Carl Hagelin

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I just looked at all of his goals and about 6 of 14 were fluky or really bad goals given up by the goalie. He did show a nice shot in a few of them. I just wonder if the law averages won't catch up with him.

Jan 8, 2012
NY
I just looked at all of his goals and about 6 of 14 were fluky or really bad goals given up by the goalie. He did show a nice shot in a few of them. I just wonder if the law averages won't catch up with him.

He seems like more of a playmaker to me. He definitely had lots of wrap arounds. You could argue that goalies couldn't react to his speed quickly enough, but I don't think it'll continue. He can be a good assist man, though.

Last edited:

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
He seems like more of a playmaker to me. He definitely had lots of wrap arounds. You could argue that goalies couldn't react to his spe quickly enough, but I don't think it'll continue. He can be a good assist man, though.

He showed a sick shot a couple of times too. Quick release, top corner. Example is the Buffalo game.

Jan 8, 2012
NY
He showed a sick shot a couple of times too. Quick release, top corner. Example is the Buffalo game.

That was the short handed goal, right? That was a good one. Another good one was vs. Fatso, also a SHG in NJ.

I think he'll thrive from behind the net. He can dig out the puck, and get it to his teammates very quickly. (Richards goal vs Caps Game 7, Richards goal vs. Carolina in a March game come to mind as being really sweet passes.

He's really the kind of player that can play with whatever style of players the coach chooses to play him with. It's great to have such a versatile player on the roster.

Dec 13, 2010
I don't think he's a 20 goal a year type of guy, but I could see him having 35-40 assists. The kind of guy that will give you a 16+36 type of season and be a valuable winger. Plus he plays special teams. Valuable guy, I really like watching him and we should definitely remember he came straight out of the NCAA last year.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
I love Hagelin and I think he will be a very valuable player for the Rangers.

However I would still be pretty surprised if he was consistently a 50 pt guy (or higher as has been suggested).

wolfgaze

Interesting Cat
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2006
Earth
Hagelin's speed and puck pressure/pursuit changes the dynamic out on the ice for the opposing team, especially in the neutral zone.... Opposing players have to make quicker decisions and rush their passes / puck movement more frequently, which leads to turnovers & giveaways. Hagelin's puck protection and board work (cycling) is another strong aspect of his game. He's the type of role player whose contributions don't always turn up on the scoresheet, you need to watch his complete game to see the impact that he adds to the ice. One of my favorite Rangers to watch....

Last edited:

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
Hagelin's speed and puck pressure/pursuit changes the dynamic out on the ice for the opposing team, especially in the neutral zone.... Opposing players have to make quicker decisions and rush their passes / puck movement more frequently, which creates turnovers & giveaways. Hagelin's puck protection and board work (cycling) is another strong aspect of his game. He's the type of role player whose contributions don't always turn up on the scoresheet, you need to watch his complete game to see the impact that he adds to the ice. One of my favorite Rangers to watch....

this x 1,000,000. He also opens up a lot of ice for playmakers/snipers on the team as he forces opposing D to back up and create gap issues. he's easily the most consistently effective forward on the team. changes the whole complexion of a game. Until Kreider gets comfortable, he would be smart to pattern his game after Hags. He has the speed and the size to be as effective. His shot is better than Hags and that should eventually make him more dangerous.

Jan 8, 2012
NY
Is it me, or did Hags draw a lot of penalties last year? Other than the obvious one like the double minor on Ward in Game 5, I seem to remember that opponents would trip him a lot because they couldn't keep up with him.

Maybe no one remembers because the ensuing power play would result in a loss of momentum and looked ECHL caliber. maybe, just this once, we have a power play that doesn't suck, so that Hagelin can end up being just that more effective.

IBleedNYRBlue

May 24, 2011
New Jersey
Hagelin's speed and puck pressure/pursuit changes the dynamic out on the ice for the opposing team, especially in the neutral zone.... Opposing players have to make quicker decisions and rush their passes / puck movement more frequently, which creates turnovers & giveaways. Hagelin's puck protection and board work (cycling) is another strong aspect of his game. He's the type of role player whose contributions don't always turn up on the scoresheet, you need to watch his complete game to see the impact that he adds to the ice. One of my favorite Rangers to watch....
Great post.

Hags is a guy who's stats do not tell the whole story.

Vinny

Aug 10, 2011
London
Any Swede here that can tell us how he did in the Swedish League? What impression did he make?

Callagraves

Block shots
Jan 24, 2011

I remember this, and I remember thinking "this kid has GREAT puck luck".

Sad to say, but I don't expect 50 point production from him just yet. His assets are his skating, puck protection, forecheck, all of these things don't directly translate to points. That could make him a very valuable player who doesn't put points up (WHAT A CONCEPT!)

On the other hand, if his line mates are scoring, someone who's always chasing down pucks and making passes out WILL rack up assists. He's got an NHL caliber wrist shot, but it's not the skill he'll be leaning on.

Could be an average 2nd liner or a fantastic 3rd liner.

But Torts doesn't number lines, it's just as likely we'll see him with Brad Richards as it is we see him with Brian Boyle. What's cool is he can fill BOTH of those roles.

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
Any Swede here that can tell us how he did in the Swedish League? What impression did he make?

He was quite impressive in the 2nd tier league there - actually looking better than Anze Kopitar or Gabriel Landeskog that both played in the same league :amazed:. "A dominating force on the ice" was what one GM told me. He has also worked a lot on his shot this offseason. And, of course, undertaken a crazy conditioning program.

I really hope his shoulder injury is not as serious as has been mentioned to me by reliable sources. If he is 100%, I believe he will continue a great development this year. If he shows development he will be a lock for the 1st 2 lines. 20/35 (prorated) is not out of the question. This might be a curse in disguise though as he is up for a new contract next year. Have real high hopes for Carl this year, just hope he stays healthy...

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Zenith, why do you think he was so ineffective in the playoffs?

I am optimistic about Hagelin.

Also, in the PO's its not wrong to say that Hagelin was ineffective. But Hagelin was certainly ineffective in a very diffrent fashion than say Derek Stepan or Brandon Prust. Hagelin constantly created chances and was involved. The puck didn't go in for him and he didn't get many accidental pts to boost his stats, but he played very well.

Its hard to talk about potential output and what not. Like the diffrent between 55 and 75 can easily be the team you play on. We have been a low scoring team for a reason, our games are almost always thight and hence we nor the other team never give up. Our PP hasn't worked. You don't score 60+ pts unless you play on a decent PP. But Hagelin could definitely keep suprising people, me included.

Last edited:

FoxysExpensiveNYDigs

Boo Nieves Truther
Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Love Hags. Think he tops out about 15-20 goals/35-45 assist production. Will be interesting if Kreider develops and Glen is forced to choose to keep one of them.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
i want to think he's going to be a 50 point winger but i'm not so sure. he is fast and tenacious but i worry that some of his scoring success came when he was new to the league. it's possible he caught opponents off-guard with better speed and tenacity than expected. if i remember correctly, a lot of his scoring was on broken plays. so i do question whether he'll be as effective going forward. but he is a talented guy and i certainly hope he develops into a 50 point winger. that'd be great on any of the top three lines.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad