Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Yes. Year 3 at least of this.

oppressionoppression-everywhere-0blvyr.jpg

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
So then you are likely to admit that all these posts over years don't seem connected or part of some psychotic grassroots effort to raise their perception somehow.
I never made that accusation, either. How about your respond to the text I actually put in my post rather than building a strawman.

So then they are likely to just simply be the opinions of different people who came to similar conclusions at different times independent of each other....

So then why the beef? There have to be at least 45 million dumber things posted here over the years
You know it's possible to point out a pattern without accusing someone of being dumb, right? It's also possible to point out that whatever underlying logic continues to motivate these posts may be flawed, even if it comes from different sources. I was mostly posting for the amusement of myself and others who have noticed this thread pop up on an annual basis.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
The topic gets created every year, and it's usually created by a non-Canes fan (or one who doesn't hang out on the boards, at least). And usually, Canes fans will respond with how they've responded in this topic: With self-deprication and doubt.

Because we know better than anyone else how the Canes will usually let you down.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
I never made that accusation, either. How about your respond to the text I actually put in my post rather than building a strawman

That's not a strawman. A strawman is a logical fallacy. My statement was extending your admission further to understand that the context of such threads, that they're come by honestly.

You know it's possible to point out a pattern without accusing someone of being dumb, right? It's also possible to point out that whatever underlying logic continues to motivate these posts may be flawed, even if it comes from different sources. I was mostly posting for the amusement of myself and others who have noticed this thread pop up on an annual basis.

I didn't say you called anybody dumb (which BTW, you are the one now creating an actual strawman here)

What I am pointing out is the pointlessness of saying "this thread has been done before" when the totality of such threads has ultimately nothing in common, in terms of who started them, and therefore your words aren't likely to deter further threads from being started in the future.

and that's all besides the point of the aforementioned 45 million dumber things that have been posted here in the meantime.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
That's not a strawman. A strawman is a logical fallacy. My statement was extending your admission further to understand that the context of such threads, that they're come by honestly.
And I'm not accusing them of happening dishonestly or non-organically. I made a comment that this thread has continued happening, and by in large the response here was been "well they weren't created by Canes fans!!!" which is something that I never said. That's a strawman.

I didn't say you called anybody dumb (which BTW, you are the one now creating an actual strawman here)
"There have to be at least 45 million dumber things posted here over the years"

What I am pointing out is the pointlessness of saying "this thread has been done before" when the totality of such threads has ultimately nothing in common, in terms of who started them, and therefore your words aren't likely to deter further threads from being started in the future.

and that's all besides the point of the aforementioned 45 million dumber things that have been posted here in the meantime.
I've already elucidated the point of my post (for the amusement of myself and others who have made the same observation).

t0nedeff

Jun 29, 2010
They don't have enough offensive depth to do anything in my opinion. Is Aho still projected to be a center this year? If so thats gonna fail as bad as when the Oilers tried to make Hall play center.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
The credibility of the concept itself.

That being said, I've bought into the concept in the past and can buy into it again. Let's see if they finally get some good goaltending and if Zykov really has arrived at the NHL level.

It's a concept that the majority of our fan base doesn't buy into, so it has little credibility to begin with. We do a poll at the start of every season and for the past 4 seasons (at least), the vast majority of Canes fans think the team won't make the playoffs, and even the ones that do think they'll be a bubble team.

It's great that some fans from other teams think we might be good, but it's not a universal concept among us fans.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Multiquote doesn't function on my phone so @tarheelhockey @Boom Boom Apathy...

I overestimated how static your roster had been under Francis.

Anyways, rebuilds -or whatever you guys classify your teams direction as- when they succeed, do so immediately, generally with significant contributions from ELC players. You guys added a couple more, so, we'll see. But I think this going to be a defining year for Carolina.

The successful rebuilds/retools -Hawks, Pens, Caps, Kings, Bruins, Lightning, Leafs- all took huge steps forward within 3 seasons. Those that didn't, still haven't, or even regressed. And once all that money is committed to your core, it's tough to fix.

Yes, but every one of those teams lucked into drafting an elite, if not almost generational talent with a top 2-4 picks. Boston is the only exception, although they did get Seguin at #2 and he was part of the cup team, but they were good without him.

Hawks: Kane #1, Toews #2
Pens: MAF #1, Crosby #1, Malkin #2
Caps: Ovi #1
Kings: Doughty #2
Bruins: Seguin #2
Lightning: Stamkos #1, Hedman #2
Leafs: Matthews #1, Marner #4.

Canes problem is that they've always been good enough not to draft that high so they have a bunch of picks in the 5-8 range, but Svech. is their first pick this high in ages. Even he isn't on the level of the guys I listed above.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Yes, but every one of those teams lucked into drafting an elite, if not almost generational talent with a top 2-4 picks. Boston is the only exception, although they did get Seguin at #2 and he was part of the cup team, but they were good without him.

Hawks: Kane #1, Toews #2
Pens: MAF #1, Crosby #1, Malkin #2
Caps: Ovi #1
Kings: Doughty #2
Bruins: Seguin #2
Lightning: Stamkos #1, Hedman #2
Leafs: Matthews #1, Marner #4.

Canes problem is that they've always been good enough not to draft that high so they have a bunch of picks in the 5-8 range, but Svech. is their first pick this high in ages. Even he isn't on the level of the guys I listed above.

This is true, a few missteps in the first round too though. Lindholm over Monahan, Fleury over Nylander/Ehlers, Hanifin over Werenski/Provorov, Bean over McAvoy. Probably would've been better off trading down with the way drafting has been outside the 1st... Faulk, Rask, Slavin, Pesce, Aho.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Can someone describe zykov and compare him to a known player?

Zykov is a step slow and has bottom-6 type skill, but is very effectively at using his size to force his way to the blue paint. He’ll make his living scoring those dirty goals and getting under the skin of opposing goalies. Carolina hasn’t had this type of player in the lineup in a long time.

I like Hornqvist as a comparable. I don’t know if Zykov will ever get to that level, but they’re similar stylistically.

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
Zykov is a step slow and has bottom-6 type skill, but is very effectively at using his size to force his way to the blue paint. He’ll make his living scoring those dirty goals and getting under the skin of opposing goalies. Carolina hasn’t had this type of player in the lineup in a long time.

I like Hornqvist as a comparable. I don’t know if Zykov will ever get to that level, but they’re similar stylistically.
Ugh thats not what i was hoping for. Thanks though ;)

traffic cone

May 12, 2011
They don't have enough offensive depth to do anything in my opinion. Is Aho still projected to be a center this year? If so thats gonna fail as bad as when the Oilers tried to make Hall play center.
Did not know Taylor Hall was drafted as a center.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006

Aho may or may not be successful as a center, but:

1) Aho's played it at times before, including the WJC and recently the IIHF WC where he lead the tournament in goals scored, was 2nd to Kane in points (but with 2 less games played) and led the tournament in +/-.
2) I know it's not something that can be measured, but Aho's hockey IQ is incredible and he thinks the game like a C.
3) He played about 10 games at the end of last season at C and performed fairly well.

His size is a concern in the center position AND he is so valuable as a winger that I'm not sure I want him at C, but there are valid reasons why he "could" be more successful than Hall was in the C position.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Can someone describe zykov and compare him to a known player?

Can't think of a current comparison, late-career Kevin Stevens comes to mind. He plays with a little bit of an edge, will hang around the crease and annoy goalies, be a physical presence without necessarily being a for-real agitator. Sort of a passive-aggressive power forward.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Ahhh.

The yearly "this is the year the Hurricanes are for real" thread.

Can somebody point me to those threads? I did a search for "Hurricanes" and "Carolina" in the title on this forum and there were a couple of pages of threads going back to 2014, but I was unable to find these threads people are referring to? Before I trying other searches, maybe someone can point me to them.

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
wingers and D could be some of best in the nhl...but down the middle and in net, they right near the bottom...hard to win with no Cs and no goalie

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Not sure would i call it a surprise though, maybe its just me.
I predict Hurricanes finish either 6th or 7th and so making it to the play-offs.

Two best teams in the east latter stages of last season were Florida Panthers&Carolina Hurricanes
both by the way would of deserved their spots last season already.

Panthers are going to do big this season, really big and so would Hurricanes if they wouldn't have
big goaltending issues, the only issue that will drop them to 6th-8th.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
wingers and D could be some of best in the nhl...but down the middle and in net, they right near the bottom...hard to win with no Cs and no goalie

???

I agree with the goaltending, but down in the middle? They have enough quality when it comes to centers,
besides, you really can't look in to positions these days, many teams don't have positions locked in,
many players play both center and wing positions, that is with Hurricanes as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad