the highlights, I would have had to go researching the rest of it.

Siddi

Rangers Masochist
Mar 8, 2013
Global

Yeah, I read that too but I honestly believe that Rangers can grab him for 10-12 AAV if we give him max years.

The more I think about the more I am convinced that this will happen. It is such a great fit for both parties.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I needed that kind of update. For some reason, though I remembered the jolt of excitement and the highlights, I would have had to go researching the rest of it.

He started out the season with Dubinsky as his center and Voros on the left wing. Two weeks into the season and they were about the hottest thing going and then Voros remembered that he really did suck--that he wasn't supposed to score. If I remember Torts replaced Renney towards the end but by that time Zherdev had been shooting blanks for a while. I agree that Torts wasn't going to be a good coach for him but he was slumping big time anyway. There were a lot of guys off that team that Torts wasn't going to like--Avery comes first to mind but I think Naslund was another so I don't think Torts set out with the mindset of blaming everything going wrong on Zherdev. He'd already made some nasty remarks about Avery that very same season before the Rangers hired him. I think Sean was the guy he hated the most.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
Probably because he wasn't a Torts kind of player and he didn't last all that long (2 seasons I think?)

I wouldn't say he was lazy but he was that kind of player that'd keep trying to make the same high risk plays over and over and infuriate the coaches.

Oh please. In regard to his NHL career and the skill set he was given, he was a massive letdown.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad