Rumor: Carolina "hard after" Jonas Brodin

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I don't presume to know Carolina's defensive situation, but wouldn't he play second pairing with Pesce and push Gardiner down to third pairing where he probably should be?

They would have 8 defensemen if they make a trade and don't send one back (or out in a different deal). If a trade were to happen (and I'm not inclined to think Minnesota will trade Brodin for what the Canes would offer, but for argument sake).

LHD: Slavin, Brodin, Gardiner, Edmundson Fleury
RHD: Hamilton, Pesce, TVR

I would assume Edmundson or TVR would be moved in a separate deal?

Reactions: Tryamw

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
They would have 8 defensemen if they make a trade and don't send one back. If a trade were to happen (and I'm not inclined to think Minnesota will trade Brodin for what the Canes would offer, but for argument sake).

My assumption as well.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Lol

Guess they would ship out Gards.

Good luck signing UFA’s.
Why? He's got a contract for four years that no other team in the league would give him - same as CDH. I'm sure he'd thank them for the cash and move on. If the deal for ufa's is "you can sign with the Canes with the chance you may get traded....but they'll give you one more year and probably more money than everyone else..." I doubt they'll have problems moving forward with UFA's.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
They would have 8 defensemen if they make a trade and don't send one back (or out in a different deal). If a trade were to happen (and I'm not inclined to think Minnesota will trade Brodin for what the Canes would offer, but for argument sake).

Well they've got two rentals in Edmunson and TVR, If they acquire Brodin they can take advantage of that at the TDL with preferably Edmunson (keep TVR for being a righty) and still have 7 NHL level dmen ready to go for the playoffs.

batman8990

Jun 17, 2018
They could offer a package that would probably match Brodin's value if Guerin was looking to liquidate him into pretty good futures. My point is that liquidating him into pretty good futures would be dumb when a.) we already have plenty of those, and b.) we have pressing needs elsewhere and precious few pieces available to address them.

A) Yes, Wild has filled up its prospect pool in 2018 and 2019, but they're still lacking good prospects at RW and AAA prospects (only Kaprizov, Boldy and Khochanov could be put in that category). B) Dont forget the expansion draft in 2021. Teams can only protect 3 D and I think Suter, Spurgeon and Dumba will be safe, but not Brodin. I also dont think it'll be wise for the Wild to do a side deal with Seattle like the one they did in 2017 especially when the team is retooling. They can't afford to lose another good prospect like Alex Tuch.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
A) Yes, Wild has filled up its prospect pool in 2018 and 2019, but they're still lacking good prospects at RW and AAA prospects (only Kaprizov, Boldy and Khochanov could be put in that category). B) Dont forget the expansion draft in 2021. Teams can only protect 3 D and I think Suter, Spurgeon and Dumba will be safe, but not Brodin. I also dont think it'll be wise for the Wild to do a side deal with Seattle like the one they did in 2017 especially when the team is retooling. They can't afford to lose another good prospect like Alex Tuch.

Kaprizov and Fiala are both right wings. Zuccarello is a right wing, and so is Kunin. We're not really lacking at right wing.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
What "AAA" prospects is Carolina offering for Brodin?

Brodin doesn't need to be protected in the expansion draft because his contract expires that summer. They could very easily work out a deal beforehand and wait to sign until after the draft. If anything the expansion draft is a reason to hang onto him.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
What "AAA" prospects is Carolina offering for Brodin?

Brodin doesn't need to be protected in the expansion draft because his contract expires that summer. They could very easily work out a deal beforehand and wait to sign until after the draft. If anything the expansion draft is a reason to hang onto him.

I'm not positive that that's how UFA's work in the expansion draft. I could be wrong, but the expansion draft for Vegas was before July 1, which means technically Brodin is under contract still. I think the rule is that you have to expose a certain number of players that are under contract for the following year. I don't think UFA's are completely exempt.

Reactions: wintersej

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I'm not positive that that's how UFA's work in the expansion draft. I could be wrong, but the expansion draft for Vegas was before July 1, which means technically Brodin is under contract still. I think the rule is that you have to expose a certain number of players that are under contract for the following year. I don't think UFA's are completely exempt.
I'd have to look it all up again, but the way I remember it is that UFAs were exempt.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006

I think the way it worked last time is that VGN got to negotiate with UFAs before the draft. You only had to protect 1 defensemen who fit the "games played" and was still under contract.

I "think" if expansion team signs a UFA to be from that team, it counts as their pick from that team? (not sure about that).

EDIT: Found it. UFAs weren't "exempt":
UFAs are treated like any other player on a roster meaning they can be protected as part of the nine or 11 protected players or exposed by their current (for the next 10 days) club. They do not however fulfill the 40/70 rule. This rule requires teams to leave at least one defenseman and two forwards unprotected who have played 40 games the prior season or 70 the past two years.

However, if a UFA is left unprotected in the Expansion Draft, Las Vegas will be granted exclusive rights to negotiate a contract with the player during the three day draft period on June 17-20.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I'd have to look it all up again, but the way I remember it is that UFAs were exempt.
Were that the case, we'd be forced to expose Dumba and Soucy at the very least, and we'd have to sign some defensemen before then because we only have 4 defensemen under contract going into the following season, assuming Soucy signs an extension. And there's a minimum number of defensemen you have to expose.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
More details here, but...
During a normal season, NHL teams are strictly prohibited from speaking to pending UFAs until the league year begins on July 1st. However, if a UFA is left unprotected in the Expansion Draft, Las Vegas will be granted exclusive rights to negotiate a contract with the player during the three day draft period on June 17-20. If Las Vegas comes to an agreement with a player, and a deal is signed, that player is considered Vegas’ selection in the draft from the UFAs current team.

For example, San Jose elects to leave Joe Thornton exposed in the Expansion Draft. Las Vegas will have the opportunity to speak to Thornton from the 17th to the 20th to discuss a contract. If an agreement is reach, and an official deal is signed, Thornton becomes the one player Las Vegas has selected from the Sharks. His 2017-18 contract will be used toward the 60% cap rule, and no other team ever had an opportunity to negotiate with him.

Still making sense? Ok, let’s muddy up the waters with a little gamesmanship that will happen next year.
Let’s keep using Joe Thornton as the example. Since he is under contract with the Sharks until June 30th, 2017, San Jose may negotiate a future contract with him any time between now and the Expansion Draft deadline. Say they come to an agreement, but don’t sign an official deal. The Sharks can leave Thornton unprotected, Vegas will have the chance to offer him a deal, but he may already be unofficially signed in San Jose, allowing the Sharks to protect a different player without the chance of losing Thornton. It’s a risk, but one likely worth taking on a player who can be trusted.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Were that the case, we'd be forced to expose Dumba and Soucy at the very least, and we'd have to sign some defensemen before then because we only have 4 defensemen under contract going into the following season, assuming Soucy signs an extension. And there's a minimum number of defensemen you have to expose.
I mean it's going to be bad regardless and I don't think there's any nifty way to get out of losing a good player to that draft. I just don't think it should be serious consideration for us in a potential Brodin trade.

Blueboy

Apr 15, 2019
I don't presume to know Carolina's defensive situation, but wouldn't he play second pairing with Pesce and push Gardiner down to third pairing where he probably should be?
I mean if you don’t mind 4mil on the 3rd pair for 4 more years, sure.
Why? He's got a contract for four years that no other team in the league would give him - same as CDH. I'm sure he'd thank them for the cash and move on. If the deal for ufa's is "you can sign with the Canes with the chance you may get traded....but they'll give you one more year and probably more money than everyone else..." I doubt they'll have problems moving forward with UFA's.
I think players like to believe they’ll play somewhere a little more than 1 year into a 4 year contract. Of course that can’t be the situation always but it shouldn’t be a regular occurrence imo.

Canes didn’t offer Gards more years or money than everyone else though. He went there because they’re “competitive” and no one outside of Carolina cares about how they play.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I mean it's going to be bad regardless and I don't think there's any nifty way to get out of losing a good player to that draft. I just don't think it should be serious consideration for us in a potential Brodin trade.

Okay well I suppose I stand somewhat corrected.

Like you're saying, I don't think we should be considering the draft right now when looking at moves to make. Make the moves that help the team the most now, and worry about the draft next season.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006

Correct, but UFAs weren't exempt. Neither were RFAs. Of course, I don't think any teams protected UFAs because if they don't sign, you could lose that player and another player you didn't protect. If Vegas had come to agreement with any UFA or RFA during the early negotiating period, it would count as the pick from that team where the UFA/RFA was under contract previously.

Last edited:

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Correct, but UFAs weren't exempt. Neither were RFAs. Of course, I don't think any teams protected UFAs because if they don't sign, you could lose that player and another player you didn't protect.
Right, "exempt" wasn't the right word but they're effectively off to the side of the whole thing because they're not under contract during the draft. The only risk would be Brodin changing his mind and deciding to sign with some other team as a UFA. Him signing with Seattle would actually be better because at least then he'd count as their selection from the Wild.

Reactions: Boom Boom Apathy

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Right, "exempt" wasn't the right word but they're effectively off to the side of the whole thing because they're not under contract during the draft. The only risk would be Brodin changing his mind and deciding to sign with some other team as a UFA. Him signing with Seattle would actually be better because at least then he'd count as their selection from the Wild.

Yes. Agree. We are in synch.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
MIN fans expecting Necas to be traded will be sorely disappointed.

However, I think guys like Suzuki and Rees or closer to NHL prospects like Bean or Gauthier might be available as well as one of the 1sts. A roster D will also have to part of the package for cap so one of TVR/Edmundson/Gardiner would have to go back as well.

Personally, I don’t think they’d trade Suzuki as they seemed really jazzed that they got him at 28OA, but you never know. I’d much rather trade a guy like Gauthier or Bean as a higher end prospect. Will be interesting to see what the end up doing. Sounds like a trade for a 2nd pairing LD is inevitable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad