LeBrun: Carolina considering a reunion with Eric Staal

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
If Carolina plays the same style as last season I say he's a bad fit unless they have a glaring hole at C. Too slow.

5 vs 5 I think Lazar and Sheahan are better than Staal so far this year.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
I’m asking for a 2nd....

At that price I'd be more interested in someone who has shown success playing wing.

With the center depth Carolina has (Aho, Trocheck, Jordan Staal, Paquette, Lorentz, Geekie, Martinook in a pinch as 4C, Suzuki still in Chicago until the OHL starts up) I don't see the need to acquire a C just to try him at wing.

Just trade for a wing if you want more depth on the wing.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Detroit has got a deal for you.

Marc Staal and Evgeny Svechnikov. Real brother tandem here. All it will take is Jake Bean (lol /s)

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
If Carolina plays the same style as last season I say he's a bad fit unless they have a glaring hole at C. Too slow.

5 vs 5 I think Lazar and Sheahan are better than Staal so far this year.

No real holes at C, if they’re healthy. Trocheck is banged up though and potentially J Staal too. I agree that E Staal likely has lost a step and may struggle to keep up with regular season Canes hockey, but I think he’d fit right in with the Canes and how their style woukd have to adapt to tougher defense in the playoffs. They have struggled the past 2 postseasons to score consistently at 5-5, against Boston specifically. Also, adding another depth C is never a bad idea for a cup run.

I’d actually be interested in expanding a trade with BUF to include one of Montour or Jokiharju along with Staal.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Their cost is seriously different.

understandable, the Canes certainly have the assets to make a lot of different things happen. I don’t really think that they’d actually look to add Montour or Jokiharju, just a thought I had. I think it’d be smart for them to acquire another youngish RD for the playoffs and potentially for next year too.

My Cozen Dylan

Feb 21, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
No real holes at C, if they’re healthy. Trocheck is banged up though and potentially J Staal too. I agree that E Staal likely has lost a step and may struggle to keep up with regular season Canes hockey, but I think he’d fit right in with the Canes and how their style woukd have to adapt to tougher defense in the playoffs. They have struggled the past 2 postseasons to score consistently at 5-5, against Boston specifically. Also, adding another depth C is never a bad idea for a cup run.

I’d actually be interested in expanding a trade with BUF to include one of Montour or Jokiharju along with Staal.
Do you have an LHD you'd be willing to flip for Montour? Or maybe Montour+Staal for an LHD with term? I imagine money would have to come back Buffalo's way regardless.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Do you have an LHD you'd be willing to flip for Montour? Or maybe Montour+Staal for an LHD with term? I imagine money would have to come back Buffalo's way regardless.

Maybe Fleury, but that’s a tough one, as he’s good insulation for the expansion draft.

Reactions: Tryamw

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
I'd be more open to it if Eric was Jordan's younger brother instead of his older one. Jordan is having a monster season and appears to have successfully picked up the leadership mantle from Justin Williams. Given that the lifelong dynamic between the Staal brothers is likely one with Eric in a more dominant position, I'd be leery of upsetting current team chemistry, regardless of what both brothers had to say about it beforehand.

Having said that, The Committee has done a great job to date, so if they do pick up Eric I'll approach it with an open mind. Which reminds me, member when Dundon was going to ruin the franchise by installing a committee instead of going with the traditional NHL hierarchy? I member!

member berries 2.png

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
Carolina can afford to trade some picks right now. It'd be crazy if they were so deep, they could put brock mcginn on the fourth line. Having a solid top 9 forward like mcginn on the fourth would make for some great depth.

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
Can never have too much depth at C. Also, him coming back to CAR certainly adds hype for a playoff run. I think I’d actually play him with Aho and Teravainen at LW.

I can’t wait to see all the inevitable threads “Staal to CAR” where the ask starts with a 1st or Seth Jarvis or Jake Bean...then he ends up getting traded for a 3rd/4th
Uh, Jarvis+ a 1st then add from there:laugh:

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
With such a high profile writer knowing that the Canes have had internal discussions about Eric Staal, this smells like a smokescreen to me. I don't think this is close to happening, despite the "feels" that it brings to a lot of people. The fit doesn't seem good, and the possibility to disrupt chemistry due to the sibling dynamic, makes this just seem to be a bad choice.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
you can put staal anywhere. back in their prime, the Eric staal/jonathan toews/rick nash line was teams canada checking shutdown line

you could easily roll four lines with staal adding offense and possession even from the third or fourth line
Team Canada had one giant first line

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad