Value of: Carlo to Toronto

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
No, No, and No. We wouldn't want Dermott or Johnsson for him either. None of these pieces are doing anything for Boston. Dermott is a LHD, the spot we're already deep at. All these trades would do is strengthen Toronto at an area they need strengthening. A BOS/TOR trade for Carlo would hurt, so it's not happening.

I don't understand why this keeps coming up.
Fair enough, just trying to help your bad prospect pool if Carlo were to be traded. I guess he's not moving though.

The Hockey Tonk Man

May 3, 2007
Toronto
HelplessSatisfiedGroundhog

:sarcasm:

With that said, I'd be very interested in carlo from a Toronto pov.

Hard to put a value on though.

Plays top pairing D with Chara as a rookie, posts a video of him screwing up once, (some) Leafs fans pass (Remember Gardiner's lovely defensive play in game 7?)

B's aren't trading Carlo for anything short of an overpayment, he was looking mighty fine & finally playing with an edge near the end of the year before he got hurt

Reactions: maxbme

AuraSphere

Jun 27, 2012
Plays top pairing D with Chara as a rookie, posts a video of him screwing up once, (some) Leafs fans pass (Remember Gardiner's lovely defensive play in game 7?)

B's aren't trading Carlo for anything short of an overpayment, he was looking mighty fine & finally playing with an edge near the end of the year before he got hurt

It's a joke... everyone knows he's valuable. The difference is, no one on these boards will let Gardiner's oppsies go :huh:

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Would never trade dermott for Carlo. Thats counterproductive. Johnsson neither.

Bracco? Brown? Prospect?

On a one-for-one for deal? I'd love it but don't think it would happen. Even all three assets might not be enough, but would depend (heavily) on what prospect is involved.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
How about Johnsson, 2nd & Pickard

If Johnsson has a great season (55+ points) they might be interested. But they've got pretty decent depth themselves and Carlo brings a fairly unique element to their blueline which I expect they want to keep. A late 2nd is pretty meh and they've already got 2 goalies, Pickard would need to pass waivers for their team. But until Johnsson has sustained success at the NHL level he's not going to carry a ton of value.

I'd have to agree with LG's assessment here. I don't think that kind of offer will bring a decent, top-4 defender.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
How about this......

Dear fans of other teams, if you would be so kind, could you please list your top 4D....as well as the cost to acquire for the Leafs? We want them....all of them.

I actually think that is about the best approach available. Even then, it will probably disintegrate into the per usual pissing match. But, it might start out on the right track and maybe there will be a page or two of constructive conversations before it falls apart.

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
Is that really true.
The bruins are in an interesting place. The have a few aging players that they are finding replacements for, but they will have to make decisions next year for cap reasons. I understand the reluctance of moving Carlo but the contracts next year could get ugly. If Chara has another good year and Boston is competitive (no reason to see why they won't be), do you let him walk or do you sign him for another year? There will be tons of teams willing to sign him for a couple of years.
The Bruins were in on Tavares and Kovalchuk in the offseason so I do not believe they are worried about their cap situation.

Bruins can have $15,779,334 in cap space next offseason to sign Chara and their young players if they let Acciari and McQuaid walk, trade Miller for cap space (Moore replaces him on the right-side), and Hayes' cap (buyout) comes off the cap. Backes' and Krejci's contracts will also both have modified NTCs instead of NMCs.

Reactions: wintersej

Red Piller

Canucks
May 29, 2013
No one is the be all end all, but he's reputable for sure

You offered a dumptruck worth of shit. You are asking for a top 4 RHD for bracco and Brown? That is f***ing awful and you should be ashamed. Even worse, you are defending it like the Bruins should be doing cartwheels to take those guys off your hands.

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009
Is that really true.
The bruins are in an interesting place. The have a few aging players that they are finding replacements for, but they will have to make decisions next year for cap reasons. I understand the reluctance of moving Carlo but the contracts next year could get ugly. If Chara has another good year and Boston is competitive (no reason to see why they won't be), do you let him walk or do you sign him for another year? There will be tons of teams willing to sign him for a couple of years.

I just don't see the correlation to Chara here, let alone trading a top four RHD RFA to clear up cap space. Chara JUST signed a one year deal @ 4mm, if Chara is still playing at a high level there is no reason to think he wouldnt continue to be signed to one year deals at that price. At this point there isn't a replacement, and Chara doesnt want to leave.

The only way I see the Bruins having a lot of "cap troubles" is if McAvoy, Donato, Heinen and Carlo have huge years, which would be fantastic.

I think the Bruins will have some important decisions to make but if Chara is still playing at a high level Sweeney will welcome back with open arms. I just don't think hes relevant to the discussion.

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009
Umm...it was just ranked bottom 5...there's not much there anymore.

Oh well, no deal is no deal

Help our "bad" prospect pool by trading young top four cost controlled defensemen? In what world does that make sense?

[MOD]

Last edited by a moderator:

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
For whatever reason, Carlo regressed last year. Bruins aren't trading him, because they want/need him to be a good NHLer soon.
Leafs wouldn't want to give up much to get him, because he's still unknown. Leafs still have enough unknown at the final Dman spot...Ozhignov, Carrick, make Holl.
It's kinda of funny that folks just love to trade so many RHD to the Leafs. If they are so valuable won't the other teams want to keep them.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
For whatever reason, Carlo regressed last year. Bruins aren't trading him, because they want/need him to be a good NHLer soon.
Leafs wouldn't want to give up much to get him, because he's still unknown. Leafs still have enough unknown at the final Dman spot...Ozhignov, Carrick, make Holl.
It's kinda of funny that folks just love to trade so many RHD to the Leafs. If they are so valuable won't the other teams want to keep them.

IDK that I'd say he regressed. He went from playing with Chara is rookie year to Krug in his sophomore year. He was basically asked to be the lone defender with 5 forwards on the ice. His scoring was bit down, but again he was tasked with being very defensive minded because of Krug's skill set.

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009
IDK that I'd say he regressed. He went from playing with Chara is rookie year to Krug in his sophomore year. He was basically asked to be the lone defender with 5 forwards on the ice. His scoring was bit down, but again he was tasked with being very defensive minded because of Krug's skill set.

People keep forgetting Carlo is 21 years old, playing a position that takes a long time to develop to begin with. He's also 6'5 which just ADDS to that time.

Having watched him many times I have no qualms about him being a steady top four RHD. If Bs fans are expecting more than that I wouldnt bet on it, but with McAvoy around theres no need.

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009
Steve Kournianos is also a reputable source who ranks the Bruins #12....And ahead of the Leafs lol.

But yes, our prospect pool is bad because Pronman says so.

Calling the Bruins system "bad" is just wrong. I'd say its probably in the 12-18 range but i think its laughable to put them lower than that.

Reactions: FanSince72

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad