LeBrun: Carolina considering a reunion with Eric Staal

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Per Adam Gold (local radio host that does have Canes contacts),

According to Pierre LeBrun of TSN/The Athletic the Hurricanes have interest in bringing Eric Staal back to Raleigh for a stretch run. It’s not something the team is considering for right now, but if he’s still with Buffalo on deadline day, it’s an option. Staal is in the last year of a contract that pays him $3.25 million and is not having a good season with the Sabres -- I know, I know, nobody is. But, the cost of acquiring him would be a mid-round draft pick at the worst, and he could play the wing or center and would be great insurance down the stretch in case of injury.

Gold: Back where it all began. :: WRALSportsFan.com

The "cost" is clearly speculation on his part. The "not something the team is considering now" is probably some insight to the team that he has.

Reactions: DaveG

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
BuT ErIc STaAl iSnT wOrTh AnYtHiNg AnD tHeReS MoRe ThAn OnE tHiRd LiNe CeNtEr AvAiLaBlE!?!11111!11

Adam Gold's speculation is kinda what a lot of fans have said. Mid round pick for him.

Sabres fans have said it's not worth trading him if that's all he would return.

Also, for Carolina, he wouldn't be acquired to play 3rd line C, he'd be a winger.

Reactions: DaveG

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Which ex are we talking about? The hot one that’s kinda crazy or the crazy one that’s kinda hot?

She’s older, has lost much of her pizazz, but she probably likes ya and would really try to make it work. She doesn’t mind that you like watching Aho more, she just wants a place in your lineup.

..that felt weird to write, but seriously- he looks kinda bad for Buffalo but I bet he’d look really solid for a contender. His value likely isn’t much, but I also don’t really wanna see him waste his time and ours going through the motions, so.. Carolina would be cool. Personally I’d want a decent prospect, not sure if that’s possible though.

Mick Jagr

Nice guy, tries hard, loves the game.
Jul 11, 2009
Peterborough, ONT
twitter.com
Adam Gold's speculation is kinda what a lot of fans have said. Mid round pick for him.

Sabres fans have said it's not worth trading him if that's all he would return.

Also, for Carolina, he wouldn't be acquired to play 3rd line C, he'd be a winger.

Oh, I understand completely. I think Staal is going to fetch at least a 2nd + but would not be shocked if he got a last first either. I was simply mocking people on this forum who think picks and prospects are worth the moon.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Oh, I understand completely. I think Staal is going to fetch at least a 2nd + but would not be shocked if he got a last first either. I was simply mocking people on this forum who think picks and prospects are worth the moon.

Ah, sorry. Misunderstood. If the resulting price is "2nd and prospect" or a 1st, I hope Carolina stays far, far away.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
TBH 2nd and B+ level prospect makes perfect sense given what he brings, but the late first would only come into play if multiple teams go into a bidding war.

It doesn't make perfect sense for Carolina IMO. Of course, injuries could change that, but he's not displacing Aho, Trocheck or Jordan Staal as a center. If the cost is that high, I'd be more inclined to spend more for a bigger impact winger than to spend that on Eric. My $0.02

Of course, the team may feel differently.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

Ah, sorry. Misunderstood. If the resulting price is "2nd and prospect" or a 1st, I hope Carolina stays far, far away.

the assumption is buffalo is retaining 50%.

givrn thr limited number of pure sellers and more buyers says demand goes up. Getting a 2ndfor him shoukd pan out.

if buffalo us taking back unwanted salary Thrn the pick likely is a 1st like taking back kerfoot from Toronto.

theyalso could get a strong prospect who is ED exempt instead of a pick.

what comes to mind is the Jagr trade near the end of his career to Boston. It was a 2nd+ contract. The 2nd became a 1st if Boston made conference finals which they did

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
TBH 2nd and B+ level prospect makes perfect sense given what he brings, but the late first would only come into play if multiple teams go into a bidding war.

Does Staal still have his 10 team NTC list? Because he could eliminate just about every single team that would give value for him and therefore any bidding war. See: Jeff Skinner to Buffalo for a 2nd + 3rd.

I think the Canes offer a 4th, Buffalo wants more, and they settle on a 3rd.

Mick Jagr

Nice guy, tries hard, loves the game.
Jul 11, 2009
Peterborough, ONT
twitter.com
Does Staal still have his 10 team NTC list? Because he could eliminate just about every single team that would give value for him and therefore any bidding war. See: Jeff Skinner to Buffalo for a 2nd + 3rd.

I think the Canes offer a 4th, Buffalo wants more, and they settle on a 3rd.

After the trade to Buffalo, Staal hasn't been living with his family. So why not waive for the best chance to win a cup regardless of where it is? At this point in the season with COVID protocol, all hotels are the same.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
After the trade to Buffalo, Staal hasn't been living with his family. So why not waive for the best chance to win a cup regardless of where it is? At this point in the season with COVID protocol, all hotels are the same.

Presumably because he would prefer to chase that Cup with his brother Jordan who is having a career year. Under a coach that he knows well and who he won his last Stanley Cup with. Since he can control where he goes that seems like a plausible scenario.

Personally as a Canes fan I'd rather pay up for Reinhart or Hall.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
the assumption is buffalo is retaining 50%.

givrn thr limited number of pure sellers and more buyers says demand goes up. Getting a 2ndfor him shoukd pan out.

if buffalo us taking back unwanted salary Thrn the pick likely is a 1st like taking back kerfoot from Toronto.

theyalso could get a strong prospect who is ED exempt instead of a pick.

what comes to mind is the Jagr trade near the end of his career to Boston. It was a 2nd+ contract. The 2nd became a 1st if Boston made conference finals which they did

That would help some teams, but in Carolina's case, it's pretty meaningless. Canes are projected to have almost $8M in deadline cap space so retaining 50% doesn't add value in Carolina's case. But, it may make him more marketable to other teams so I do understand that point.

Still, there is no way I'd give give up a 2nd+ or a 1st for Eric Staal though, particularly when the Canes have Aho, Trocheck, Staal, Geekie, Lorentz, Paquette and even Martinook at C. He'd be a 3rd line winger / injury insurance and that's just too much to pay for that IMO. I'd spend that (and even more) elsewhere. But again, injuries could change that and who knows what the team thinks, although Adam Gold is pretty tied into the team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad