LeBrun: Carolina considering a reunion with Eric Staal

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
understandable, the Canes certainly have the assets to make a lot of different things happen. I don’t really think that they’d actually look to add Montour or Jokiharju, just a thought I had. I think it’d be smart for them to acquire another youngish RD for the playoffs and potentially for next year too.
Montour could be a great addition if he rebounds. He looked so promising when he joined the Sabres and then he got sabered...
At his current level you'd probably waive him but usually when you get an ex-Sabre you win the cup.

Staal+Montour for Fleury

Jokiharju is having a down year after the honeymoon season but I don't see why we trade him unless it's for a young player of similar value.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Montour could be a great addition if he rebounds. He looked so promising when he joined the Sabres and then he got sabered...
At his current level you'd probably waive him but usually when you get an ex-Sabre you win the cup.

Staal+Montour for Fleury

Jokiharju is having a down year after the honeymoon season but I don't see why we trade him unless it's for a young player of similar value.
We will have problems with the expansion draft

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013

Staal+Montour for Fleury

I like Montour as an extremely poor man’s Dougie Hamilton. If he were traded and if he played well (lots and lots of IFs), I think he potentially could re-invent himself as a top 4 guy next to Slavin. (I’ll also caveat this as I don’t think the Canes will end up being able to re-sign Hamilton, so it may behoove them to go ahead and line up a maybe replacement for a no risk audition)

Fleury for both Staal and Mountour I’d do without blinking, assuming the Canes were bringing in another defense first RD to play with Bean/Gardiner to replace Fleury.

Edit-then again, that’s a lot of change on an already pretty steady blueline, so not likely to happen

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
I like Montour as an extremely poor man’s Dougie Hamilton. If he were traded and if he played well (lots and lots of IFs), I think he potentially could re-invent himself as a top 4 guy next to Slavin. (I’ll also caveat this as I don’t think the Canes will end up being able to re-sign Hamilton, so it may behoove them to go ahead and line up a maybe replacement for a no risk audition)

Fleury for both Staal and Mountour I’d do without blinking, assuming the Canes were bringing in another defense first RD to play with Bean/Gardiner to replace Fleury.

Where in the lineup is Montour playing in that scenario?

Reactions: Boom Boom Apathy

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
We will have problems with the expansion draft
Skinner because of NMC
Reinhart
Eichel
Ristolainen
Dahlin
Jokiharju
Olofsson
+1

It won't be a huge loss at this point and I could see us trade away a star + Risto and Olofsson.

Our dumb GM will probably trade Sam to keep Hall...

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Skinner because of NMC
Reinhart
Eichel
Ristolainen
Dahlin
Jokiharju
Olofsson
+1

It won't be a huge loss at this point and I could see us trade away a star + Risto and Olofsson.

Our dumb GM will probably trade Sam to keep Hall...
I have no idea what Adams is going to do at all, but while Krueger is still a coach, it doesn't make sense. It would just be weird to trade Staal and Montour for Fleury, and then lose Fleury in the expansion draft a couple of months later.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Where in the lineup is Montour playing in that scenario?

I’d imagine a rotation of Bean/Montour/mystery depth D on the 3rd pair. I’m not very confident Gardiner comes back this year with news it’s his back ailing him again,

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
It's a shame. The Canes made the effort to get Jordan on their squad way back when, but the rest of the team just wasn't good enough for the Staal Brothers Show to last very long. Would be nice if they got another shot.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Besides the fact that I was 100% joking (which should have been clear)... f*** me, I probably take Gardiner for M. Staal and E. Svechnikov.
It was clear. I was also 100% joking.

I’m surprised you’d take Gardiner at his contract and his back problems. He was looking good and skating like the Gardiner of old but he hurt his back again.

Reactions: DaveG

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan

I’m surprised you’d take Gardiner at his contract and his back problems. He was looking good and skating like the Gardiner of old but he hurt his back again.
I mean we would unironically take him if we didn't have Dekeyser already eating cap space. But at the same time we can take a flier on him and try to resuscitate his value and sell him for an actual asset. It's not like we're hurting for cap space, and he can probably just be LTIR or cheaply bought out if things go sideways. Would be a low-risk, high-return move.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012

It's more because Marc Staal and Evgeny Svechnikov roughly equal out the salary, at least for this year, and Gardiner even hurt > Marc Staal.

Basically, I view it as us not giving up a whole lot with those two and if Gardiner flops? Well, we already suck. But on the off chance that he can get remotely healthy, he'd probably be our best non-Seider D. Like, we are unironically running guys like Marc Staal and Alex Biega out there most nights. We also have two D under contract for next year. DDK who is hurt and Stetcher on his second of a two year deal. If there was ever a time to take a risk on a guy like that who used to be a top 4D, nowish seems like a good one.

Frankly, I unironically want this trade now. Staal is washed and I don't think E. Svech is ever going to get a shot to be something.

explore

I was wrong about Don Granato and TNT
Jun 28, 2011
I'm all for trading Staal to the Canes to give him the opportunity to retire with the team where his career started, playing with his brother.

Not really concerned about the price since Staal accepted the trade to Buffalo in the first place, instead of refusing to report. A 2nd would be nice, but a 3rd would do if that's the best they can get

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
Canes have a great 1-2-3 down the middle I’m not sure why they would target another centre. Eric does not seem to work on the wing either

Reactions: Cardiac Jerks

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
It's more because Marc Staal and Evgeny Svechnikov roughly equal out the salary, at least for this year, and Gardiner even hurt > Marc Staal.

Basically, I view it as us not giving up a whole lot with those two and if Gardiner flops? Well, we already suck. But on the off chance that he can get remotely healthy, he'd probably be our best non-Seider D. Like, we are unironically running guys like Marc Staal and Alex Biega out there most nights. We also have two D under contract for next year. DDK who is hurt and Stetcher on his second of a two year deal. If there was ever a time to take a risk on a guy like that who used to be a top 4D, nowish seems like a good one.

Frankly, I unironically want this trade now. Staal is washed and I don't think E. Svech is ever going to get a shot to be something.
As an ex Wings fan (grew up in the U.P.), I don’t think it’s a wise move to take on Gardiner.

MapleLeafs94

So then I said...
Nov 18, 2016
I've only read the first page so maybe it's already been brought up, but an upgrade in the crease seems like a necessity for Carolina. They don't give up much in the defensive zone so I don't think they need to go crazy, but I'd be directing my assests in that area.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
I've only read the first page so maybe it's already been brought up, but an upgrade in the crease seems like a necessity for Carolina. They don't give up much in the defensive zone so I don't think they need to go crazy, but I'd be directing my assests in that area.

Carolina plays a much looser system than given credit for. Last year, they were 23rd in HDCA/60 (Link). This year, it's only up 19th (Link). They are capable of locking a game down (see David Ayres), but the preference is to forecheck aggressively and possess the puck. That's not an easy workload for a goalie game in and game out.

Still, they looked to improve there in the Fall. They were right there with Calgary at the end on Markstrom, notably. A long-term solution would be nice. Mrazek, Reimer and potentially Nedeljkovic will be UFAs. Availability is an issue right now. A Raanta/Ullmark/Rittich isn't a meaningful upgrade. It's Kuemper or bust, probably. In the absence of that, strengthening the roster elsewhere is appropriate.

GoCanes2015

Oct 14, 2017

Ned and Reimer are playing ELITE during this current win streak. Not saying it's sustainable, but it's been more than enough for them. Mrazek is at or near the top as well (small sample size)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad