Carl Hagelin

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
So what do you guys see with him moving forward? I love the way he plays. However, I wonder if his regular season last year wasn't a bit of him overachieving. Seems like he had quite a few fluky type goals. Maybe I can check the goals on NHL.com, maybe I just remember a couple that stand out. Also, this is my biggest question what happened to him in the playoffs? Did he burn out? He seems like the type of player that would thrive in the playoffs. Is it possible that his intensity was matched in the playoffs?

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
I think he could develop into a 50 point winger, realistically. He's so effective with speed and intelligence, I think he's going to be a valuable player for a long time.

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
Once he starts owning the puck more with more than just speed/getting AROUND players, he'll be a fairly valuable and hard to replace piece. Having that said, he already owns the puck with speed as of now but there's room for improvement and turning it into something that's more... offensively direct as opposed to being a catalyst.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Once he starts owning the puck more with more than just speed/getting AROUND players, he'll be a fairly valuable and hard to replace piece. Having that said, he already owns the puck with speed as of now but there's room for improvement and turning it into something that's more... offensively direct as opposed to being a catalyst.

He'll just be fairly valuable? haha What is he now then?

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
I think he could develop into a 50 point winger, realistically. He's so effective with speed and intelligence, I think he's going to be a valuable player for a long time.

I think this is a modest prediction honestly.

He was on pace for 50 points this season.

I can definitely see higher offensive output.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I think this is a modest prediction honestly.

He was on pace for 50 points this season.

I can definitely see higher offensive output.

The thing is, what exactly are his strengths that would lead to a high scoring output? He seems like a guy that's not great at anything (other than speed and tenacity).

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
His peak is an effective 2nd liner, IMO. I think he's a career NHLer but will fluctuate between top 6 and top 9 depending on how his non-skating skills develop.

I've seen too many guys fall in and out of flavor quickly (Prucha, Dawes, etc) to get too excited about guys until they've established 2-3 solid seasons of upward trending.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Lets not forget, he came directly into the nhl after having a cup of coffee in the AHL and after college seasons of 40 or so games, max. Hes the story of conditioning legend in michigan but its a totally different animal playing a full season and playoffs professionally.

I'm a big fan of what Hagelin brings to the table and its not necessarily about the points he puts up these first few years in the league. His presence on the ice is noticed on a shift to shift basis and his speed alone keeps the other team honest and adds a dynamic to a top offensive line that is rare in this league.

When you can institute a set icing dump in play for a skater with his talent its something unique and its extremely hard to defend against. He makes this team deeper by being able to spread out the scoring talent because of that skating ability. He'll get his points because hes always around the puck buy he shouldnt necessarily be gauged on that as much as other top line forwards imo

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
He is a spark in games when we have nothing else.

He works, presses, and puts defenses on constant alert with his speed. He lost a little energy late in the year, but if you keep his minutes at around 15 a game, it would be ideal.

He logged PK time as a rookie. For Torts, that's a big deal. To me, he is the kind of player Stanley Cup champions have on their team.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
About 27 minutes worth.

To be fair to him, we had a great deal of tenured penalty killers on last year's team. I think he'll be on our top 4 this year with Prust, Fedotenko, Dubinsky, Anisimov gone.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
To be fair to him, we had a great deal of tenured penalty killers on last year's team. I think he'll be on our top 4 this year with Prust, Fedotenko, Dubinsky, Anisimov gone.
That's true. I'm sure he'll get more time this year.

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
He'll just be fairly valuable? haha What is he now then?

you like to pick away at words Snow :laugh:

I say that almost in a... "I haven't ate in 15 hours, I think i'll be fairly hungry at the buffet" sense... slightly sarcastic, slightly ill defined. Not as in.. "I would rate that clay pot to be 6/10. It's fairly valuable."

Just for you:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0p4vK_xGqIU&feature=share

I better sharpen up on my formal language by the time the season starts :laugh:
Who said high school English doesn't help with life? :laugh:

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
The thing is, what exactly are his strengths that would lead to a high scoring output? He seems like a guy that's not great at anything (other than speed and tenacity).

So he has great speed and tenacity. Two very important attributes. He also has good hands, hockey sense and playmaking ability. His shot is something that can be worked on over time.

20-40 is a very realistic expectation for Hagelin.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003

I say that almost in a... "I haven't ate in 15 hours, I think i'll be fairly hungry at the buffet" sense... slightly sarcastic, slightly ill defined. Not as in.. "I would rate that clay pot to be 6/10. It's fairly valuable."

Just for you:

Headline: JCRESTY COMPARES HAGELIN TO CLAY POT

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
So he has great speed and tenacity. Two very important attributes. He also has good hands, hockey sense and playmaking ability. His shot is something that can be worked on over time.

20-40 is a very realistic expectation for Hagelin.

40 assists seems high, IMO, unless guys are banging in his rebounds on the reg. And if you meant 20 goals 40 points, sorry for the misinterpretation.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
50-55 points player.

Got a hunch he struggles in his 2nd season. Hope I'm wrong.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY

Just for you:

When I started watching that I thought I was Torts in that exchange and I was happy. Then I realized I was Brooks. :rant:

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
40 assists seems high, IMO, unless guys are banging in his rebounds on the reg. And if you meant 20 goals 40 points, sorry for the misinterpretation.

Considering he already had 38 points in 64 games last year I'd say he surpassed 20 goals and 40 points.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Considering he already had 38 points in 64 games last year I'd say he surpassed 20 goals and 40 points.

I believe playoffs included it was 41 points in 82 games, but of course the level of competition is higher.

Jan 8, 2012
NY
Hagelin is an athletic freak. Stepan, for example, still seems to be struggling with playing 82 games every year. Hags didn't put up many points in the playoffs, but his motor was still running. I think he'll have an easier time adjusting from an NCAA season to an NHL one.

Unrelated, but I'm expecting a lot from Stepan in this shortened season. Last year, mid season (which would be playoff time now) was when he was playing his best.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad