Player Discussion Carey Price - Why Always Me? Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beige Van

Oct 4, 2009
Canada
All I know is that he'd better rebound to at least a .920 save percentage next season, or that contract is going to look downright stomach churning. The season he just had would be equivalent to Patrick Kane having a 15 point season @ 10.5 per.

optimus2861

Aug 29, 2005
Bedford NS
He was doing quite well in the 2014 playoff run until Kreider sabotage our chance at winning the Stanley Cup.
Let's be clear about 2014: no way in Hades was Montreal capable of defeating either the Kings or the Hawks. It would've been fun to see them in the final again after so long, absolutely, but they'd have just been cannon fodder for the Kings just as the Rangers proved to be.

Reactions: BLONG7

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Let's be clear about 2014: no way in Hades was Montreal capable of defeating either the Kings or the Hawks. It would've been fun to see them in the final again after so long, absolutely, but they'd have just been cannon fodder for the Kings just as the Rangers proved to be.
Agreed............Price would have suffered the same fate, the King did, the Kings were way too much for the Rangers...

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville

I know that the Kings where better on paper but we never know ! Boston was the best team in the league and we won .. but I would have put my $$ with LA

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

Man, Price was in a place where he thought the fans turned on him. Hoping that ovation showed him that he can focus on being what he's been for this team for years before this past year.

Frozenice

No Reverse Gear
Jan 1, 2010
Yes Price would and should be a hero on another team. I hope he asks for a trade.
If Price wants a trade MB should give Price's agent permission to find a team who wants him.

The draft isn't easy, finding a centre isn't easy and trading Price probably won't be easy either.

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
He's getting paid the money to do exactly that! Carry a whole team!
And if Bergevin thinks that it's possible to win a Cup in this day and age by riding a goalie like they did in 86 and 93 then he's as dumb as he looks. Goalie-centric teams haven't been able to do that since the first lock-out in 2005. That era has been over for more than a decade now and it's not coming back.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
And if Bergevin thinks that it's possible to win a Cup in this day and age by riding a goalie like they did in 86 and 93 then he's as dumb as he looks. Goalie-centric teams haven't been able to do that since the first lock-out in 2005. That era has been over for more than a decade now and it's not coming back.

I'm not a supporter of that contract btw, but it is what it is... This is a team built around a damn superstar goalie...

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
True..........and if we look back, those two teams rode a hot goalie, but did not build their team around a goalie, a big difference.............Bergevin has absolutely no idea on how to build a team, and needs a goalie to save his bacon.

Reactions: Cobra Commander

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
He's getting paid the money to do exactly that! Carry a whole team!
Any GM who relies on one player to carry his team should be fired.
I'm not a supporter of that contract btw, but it is what it is... This is a team built around a damn superstar goalie...
Once again, stupid way to build a team. And it didn't have to be this way. We had a good core of good young players and we pissed it away. Now we've basically got one guy who we can count on.

As for this contract, people are going to see pretty soon that it's not nearly as bad as people think it is. Cap is going up and guys like Doughty, Karlsson, Tavares should be getting paid a fair bit more and this will only increase.

Last edited:

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing

Kings rode quick for one if not two (memory fails me) of their cups. And Murray was fantastic for the penguins cup runs.

At the same time, lot of goalies have sank their teams by being bad time and time again...

I'm just saying, it's not a black and white issue at all. ask the jets, or predators, or knights this series how important a solid goaltender is.

Is it worth building a team around? I don't think so, but let's not pretend that it's far down the list of a what a contender has to get sorted.

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
Kings rode quick for one if not two (memory fails me) of their cups. And Murray was fantastic for the penguins cup runs.

At the same time, lot of goalies have sank their teams by being bad time and time again...

I'm just saying, it's not a black and white issue at all. ask the jets, or predators, or knights this series how important a solid goaltender is.

Is it worth building a team around? I don't think so, but let's not pretend that it's far down the list of a what a contender has to get sorted.
You don't need a HOF caliber goalie to win a Cup; you need a goalie who gets hot at the right time. For three rounds Fleury was hot. Now he's gone cold and if he doesn't warm up soon the fact that he will one day go into the Hall of Fame isn't going to save the Golden Knights this week. Chicago won with Niemi, who isn't going to the Hall of Fame without first buying an admission ticket, and Chris Osgood won 3 Cups despite the fact that he was never better than average at his job. This goes to prove that building a goalie-centric team isn't a winning formula. The 3 Vezina finalists all fell short this year. You need timely goaltending in the playoffs more than elite regular season goaltending.

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
You don't need a HOF caliber goalie to win a Cup; you need a goalie who gets hot at the right time. For three rounds Fleury was hot. Now he's gone cold and if he doesn't warm up soon the fact that he will one day go into the Hall of Fame isn't going to save the Golden Knights this week. Chicago won with Niemi, who isn't going to the Hall of Fame without first buying an admission ticket, and Chris Osgood won 3 Cups despite the fact that he was never better than average at his job. This goes to prove that building a goalie-centric team isn't a winning formula. The 3 Vezina finalists all fell short this year. You need timely goaltending in the playoffs more than elite regular season goaltending.

You can't plan for "hot" or timely goaltending. No gm in their right mind is ever gonna go in the playoffs on a prayer.

Of course a great team can mask an ever age goaltender the same way a good goaltender can mask other flaws.

I'm just saying there's no clear recipe. You can't, without equivocation, say "this is how you win" because there's countless evidence saying otherwise.

Reactions: Laurentide

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
You can't plan for "hot" or timely goaltending. No gm in their right mind is ever gonna go in the playoffs on a prayer.

Of course a great team can mask an ever age goaltender the same way a good goaltender can mask other flaws.

I'm just saying there's no clear recipe. You can't, without equivocation, say "this is how you win" because there's countless evidence saying otherwise.
True, but I think we can all agree that building around a goalie, in 2018, would fall under "this is how you won't win".

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
All I know is that he'd better rebound to at least a .920 save percentage next season, or that contract is going to look downright stomach churning. The season he just had would be equivalent to Patrick Kane having a 15 point season @ 10.5 per.

I think he will be a bit better and we will have a better start to the season. However, the Defense is still not good and our forward group is still soft. Lets see what our roster looks like in September. Price can only do so much... what I would like from him is to stop the easy ones. If he can do that, I'm happy. Cause that's the part of his game that I don't like. He is a very smart goalie but the soft goals are a killer. A guy like Lindgren might allow more goals to NHL shooters but he is quick and stops the ones he should stop. Helps with team confidence. Price needs to keep it simple vs trying to be our savior. Trying to be our savior is not good for his game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad