Post-Game Talk: Carolina at Ottawa

Status
Not open for further replies.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Bottom pair was fine. **** happens.

We should have won this game in a blow-out fashion but 3 posts + Tim Thomas rejuvenated + physicsless puck = lose by 1

Imo, the bottom pair was probably the only real negative tonight. Gryba wasn't bad, but Wier just looked out of his element. Legwand was also less than stellar, especially when he took that penalty on the 4-minute PP.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
I got to say that i hate games like this. Games where you deserve to win, but you just don't due to posts, lucky bounces and amazing goaltending by the opposing team.

Team is playing well. So that is a positive. While this season is a write off at this point, hopefully we can build off of our play into next season.

We just need to learn how to be consistent. I don't want any of this win one lose one win lose one stuff to happen next season as well.

And please for the love of god, fix the powerplay.

Last edited:

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Imo, the bottom pair was probably the only real negative tonight. Gryba wasn't bad, but Wier just looked out of his element. Legwand was also less than stellar, especially when he took that penalty on the 4-minute PP.

2 goals were 100% on Weircioch

We need to trade him ASAP he is just not good enough, smart enough or fast enough

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I also thought the Turris line had a much better game tonight. Chiasson is slowly getting the hang of it I think

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I was at the game tonight & it looked to me like Anderson had another crappy night allowing two weak goals. Obviously the team in front of him again didn't help him much against a bottom feeder team playing a back to back after flying in from Vancouver. I don't think they could have asked for better circumstances playing against a backup goalie & they still lost after beating a top team in Montreal just two days earlier. This team is impossible to figure out this yr & it doesn't look like it is going to be any better for the remainder of the yr. They don't seem to be capable of going on a run & getting a playoff spot, they just have no consistency from game to game.

IMO the time has come to start unloading players that are not in the future plans of this team. There are a number of contracts on this team that they need to trade if possible including Greening, Legwand, Phillips, Wiercioch & Michalek but I'm not sure anyone would want any of them, maybe the last two. They also have to decide what they want to do with Neil, Smith & Condra. Condra is a UFA & if they don't plan to re-sign him they should try & get something for him by the deadline. Neil & Smith both have value but Ottawa could also use their toughness since they have very little toughness in the current lineup. The Sens are so very easy to play against, they don't scare anyone & don't make it very difficult for visiting teams. Some of those others could be very difficult to move & could still be here next season. Next yr doesn't look to promising either unless they is another major overhaul.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
I was at the game tonight & it looked to me like Anderson had another crappy night allowing two weak goals. Obviously the team in front of him again didn't help him much against a bottom feeder team playing a back to back after flying in from Vancouver. I don't think they could have asked for better circumstances playing against a backup goalie & they still lost after beating a top team in Montreal just two days earlier. This team is impossible to figure out this yr & it doesn't look like it is going to be any better for the remainder of the yr. They don't seem to be capable of going on a run & getting a playoff spot, they just have no consistency from game to game.

IMO the time has come to start unloading players that are not in the future plans of this team. There are a number of contracts on this team that they need to trade if possible including Greening, Legwand, Phillips, Wiercioch & Michalek but I'm not sure anyone would want any of them, maybe the last two. They also have to decide what they want to do with Neil, Smith & Condra. Condra is a UFA & if they don't plan to re-sign him they should try & get something for him by the deadline. Neil & Smith both have value but Ottawa could also use their toughness since they have very little toughness in the current lineup. The Sens are so very easy to play against, they don't scare anyone & don't make it very difficult for visiting teams. Some of those others could be very difficult to move & could still be here next season. Next yr doesn't look to promising either unless they is another major overhaul.

Two goals redirected off Wiercioch. Saying they were weak or that he had another bad start is simply not right. The team played a marvelous game. At the NHL level goalies can steal games and that was the case. Also interesting that kudobin is 5-0-0 against the sens. I agree with everything else. Guys to be afraid of on the sens = Ryan and Methot and thats only because they occaisionally level people. Lesser extent Cowen.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
2 goals were 100% on Weircioch

We need to trade him ASAP he is just not good enough, smart enough or fast enough

He didn't have a great game, but I don't think he was solely responsible for both of the goals.

BTW, the Michalek - JGP - Stone line was great. Now if we could get someone to play with the Turris line we'd have 3 lines going. Chiasson is just not working there.

Hossa18

Jan 20, 2008
Yeah, agreed about Saturday/Canes... but previous GDTs were still only ~600 posts.

Not as drastically low as today's game, but still noticeable, IMO.

I check in here every so often but not like I used to and has nothing to do with the way the team is playing.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
He didn't have a great game, but I don't think he was solely responsible for both of the goals.

BTW, the Michalek - JGP - Stone line was great. Now if we could get someone to play with the Turris line we'd have 3 lines going. Chiasson is just not working there.
Drew Stafford, but should have traded for him a month or two ago, it could be too late now.

Philoops

I am Potato
Jul 19, 2011
Canada
Hoffman only seems to have one shot in his arsenal. Speed, some skill and a good shot that takes a long time to fire. Hopefully he learns to just fire the thing instead of going for the same move each time, sure it's working now but for how long. Also, thought Cowen had a solid game, didnt notice him at all. Anderson wasnt to blame. Pageau is a player. Stone makes things happen. Turris was invisible to me, in fact that whole line has been underwhelming lately to me, but I haven't really watched much. Lazar was unlucky, I'm hoping his hands aren't on par with Condra's though. Also, was Zibanejad playing? I was at the game but I didnt notice

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Hoffman only seems to have one shot in his arsenal. Speed, some skill and a good shot that takes a long time to fire. Hopefully he learns to just fire the thing instead of going for the same move each time, sure it's working now but for how long. Also, thought Cowen had a solid game, didnt notice him at all. Anderson wasnt to blame. Pageau is a player. Stone makes things happen. Turris was invisible to me, in fact that whole line has been underwhelming lately to me, but I haven't really watched much. Lazar was unlucky, I'm hoping his hands aren't on par with Condra's though. Also, was Zibanejad playing? I was at the game but I didnt notice

Hoffman is also a guy who is pretty good at one timer. I think he can get the puck off quick but its just not terribly accurate. He has had the luxury a lot of the time to settle his shot because of the time and space he creates with his speed.

Basicallyi see Silf release the puck as quick as he can but it generally has to go through defenders because hes slow and cant make space for himself. Hoffman gets open and can focus more of accuracy over speed of his release.

krapsik

Nov 13, 2009
Estonia
As was mentioned in second intermission by Cypreos, Ottawa dont have natural scorers beside Ryan. And thats a problem, that needed to be adressed month ago.
And Anderson is not giving more chance to win than Lehner. With Andy, one bad goal is almost guaranteed in any game. I`d say second goal was 100% on Andy. Redirection or not, his position was complettely wrong. He was to far out of the crease without no reason.
Overall, i liked our game. Karlsson is crazy player. I dont remember him playing like that in preinjury years. Just amazing. Dont having player like him in All-Star game is a shame for the league, and must be only one signal needed to start eliminating that stupid vote system.

Hossa18

Jan 20, 2008

You didn't see Zibanejad set up Hoffman alone in front of the net only to get robbed or how about that diving save that Khudobin made on Karlsson which was also set up by Zibanejad? Maybe you went to the bathroom on those 2 occasions.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Who's available that is better?

That depends on the price you want to pay. But that is irrelevant. Like I said, no need for another 3rd liner. I'd rather play Chiasson there if we're targeting Stewart or Stafford.

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
As was mentioned in second intermission by Cypreos, Ottawa dont have natural scorers beside Ryan. And thats a problem, that needed to be adressed month ago.
And Anderson is not giving more chance to win than Lehner. With Andy, one bad goal is almost guaranteed in any game. I`d say second goal was 100% on Andy. Redirection or not, his position was complettely wrong. He was to far out of the crease without no reason.
Overall, i liked our game. Karlsson is crazy player. I dont remember him playing like that in preinjury years. Just amazing. Dont having player like him in All-Star game is a shame for the league, and must be only one signal needed to start eliminating that stupid vote system.

I'd argue Kipper's point (not surprising.. I'd argue many of his 'points') that the leading goal scorer on the Senators currently .. one Mike Hoffman is a natural scorer, and might turn into an elite 2nd line winger at this rate.

Outside of those two guys, no, you don't have any other 1st linefinishers/snipers... Zbad might yet blossom into more of one.

You've got two 2nd line guys who can be streaky scorers in Turris and Mac, and Stone leans more towards a playmaking type forward.

Basically, this team does not lack any 2nd line type scoring support players, it lacks that other #1 line winger or 1C that can bury the puck.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Quality of discussion has fallen off a lot over the past year. There's only ever a handful of topics going on here and they're filled with pessimism, negativity and repetitive arguments.

I don't think what you're noticing has much to do with the team's place in the standings. I think it has to do with dropping by here and finding the same half a dozen people saying the same things over and over.

OK, so what are YOU doing to improve the quality of the conversation!?

Some of the really good posters were turned off by the negativity last year too, which often took the form of Spezza/MacLean bashing. With the team not looking any better, it seems as though the more negative posters were more in their element (switching targets, of course, because Spezza and Mac are gone) while the good posters started to show up less and less. There are some outstanding posters still showing up and participating, but just not as many.

At this point I don't hang out here nearly as often as I used to, and there are threads that I refuse to open. I want to enjoy the experience, and not just read a bunch of crap that I know is going to piss me off. When I do come here I will sometimes not bother opening a thread based who the last poster was.

That's just where I am at, and I'm sure a few others are in the same spot.

Sorry, but I don't agree with the "negative post = crap post" I keep seeing. A crap post is a crap post, and it can be optimistic or pessimistic. And sure, there's plenty from either side, fortunately you can use the forum tools at your disposal to filter them out.

You're a poster who believes in the scientific method to analyze a game, and so you should be someone who DOESN'T get pissed off when you read something you disagree with. Welcome opposing opinion. And of course you can ignore baseless opinion. But again, an opposing opinion is not the same thing as a baseless opinion.

It's hard to post something without someone jumping down your throat, when one makes a post about something they observed in the game and other posters attack the guy over it, it makes it hard to want to post again. Some posters have forgotten to be respectful of others opinions.

Now this I agree with.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
As for the game: Varlamov'd by Khudobin! Yet another good game by the Sens (how many in a row now?), but sadly with the wrong result.

- Can I repeat how much I LOVE Methot? Here's a difference between Methot and, say, a guy like Phillips back when he was at the top of his game: Methot makes the right play every time, whereas Phillips makes (or at least used to make) the safe play. See the difference? I really hope Marc stays healthy and we sign him to an extension. Maybe we can entice him with a short-term high-amount extension and if he proves healthy we can give him the long-term one later?

- We could use a finisher on Turris' line. Chiasson's not cutting it. At least maybe bump up Ryan there from time to time. But ideally we need to acquire another top 6 forward. Maybe not this year though...

- The devil in Michalek! He's been excellent lately. That line was jumping yet again; Pageau's enthusiasm must be contagious.

- Lazar is getting close. Don't know when Smith is coming back, but Lazar needs to step up if he wants to keep his spot. I think/hope that Condra's spot has firmed up by now, he's been really good.

- Bad luck for the third pairing; I imagine it means Phillips draws back in. Can't wait for Boro to get healthy.

Savitar

AKA Jose
Jan 15, 2013
Ottawa needs to sell this year and reload for future seasons, I'm tired of this acquire a top 6 forward talk, the way we are playing it won't happen.

Murray will admit at the end of the season he was disappointed like we all are. And he needs to focus on restocking the cupboards

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Ottawa needs to sell this year and reload for future seasons, I'm tired of this acquire a top 6 forward talk, the way we are playing it won't happen.

Murray will admit at the end of the season he was disappointed like we all are. And he needs to focus on restocking the cupboards

ottawa needs to get a young top 6 forward who can help next year and for the future

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
**** that game.

Karlsson should have had a hat trick and we should have won by 5.

Luck just wasn't there tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad