Player Discussion Carey Price - Why Always Me? Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
I think he will be a bit better and we will have a better start to the season. However, the Defense is still not good and our forward group is still soft. Lets see what our roster looks like in September. Price can only do so much... what I would like from him is to stop the easy ones. If he can do that, I'm happy. Cause that's the part of his game that I don't like. He is a very smart goalie but the soft goals are a killer. A guy like Lindgren might allow more goals to NHL shooters but he is quick and stops the ones he should stop. Helps with team confidence. Price needs to keep it simple vs trying to be our savior. Trying to be our savior is not good for his game.

Lindgren was giving up soft goals left and right during his second stint and the end of his first stint last season. Lindgren and Niemi are vastly different goalies then a Price. They focus on stopping the puck and that’s it. Price plays in sync with his defenders so he can play the percentages. If there’s no trust between him and the defenders, it all falls apart like we saw last year. If Price can’t trust his defence to be in the areas they practice, it will be ugly again for him next season. He’s very much a system goalie.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
I think he will be a bit better and we will have a better start to the season. However, the Defense is still not good and our forward group is still soft. Lets see what our roster looks like in September. Price can only do so much... what I would like from him is to stop the easy ones. If he can do that, I'm happy. Cause that's the part of his game that I don't like. He is a very smart goalie but the soft goals are a killer. A guy like Lindgren might allow more goals to NHL shooters but he is quick and stops the ones he should stop. Helps with team confidence. Price needs to keep it simple vs trying to be our savior. Trying to be our savior is not good for his game.
Just read an article, that states our D should be our first priority, not at centre...a real case can be made for that........which infuriates me even more, that Molson allowed MB to tear apart our D core and trade our puck moving defencemen!! WTF??

So, while he couldn't get us a centre, he also tore apart the D........................wow. But he is still working...and really no one seems to be making that big a deal about it, because? I know, I know, we are really not suppose to go there......

pepperMonkey

Aug 2, 2005
Toronto
Helps with team confidence. Price needs to keep it simple vs trying to be our savior. Trying to be our savior is not good for his game.

Err...and how else is our team going to win games if he's NOT our savior? Seriously, this teams is craptastic in defense AND offense. The only way this team wins is if our goalies are our saviors.

Reactions: Cobra Commander

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Just read an article, that states our D should be our first priority, not at centre...a real case can be made for that........which infuriates me even more, that Molson allowed MB to tear apart our D core and trade our puck moving defencemen!! WTF??

So, while he couldn't get us a centre, he also tore apart the D........................wow. But he is still working...and really no one seems to be making that big a deal about it, because? I know, I know, we are really not suppose to go there......

I do think we have equal holes on LD and in the top 2C spots. Interested to see our roster come September

Sthabs

Apr 7, 2006
Did you guys see the gofundme page to putup a billboard for carey price for fans to show their love?
They re asking 1500$ it's pretty much at 1/3 so far

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
Did you guys see the gofundme page to putup a billboard for carey price for fans to show their love?
They re asking 1500$ it's pretty much at 1/3 so far

This is probably one of the most pathetic thing I have ever seen in my life.

HAI GAIS,
The situation is dire. I know that Carey has a beautiful wife and kid, that he makes 10.5M a year for the next 8 years, that he is good looking and healthy, but in order to assuage my own pathetic personal fears, please help me raise 1500$. I just want to make sure that Carey sleeps well at night you see ? I know there are kids who don't get food, clothes, and that there are sick people who could really use our help a heck of a lot more .... but gais... CAREY..... HALP ME SAVE THE CAREY !​

Jesus... what's wrong with people. Price would be the first to think that's crazy, I hope anyway.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
This is probably one of the most pathetic thing I have ever seen in my life.

HAI GAIS,
The situation is dire. I know that Carey has a beautiful wife and kid, that he makes 10.5M a year for the next 8 years, that he is good looking and healthy, but in order to assuage my own pathetic personal fears, please help me raise 1500$. I just want to make sure that Carey sleeps well at night you see ? I know there are kids who don't get food, clothes, and that there are sick people who could really use our help a heck of a lot more .... but gais... CAREY..... HALP ME SAVE THE CAREY !​

Jesus... what's wrong with people. Price would be the first to think that's crazy, I hope anyway.

It sounds more like a sarcastic hater than an actual fan.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
It sounds more like a sarcastic hater than an actual fan.

Of course it's sarcasm jesus... why would anyone spend money to lift the spirits of a guy who has a perfect life ? Both his parents are alive, he was raised right, he has a beautiful family, he had a chance to party like a mad man with zero repercussions for the entire part of his early adulthood in a city perfect for that shit, now he makes a shit ton of money... he has everything. How can someone feel sorry for him ? Like.. you have to be mentally disturbed to think money needs to be spent on a pick me up for this guy. Seriously.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Of course it's sarcasm jesus... why would anyone spend money to lift the spirits of a guy who has a perfect life ? Both his parents are alive, he was raised right, he has a beautiful family, he had a chance to party like a mad man with zero repercussions for the entire part of his early adulthood in a city perfect for that ****, now he makes a **** ton of money... he has everything. How can someone feel sorry for him ? Like.. you have to be mentally disturbed to think money needs to be spent on a pick me up for this guy. Seriously.

You're clearly not reading all the posts here.

Last edited:
Reactions: Peanut

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Of course it's sarcasm jesus... why would anyone spend money to lift the spirits of a guy who has a perfect life ? Both his parents are alive, he was raised right, he has a beautiful family, he had a chance to party like a mad man with zero repercussions for the entire part of his early adulthood in a city perfect for that ****, now he makes a **** ton of money... he has everything. How can someone feel sorry for him ? Like.. you have to be mentally disturbed to think money needs to be spent on a pick me up for this guy. Seriously.
Were you by any chance a Jaroslav Halak fan?

Reactions: Peanut

CristianoRonaldo

Apr 7, 2014
In your head
Kings rode quick for one if not two (memory fails me) of their cups. And Murray was fantastic for the penguins cup runs.

At the same time, lot of goalies have sank their teams by being bad time and time again...

I'm just saying, it's not a black and white issue at all. ask the jets, or predators, or knights this series how important a solid goaltender is.

Is it worth building a team around? I don't think so, but let's not pretend that it's far down the list of a what a contender has to get sorted.

Quick still had a team in front of him... What happened to him against Vegas, when his team was not able to score ?

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
Were you by any chance a Jaroslav Halak fan?

Why wouldn't I be a fan of a player who showed up in the playoffs?

Were you by any chance a fan of Gallagher, Camalleri, Weise, Eller, Subban? I think anyone should have appreciated these guys play when it mattered and this includes halak

I am not a fan of guys like patch and price because they have been underwhelming in the playoffs so far

But this has absolutely nothing to do with paying for a billboard to lift price's spirits

Reactions: Garbageyuk

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Why wouldn't I be a fan of a player who showed up in the playoffs?

Were you by any chance a fan of Gallagher, Camalleri, Weise, Eller, Subban? I think anyone should have appreciated these guys play when it mattered and this includes halak

I have to give you this one, if this is truly the angle of your posts about Price vs former players that were habs, I respect it.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
If I may ask as a Flyers fan and native Montrealer (fell in love with the Stanley Cup champions and my namesake as a 7-year-old), may I ask if any of you have any substance to the "fact", according to my father-in-law, that Price is in conflict with Julien and/or the whole dressing room? I haven't heard anything about it but I don't read the French press too often. I figured that this would be a R Tremblay hit piece but I couldn't even unearth that with an online search. I found the divorce rumour he was all to happy to share back in November.

I doubt there is any truth in his opinion but I thought he (a francophone Canadiens fan who is pretty bitter at present) would at least have had some source for this perspective.

Thanks.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
If I may ask as a Flyers fan and native Montrealer (fell in love with the Stanley Cup champions and my namesake as a 7-year-old), may I ask if any of you have any substance to the "fact", according to my father-in-law, that Price is in conflict with Julien and/or the whole dressing room? I haven't heard anything about it but I don't read the French press too often. I figured that this would be a R Tremblay hit piece but I couldn't even unearth that with an online search. I found the divorce rumour he was all to happy to share back in November.

I doubt there is any truth in his opinion but I thought he (a francophone Canadiens fan who is pretty bitter at present) would at least have had some source for this perspective.

Thanks.
All is quiet on that front, that being said, if any of this was true, you would think the franco media would have had a field day by now....

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
All is quiet on that front, that being said, if any of this was true, you would think the franco media would have had a field day by now....

Thanks for your response. I completely agree and thought it very odd that I hadn't heard anything. He probably heard / read one half-baked innuendo and took it as fact.

Reactions: BLONG7

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I still see Carey Price as the same goalie who won the hart 3 years ago. He had injury problems the year after - had a HORRIBLE inconsistent 1-2 month stretch the season after (when Therrien got fired) - but played at vezina/hart caliber beyond that - and then had a horrible season last year.

I believe his problems last year were mental - he just was bad all the way through. You have to think a player like him will be able to overcome that and go back to form though.

I guess my question is - does majority around here still view Price as a goalie able to put up a season similar to 2015, or close? Because I do. And imo if he's still at that level (or even close) - it's impossible for us to miss the playoffs. So the whole idea of rebuilding is just a fantasy. While Price is on our team - I think we should retool best as we can and give it a go again next year.

Thoughts?

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
Price will definitely come back stronger next year. But...

1-It won't be enough to make us a contender
2-His contribution to the team's sucess can't be worth 10.5M in cap space.

That's just the sad reality for the next 5 years.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Price will definitely come back stronger next year. But...

1-It won't be enough to make us a contender
2-His contribution to the team's sucess can't be worth 10.5M in cap space.

That's just the sad reality for the next 5 years.

1. Let's say I agree on not being a contender. Everyone around here seems to want to rebuild. My argument is - you can't. Price will make us into a playoff team (or let's say bubble team). Those teams don't pick top 5, they pick at ~15 or so. Price is too good to allow us to rebuild.

So since we can't rebuild with Price - let's try to retool and become a championship team.

OR - if you insist on rebuilding, we have to trade Price to allow that.

2. 10.5M in cap space. It's just a #. The only teams who are really bothered by cap space are championship teams. Like Chicago a few years ago who had to blow some of it up because it cost too much. We have cap space. We had a TON of cap space last year. If Price is a Vezina/Hart candidate type of goalie - we can afford to overpay him for 2-3M$ for that type of performance.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
Lindgren was giving up soft goals left and right during his second stint and the end of his first stint last season. Lindgren and Niemi are vastly different goalies then a Price. They focus on stopping the puck and that’s it. Price plays in sync with his defenders so he can play the percentages. If there’s no trust between him and the defenders, it all falls apart like we saw last year. If Price can’t trust his defence to be in the areas they practice, it will be ugly again for him next season. He’s very much a system goalie.

That's why he struggles in the playoffs; things are much more dynamic and fast-paced. Systems and situations change rapidly in the playoffs, so it's no surprise he has been ass. Price likes to chill and for things to be static and routine. That's not how it is in the playoffs.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
One of the best goalies in the NHL - top 5
One of the top dmen in the league in Weber
10 million in cap space to spare

And we will be battling for the rights to draft Hughes next year..
But the food will be better in the arena.

Something didn't pan out in year 7 of Bergy's 5 yr plan.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I think Price needs to see marked improvements to this roster. He saw the garbage last Year and basically threw in the towel right away.

Bergevin needs to figure out what his plan is...add a bunch of new players to support Price and Weber or consider rebuilding by moving both Price and Weber.

The problem is Bergevin does not appear to have a plan in place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad