Player Discussion Carey Price - Why Always Me? Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
One of the best goalies in the NHL - top 5
One of the top dmen in the league in Weber
10 million in cap space to spare

And we will be battling for the rights to draft Hughes next year..
But the food will be better in the arena.

Something didn't pan out in year 7 of Bergy's 5 yr plan.

That's the thing. This season was an anomaly for Price. I mean if he sucks again, sure. Of course if he sucks again he might also be done/on the decline, which is a HUGE problem for us with an 8 year contract.

If this season is an anomaly - short of an injury to Price, we're not going to be battling for #1 next year. Price is too good for that.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
That's the thing. This season was an anomaly for Price. I mean if he sucks again, sure. Of course if he sucks again he might also be done/on the decline, which is a HUGE problem for us with an 8 year contract.

If this season is an anomaly - short of an injury to Price, we're not going to be battling for #1 next year. Price is too good for that.

Price is that good, but when you have a team like that in front of you... it won't be pretty.

badbrains

Well Oiled Tank
Feb 1, 2016
ET
If you're Price do ask out at this point?

Does he care about winning a Cup or is a paycheck enough?

Has him and his wife had enough of the fishbowl that's surely gonna get more and more hostile over the next few seasons?

Reactions: mariolemieux66

Jabba11

Hockey Lobby
Nov 28, 2009
hockeylobby.blogspot.com
This man, is the only thing between us and Jack Hughes/lottery pick.

However, having this team ruined by Bergevin year after year and seeing PK Subban go, Markov disrespected, Galchenyuk never having his chance in Montreal, sometimes, we just have to remember the things we have and cherish them. And that, is that Carey Price is still a Montreal Canadiens.

He is our franchise player. While Toronto is stacking up front and all, we still have the best goalie in the world IMO. Not the most healthy one or injury free goaltender, but at his best, is the most dominant player in the world. Better than Crosby and McDavid.

I'm proud to have Price on our team and I hope he stays one for the rest of his career. Bring us the cup. He's a winner. We need to trust him.

Cheers

Reactions: Be a Hab

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O

However, having this team ruined by Bergevin year after year and seeing PK Subban go, Markov disrespected, Galchenyuk never having his chance in Montreal, sometimes, we just have to remember the things we have and cherish them. And that, is that Carey Price is still a Montreal Canadiens.

He is our franchise player. While Toronto is stacking up front and all, we still have the best goalie in the world IMO. Not the most healthy one or injury free goaltender, but at his best, is the most dominant player in the world. Better than Crosby and McDavid.

I'm proud to have Price on our team and I hope he stays one for the rest of his career. Bring us the cup. He's a winner. We need to trust him.

Cheers
I like price but I like the team even more. I just think that he's a hindrance for the habs right now. Needs to go imo. We have a good prospect behind him that needs to play too.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
If the losing continues for the next 2 years I wonder how much he would consider waiving his NMC for seattle if they come into the nhl in 2020-21.

Be a Hab

Sep 17, 2010
If the losing continues for the next 2 years I wonder how much he would consider waiving his NMC for seattle if they come into the nhl in 2020-21.

Why? We have a good goalie, why not keep him? I don’t understand why people want to trade so badly. Yes we are rebuilding, but I believe he can still be good later in he’s career. If we don’t keep our good players, I’m scared will end up like the oilers, so many high draft picks but could never buy It together. I don’t feel like rebuilding for the next decade.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Why? We have a good goalie, why not keep him? I don’t understand why people want to trade so badly. Yes we are rebuilding, but I believe he can still be good later in he’s career. If we don’t keep our good players, I’m scared will end up like the oilers, so many high draft picks but could never buy It together. I don’t feel like rebuilding for the next decade.

It's a matter of whether he wants out, not if the habs want to keep him. Price didn't sign up a year ago for 8 more years to be not in the playoffs.

Be a Hab

Sep 17, 2010
It's a matter of whether he wants out, not if the habs want to keep him. Price didn't sign up a year ago for 8 more years to be not in the playoffs.

I agree with you, not 8 years. If after 3 years of loosing and no signs of improving than yeah sure he might ask to leave but I’m hoping that after 2-3 years the habs will be competitive again.

Kent Nilsson

Imagine cringing at Brock Nelson like a moron
Jan 31, 2016

He could still be good in 3-4 years, or not. Id rather not take the chance and goalie is a very easy position to fill anyway. If we can ever trade his contract its right now (I doubt any team would take without massive retention though), not later on if he becomes a complete albatross. He can also be good enough to get us late top10ish picks instead of top 5.

In fact the only motives to keep him are corporate (put butts in the seats) which apparently is all that matters at this point.

InglewoodJack

Jun 10, 2009
Châteauguay

We'll be relegated to Jose Theodore purgatory where a great goalie and crap team lets us sneak in to the first round only to get smoked by a good team.

Be a Hab

Sep 17, 2010
He could still be good in 3-4 years, or not. Id rather not take the chance and goalie is a very easy position to fill anyway. If we can ever trade his contract its right now (I doubt any team would take without massive retention though), not later on if he becomes a complete albatross. He can also be good enough to get us late top10ish picks instead of top 5.

In fact the only motives to keep him are corporate (put butts in the seats) which apparently is all that matters at this point.

I disagree, finding a good goalie isn’t as easy as you say it is. There are multiple teams out there that are looking for solid goaltending. If we had a real good young goalie pushing price than maybe but we have no one to replace him. I think he’s still part of the long term solution.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Because his talents are wasted here. We won't be competitive for the next three years at a minimum. Over the course of that time he'll waste away some of his prime years on a bad roster. It's not good for him or us.

Trade him. Let him win somewhere else and we can take youth/picks in return and start over. It's win/win.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto

Easy to find a goalie, sure...but to find a legitimate #1 goalie? not as easy.

I'd rather take that chance and keep him.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Because his talents are wasted here. We won't be competitive for the next three years at a minimum. Over the course of that time he'll waste away some of his prime years on a bad roster. It's not good for him or us.

Trade him. Let him win somewhere else and we can take youth/picks in return and start over. It's win/win.

He isn't being traded for another year at least. Maybe if they finish bottom 5 this year and they're bad again in 2019-20 then during that year he could look to ask out and go elsewhere. He holds all the cards here, not the habs.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
He isn't being traded for another year at least. Maybe if they finish bottom 5 this year and they're bad again in 2019-20 then during that year he could look to ask out and go elsewhere. He holds all the cards here, not the habs.
It's not about if he's going to be traded or him holding cards... It's about what we should be doing with him. And you can't tell me he'd say no to a trade to a contender.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
It's not about if he's going to be traded or him holding cards... It's about what we should be doing with him. And you can't tell me he'd say no to a trade to a contender.

Oh I agree with the you, but I do believe that he wouldn't accept a trade to anywhere but the west coast

Nordiques1979

Nov 29, 2009
Laval QC

Cheers
yup, but you need good defense in front of him which clearly you don't have right now. Price won't score goals for you. You never saw a team win the cup with no offense but top goalie.

DXStriker

Nov 15, 2016
We are nowhere near the position PIT is in but I keep hearing people mention Price could be the Fleury in the Sea Expansion but there is a lot different lol
We dont have a Murray unless we are scare of losing Lindgren and PIT was ok with losing Fleury Cap for nothing because they won back to back cups and needed space lol
We could lose Price's Cap but I dont know about losing him for nothing lol His play would have to dip HARD and then why would SEA want him .

On a Sidenote and its unrelated but the SEA thing fascinates me with another Lockout looming lol I can't wait for Bettman to explain a lockout to a brand new team after taking 650 Million and an extra 500 Million from Vegas :)

Reactions: groovejuice

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Oh I agree with the you, but I do believe that he wouldn't accept a trade to anywhere but the west coast
I'd be surprised if he wouldn't want to get out of this fishbowl. It's one thing if we had a decent team but this roster sucks. The D in front of him is swiss cheese and it's not going to do anything but hurt him. I'd be shocked if he wouldn't accept a deal somewhere else.

loudi94

Master of my Domain
Jul 8, 2003
Alberta
I'd be surprised if he wouldn't want to get out of this fishbowl. It's one thing if we had a decent team but this roster sucks. The D in front of him is swiss cheese and it's not going to do anything but hurt him. I'd be shocked if he wouldn't accept a deal somewhere else.
I'll offer a different perspective. He has an eight year deal. A trade to a contender puts him in win now. With his salary, that will only last a few years before that team has to rebuild and he will have to move on again. He signed here for eight years even though the signs of a tire fire were already apparent. That was a decision that was made with family in mind. I'm sure that the discussion with management has already taken place and my guess is he has opted to stay. On the other hand I could be totally wrong and he gets moved tomorrow ;)

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
We are nowhere near the position PIT is in but I keep hearing people mention Price could be the Fleury in the Sea Expansion but there is a lot different lol
We dont have a Murray unless we are scare of losing Lindgren and PIT was ok with losing Fleury Cap for nothing because they won back to back cups and needed space lol
We could lose Price's Cap but I dont know about losing him for nothing lol His play would have to dip HARD and then why would SEA want him .

On a Sidenote and its unrelated but the SEA thing fascinates me with another Lockout looming lol I can't wait for Bettman to explain a lockout to a brand new team after taking 650 Million and an extra 500 Million from Vegas :)

The people who become NHL owners are typically exactly the ones who want lockouts, as they're invariably chipping away at player revenues.

It wouldn't be great timing for new franchises though, for certain.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I'll offer a different perspective. He has an eight year deal. A trade to a contender puts him in win now. With his salary, that will only last a few years before that team has to rebuild and he will have to move on again. He signed here for eight years even though the signs of a tire fire were already apparent. That was a decision that was made with family in mind. I'm sure that the discussion with management has already taken place and my guess is he has opted to stay. On the other hand I could be totally wrong and he gets moved tomorrow ;)
He signed that deal before Markov and Radulov left. He signed it before Weber got hurt and we had an abysmal season. The best thing for his family might be to get the hell out of dodge.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada

We offered him a ridiculous contract. He had absolutely no choice but to accept it. With his history of injuries waiting 1 year to test the UFA market could have mean losing 2-3 a year millions easily.

And he was right to sign as there's absolutely no way he would have got 10.5 millions this summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->