Player Discussion Carey Price - Why Always Me? Edition

Discussion in 'Montreal Canadiens' started by ahmedou, Feb 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
View Users: View Users
  1. peate

peate Good grief!

I agree Price's resumé is more impressive, but the situation remains the same. Win it all one year and then slowly lose it over time. Mental fatigue my ass, he's a prima donna, just like the other guy. :laugh:

We'll see next season if he can live up, or should I say play up to his salary. It remains to be seen...

sandviper and mariolemieux66 like this.
  2. Tourist

Tourist Registered User

I'm not saying the Habs don't have other holes. But for me, goaltending is a third of the battle and Price is in charge of that. Next year he will be the highest paid goalie in the world and this season he's been injured or played like one of the worst starters in the NHL. That's a massive problem. There is a clear issue with the top center position and the team is missing a top 4 left handed defenseman but saying that the Habs have no centers and no defensemen is exaggeration to me.

As for players in the wrong chair, that to me is for the most part a result of the lack of top center/top 4 defenseman mentioned above, it's not really an additional issue with the team.

Even if the team were to commit to a full rebuild a terrible/injured Price on that contract is a big problem. When his value is low, the prospects/picks obtained in a potential trade are not as good, which naturally in turn hurts this hypothetical rebuild.

3. mariolemieux66

mariolemieux66 Registered User

hehe...hehe!
    Price is a primadona. What did it for me is when he came back from a concussion a few weeks ago against Pittsburgh, he kept giving looks at the Penguins players after making routine saves, flashed the gloves on a shot that was 2 feet off the net just to get lit up for 5 goals. He tried showing the league he means business again and show the fans he is worth his new contract ahahahahah!
    At least when Roy gave Tomas Sandstrom a wink he went on to back it up with a Stanley cup.

bluetib and habsgirl5000 like this.
  4. Simarino

Simarino Registered User

How much would he cost if resign after this season?? 7.5M/7yrs ??? Or a bad season wouldnt affect his value that much???

5. Lafleurs Guy

Lafleurs Guy Global Moderator

It's only a massive problem if:

A) He sucks or is consistently hurt
    B) This team is good enough to win something.

The first is far from certain (I'd argue it's unlikely) and the 2nd is almost definite. He's far from our biggest problem.

6. mariolemieux66

hehe...hehe!
    Hard to tell, but a UFA to be at this past trade deadline, Price( retained at 50%) could have fetch a good return. Philadelphia could have thrown a 1st round pick and a couple a good prospects.

Ozymandias likes this.
  7. bsl

bsl Registered User

10. 5 mill eight years.

Genesis76 likes this.
  8. bsl

bsl Registered User

Cap goes up for every team. No team is going to spend 10.5 mill of it on their goalie.

9. nhlfan9191

nhlfan9191 Registered User

Considering Lundqvist and Rinne when they signed, how long do you think Price remains the highest with the cap rising? I get that Price happened to beat the double digit barrier but how long does that realistically last for you with the Las Vegas bringing up the cap substantially and Seattle soon?

ArsHabs and sandviper like this.
  10. sandviper

sandviper No Ragrets

What are you saying? You know how to look up a cap hit on the internet? Good job. I wasn’t talking about salary but about my own personal experiences. If you’re going to drop numbers out of context, at least make half an effort to frame your argument.

ArsHabs and nhlfan9191 like this.
  11. Tourist

Tourist Registered User

Naturally it's only a massive problem if he continues to suck or be injured. A full season is a decent sample size he's been injured or sucked the whole year. That is not encouraging at all. Maybe it's wishful thinking but kind of like you I think it's unlikely that he keeps this up for the duration of his contract but his performance is super important for this team.

Regarding B I disagree. Let's assume the team will be bad regardless (I don't really agree with that but it's not the point here). If Price is injured or sucks management can't even consider trading him for a good return because, well he's injured or sucks and has an enormous contract. That to me is a big problem if you want to start a rebuild. However, if Price goes back to playing well and the team still has bad results, at least the option to trade him for a good return that includes picks and prospects is there.

12. Subbanned

Subbanned Registered User

Yes I think his ego is interfering with his play a bit. Hopefully an off-season to reset and get focused for next year puts him in a better mindset.

13. mariolemieux66

hehe...hehe!
    We havent won anything with Price the last 11 years and now at 31 on a 8 years/10.5mil a season i want him gone.

bsl, habsgirl5000 and Ozymandias like this.
  14. Habs100

Habs100 Registered User

Seeing that Lunqvist and Holtby also had bad years, and seeing how goals are up big time from last year, and how some goalies are doing well, it makes me wonder if the game hasn't changed in a way that some goalies and their style, just aren't that good anymore.

I would try to trade Price to the Islanders. They need goaltending and have a lot of nice pieces (2 blue chip goalie prospects, 2 lottery picks, Beuvillier).

But Bergevin has made it clear a big part of his famous plan going forward is Carey Price. If Price really does continue to suck, his excuse will be: who could have predicted the best goalie in the world would have a bunch of down years? It wasn't possible to see, not my fault. Like it's not his fault Drouin actually wasn't as good as Radulov and didn't have chemistry with Pacioretty. Who could have seen it? Not his fault.

habsgirl5000 and mariolemieux66 like this.
  15. mariolemieux66

hehe...hehe!
    What's his value?

Realistically, which team could have serious interests?

Fleury would be better for our rebuilt than Price.

16. Da Grinder

Da Grinder Registered User

Very small value, almost a negative one. Nobody wants Price with his princess attitude and his horrible contract.

His track record in playoff is putrid too and the last season he had kind of ruin his value for good.

We are stuck with the guy.

17. mariolemieux66

hehe...hehe!
    Man oh man did Bergevin ever messed this up.

bluetib likes this.
  18. Shawnathon

Shawnathon Registered User

Price has had an average of .920+ since he was 25 and his stats have been good to very good in the playoffs since he’s come into his own. The question is has he had a real chance to win a SC with this franchise like other goaltenders who have a high reputation in the same time frame. He was abysmal against the Flyers in 08 and bad against Boston in 09. Played well despite losing in 2011 against the Boston Bruins. But he was fairly young and younger then most goalies are when they come into the league let alone the pressure of Montreal. My question is could Carey Price be a hero on another team had he been drafted by someone else or is he a bum? He seems to have one at every other level.

19. Kudo Shinichi

Kudo Shinichi Registered User

He's victim of a team that does not give him enough goal support

BLONG7 likes this.
  20. Be a Hab

Be a Hab Registered User

He was doing quite well in the 2014 playoff run until Kreider sabotage our chance at winning the Stanley Cup.

ToLegitToQuit likes this.
  21. TooLegitToQuit

TooLegitToQuit Loyal Habs Fan

Civil Engineering
    Combo of both. I think he rebounds but our D is average at best. Let’s see how it looks come September but probably doesn’t change.

If we struggle again next year, I can see him demanding a trade. This year was rough on him

22. Deluded Puck

Deluded Puck Registered User

Urban Planner
    Until we can score more than 1.8 gpg in the playoffs, I’m not looking at goaltending.

23. mariolemieux66

hehe...hehe!
    Yes Price would and should be a hero on another team. I hope he asks for a trade.

Cobra Commander likes this.
  24. BLONG7

BLONG7 Registered User

Home Page:
    Pretty much sums it up...............our offense over the last several years, has been bad. In the playoffs, it seems to have been worse...brutal.

25. Cobra Commander

Cobra Commander This team has no hope, Believe me...

Armchair GM
    Our Defense IS better den last year IF Carey would just do a better job at kicking de rebounds out to de forwards... Carey also has to get de better attitudes.

MB.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.