Rumor: Carolina "hard after" Jonas Brodin

batman8990

Jun 17, 2018
If the package is something like Carolina's 1st + an okay 22 year old AHLer + a 3rd I think it'd be a pretty easy choice to move on.
Carolina is well-equipped to make a good trade offer to the Wild for Brodin. They got 2 first round picks in 2020, a lot of good young forward prospects (Kuokkanen, Luostarinen, Rees, Puistola, Drury, Geekie, Mattheos) and some young D as Fleury and Bean.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
I would ask for Necas and I would do it straight up

Assuming that would be a non-starter for Carolina, I would then ask for 1st+Rees/Suzuki

Assuming that would be a no from Carolina, I would still consider 2nd+Rees/Suzuki depending on what other teams are offering

Suzuki + 2nd is a reasonable ask. I'd expect Brodin with 1 year left to be worth a late 1st + 2nd.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Carolina is well-equipped to make a good trade offer to the Wild for Brodin. They got 2 first round picks in 2020, a lot of good young forward prospects (Kuokkanen, Luostarinen, Rees, Puistola, Drury, Geekie, Mattheos) and some young D as Fleury and Bean.

2 1sts (Tor and Car), 2 2nds (NYR and Car), 2 3rds (BUF and Car).

I can understand why Minn. would want a guy like Necas, but would be shocked to see Carolina move him after seeing what he's doing out there right now. If that means there's no deal, then so be it. I would rather have Necas on his ELC and under team control for 8 years than 1.5 years of Brodin.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
They could offer a package that would probably match Brodin's value if Guerin was looking to liquidate him into pretty good futures. My point is that liquidating him into pretty good futures would be dumb when a.) we already have plenty of those, and b.) we have pressing needs elsewhere and precious few pieces available to address them.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I would be allowing the Canes to talk to Brodin about an extension if Necas was on the table. TOTALLY understand why the Canes wouldn't want to move Necas, and I know Brodin can't actually re-sign until July 1, but if the Canes and Brodin could come to a handshake agreement on an extension, and that would entice their management to let Necas go, that would be a dream.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
is it strange I haven't really heard much about Brodin for like 2+years?.. honestly forgot about the guy

... Canes LOVE dmen

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
They could offer a package that would probably match Brodin's value if Guerin was looking to liquidate him into pretty good futures. My point is that liquidating him into pretty good futures would be dumb when a.) we already have plenty of those, and b.) we have pressing needs elsewhere and precious few pieces available to address them.

If we can acquire a good future that plays center, I would be fine with moving Brodin. As it stands, we have one of those. Can't hurt to have more than one.

batman8990

Jun 17, 2018
I may be misreading the tone then. Looking at what the Hurricanes are likely to be offering I doubt this goes anywhere, personally.
Its not just pure speculation from Russo, Pierre LeBrun also wrote in his last piece about Alec Martinez on The Athletic that the Hurricanes are looking for a good stay-at-home defenseman. I think that should help to add some credibility to the Russo's report.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I would be allowing the Canes to talk to Brodin about an extension if Necas was on the table. TOTALLY understand why the Canes wouldn't want to move Necas, and I know Brodin can't actually re-sign until July 1, but if the Canes and Brodin could come to a handshake agreement on an extension, and that would entice their management to let Necas go, that would be a dream.

Like I said, I'd be shocked if Necas was on the table, particularly for a guy with only 1.5 years left on his deal when Necas is under team control for 8 (including this one).

I know fans like to talk about "handshake" deals, but they really don't happen, or at least are very infrequent. Brodin has an agent who's job it is to make sure of it.

Not to mention the expansion draft coming up where Necas is exempt.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
If we can acquire a good future that plays center, I would be fine with moving Brodin. As it stands, we have one of those. Can't hurt to have more than one.
I think I'm a lot more skeptical of late 1sts/early 2nds that put up good CHL numbers in their D+1 years. Like they're great to have and fun to watch when you draft them, but the chances of either Rees or Suzuki ever being an NHL center are still relatively low. And they'd both be years away.

That's not to rag on them, but if either was the main piece coming back for Brodin? Woof.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Its not just pure speculation from Russo, Pierre LeBrun also wrote in his last piece about Alec Martinez on The Athletic that the Hurricanes are looking for a good stay-at-home defenseman. I think that should help to add some credibility to the Russo's report.

Yeah. If there's any doubt Carolina is in the market for a defenseman, it should be no more.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Like I said, I'd be shocked if Necas was on the table.

I know fans like to talk about "handshake" deals, but they really don't happen, or at least are very infrequent. Brodin has an agent who's job it is to make sure of it.

I don't think the issue would be from Brodin or his agent in this case. He's going to get a contract somewhere regardless of whether that's Minnesota, Carolina, or elsewhere. I think Carolina would have the issue with having to rely on a handshake deal for 5 months before they can sign him to an extension. If Brodin changes his mind it doesn't hurt him at all, it hurts Carolina.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I don't think the issue would be from Brodin or his agent in this case. He's going to get a contract somewhere regardless of whether that's Minnesota, Carolina, or elsewhere. I think Carolina would have the issue with having to rely on a handshake deal for 5 months before they can sign him to an extension. If Brodin changes his mind it doesn't hurt him at all, it hurts Carolina.

Which is why "handshake" deals don't happen. And Brodin and his agent would want to maximize value in a contract, which a "handshake" deal wouldn't.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I'm sure the Hurricanes are interested. Going by the last year or two of reporting Russo's clearly got someone either inside their front office or damn near it.

But being interested in acquiring him doesn't mean they're interested in paying what Guerin should be asking for.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I think I'm a lot more skeptical of late 1sts/early 2nds that put up good CHL numbers in their D+1 years. Like they're great to have and fun to watch when you draft them, but the chances of either Rees or Suzuki ever being an NHL center are still relatively low. And they'd both be years away.

That's not to rag on them, but if either was the main piece coming back for Brodin? Woof.

That's why I'd hope for one of the 1sts with either of them. Carolina has the cash to splash. The 1st is solid insurance if Rees/Suzuki don't actually amount to much.

Of course I totally get the skepticism too, if Brodin really is such a hot commodity, you'd hope the return is a bona fide sure thing.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
Is Jake coming out? What would the pairings look like with Brodin?

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
That's why I'd hope for one of the 1sts with either of them. Carolina has the cash to splash. The 1st is solid insurance if Rees/Suzuki don't actually amount to much.

Of course I totally get the skepticism too, if Brodin really is such a hot commodity, you'd hope the return is a bona fide sure thing.
Moving him for a (late) 1st+ only makes sense to me if Guerin's moving out multiple guys at the deadline to stock up on ammo to use to target a center over the summer. It's not impossible, but it seems unlikely right now.

I think if we end up looking at packages of late 1sts and "good" prospects for Brodin and Zucker we're better off keeping both and selling guys like Donato, Foligno, Pateryn, Hunt, etc. The pieces we get would be incrementally worse and there may be fewer of them, but it probably amounts to the same thing in the long run.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
1st + Gardiner + prospect

Minnesota can trade Gardiner for additional assets (someone will pay for him) and Carolina runs with

Slavin Hamilton
Brodin Pesce

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
1st + Gardiner + prospect.

Minnesota can trade Gardiner for additional assets and Carolina runs with

Slavin Hamilton
Brodin Pesce

As long as the prospect we'd receive is based on the fact that Gardiner has no value in such a deal, sure. I don't generally agree with the idea of acquiring a guy with the idea of trading him, and Gardiner has term left which is not what we'd want. I don't know. Maybe not.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Is Jake coming out? What would the pairings look like with Brodin?

Slavin - Hamilton
Brodin - Pesce
Gardiner - van Riemsdyk/Fleury

Edmundson would probably be moved in a separate deal. The physical element is nice, but cap space is an issue.

Brodin on the 2nd pairing would allow Brind'Amour to go with SlavinPesce against top matchups in the biggest moments (see Game 7 against Washington). Carolina really couldn't do that right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad