Carolina Hurricanes are going to surprise many people

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
I've been watching some of their pre season games and I can say that they now have an incredible young offensive group led by a seasoned veteran cup winner.

Already established Aho, Staal and Teravainen are joined by an insanely skilled addition of Svechnikov, Necas and Zykov who have been putting up points in pretty much all of the pre season games.

Their newest acquisition to the defense in Hamilton establishes the Hurricanes defensive crop as pretty solid having top talent in Slavin, TVR and Faulk.

The only questionable position is goalies. It's pretty weak, to be honest, but if Mrazek plays well, the Canes are going to battle for a play off spot.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
TBH, they should offer a first rounder, Nedjo and Fox for Price. TIME IS NOW YO

Their offense is going to be terrible. Relying on that many young guys isn't going to end wekk
What? Aho is an elite guy, the back end is great offensively, they have a lot of talented depth too.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
If Mrazek and/or Darling bounce back, they could easily be a playoff team IMO. They will live and die by their goaltending though.

That said, is Brind'Amour's system conducive to those guys bouncing back? From what I've heard, it is more run and gun and that could result in their goaltenders being hung out to dry more often and when you have two guys with shaky confidence, that could also be very very bad.

Reactions: DaveG

Weast

May 16, 2011
If Mrazek and/or Darling bounce back, they could easily be a playoff team IMO. They will live and die by their goaltending though.

That said, is Brind'Amour's system conducive to those guys bouncing back? From what I've heard, it is more run and gun and that could result in their goaltenders being hung out to dry more often and when you have two guys with shaky confidence, that could also be very very bad.
Yup, if their goaltending is even average I think they make the playoffs.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Yup, if their goaltending is even average I think they make the playoffs.
They might be the most difficult team to predict this year because of that. Similar goaltending to last year, they will be in the hunt for Hughes. It improves a little, they are in a playoff race. It becomes average, they make the playoffs. It becomes good, they could be very dangerous.

As a rebuilding team in my keeper league, I took pretty much all boom or bust players... so naturally I have both Carolina goalies :laugh:

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
TBH, they should offer a first rounder, Nedjo and Fox for Price. TIME IS NOW YO

What? Aho is an elite guy, the back end is great offensively, they have a lot of talented depth too.

Yes and was the first one listed on your established players. How would that prove you guys can do what Marner and Matthews could?

Oilers Propagandist

Relax junior, it’s just a post.
Aug 27, 2016
Edmonton, AB
I've been watching some of their pre season games and I can say that they now have an incredible young offensive group led by a seasoned veteran cup winner.

Already established Aho, Staal and Teravainen are joined by an insanely skilled addition of Svechnikov, Necas and Zykov who have been putting up points in pretty much all of the pre season games.

Their newest acquisition to the defense in Hamilton establishes the Hurricanes defensive crop as pretty solid having top talent in Slavin, TVR and Faulk.

The only questionable position is goalies. It's pretty weak, to be honest, but if Mrazek plays well, the Canes are going to battle for a play off spot.
Are you sure you didn't make this post only because the Canes drafted Svechnikov?

Anyways, I hope they do well. When they get to the playoffs, they seem to almost make it all the way lmao.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Lol, this is not the first time people have predicted the Hurricanes to surprise.

The only strength of the team is defense. Weak offense, goaltending and a first-year head coach. Chances of them succeeding are unlikely, sorry.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Obviously it's hard to say anything from preseason but this looks like a different team with a different mentality. Brind'amour seems like a coach who knows the right buttons to push. Especially with how young the team is, I think Peters adherence to the all-important "system" was stifling and the players forgot to try and win the game because they were too focused on trying to not make any mistakes at all.

Get some average goaltending and they'll be a solid playoff team, and I think Nachos, Svech and Zykov are going to surprise some people with how productive they can be offensively.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad