Player Discussion Carey Price - Why Always Me? Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
Jose Theodore won his trophies in controversial style, tying Roy for Vezina, and Iginla, whose team didn’t make the playoffs for Hart. He was also a second team Allstar that season behind Roy and Iginla won the Pearson(Lindsay). Theodore never received a single Vezina vote before that season, or the 11 seasons after. It was a fluke.

Price ran away with the awards winning everything including the Ted Lindsay, has finished top 5 in Vezina voting 4 times, top 7 in Hart twice, and has received Vezina votes in seven different seasons. Not to mention he has exact same number of career wins (286) as Theodore despite playing 6 less seasons. I’m not sure how anybody can even compare these two goalies other then they both won a Hart and Vezina. Ones in a completely different class.
I agree Price's resumé is more impressive, but the situation remains the same. Win it all one year and then slowly lose it over time. Mental fatigue my ass, he's a prima donna, just like the other guy. :laugh:

We'll see next season if he can live up, or should I say play up to his salary. It remains to be seen...

Tourist

Nov 26, 2014
It doesn't matter if he sucks for 8 years... he's still not close to being our biggest problem. The club is a mess overall and needs to be rebuilt. That can happen with our without Price making 10 mil.

We have no D. We have no centers. We use players in the wrong positions, are poorly put together and we've got a horrible GM. Those are way bigger problems than any one single player with a bad contract.

And all the above is assuming that Price sucks for the next eight years...

I'm not saying the Habs don't have other holes. But for me, goaltending is a third of the battle and Price is in charge of that. Next year he will be the highest paid goalie in the world and this season he's been injured or played like one of the worst starters in the NHL. That's a massive problem. There is a clear issue with the top center position and the team is missing a top 4 left handed defenseman but saying that the Habs have no centers and no defensemen is exaggeration to me.

As for players in the wrong chair, that to me is for the most part a result of the lack of top center/top 4 defenseman mentioned above, it's not really an additional issue with the team.

Even if the team were to commit to a full rebuild a terrible/injured Price on that contract is a big problem. When his value is low, the prospects/picks obtained in a potential trade are not as good, which naturally in turn hurts this hypothetical rebuild.

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
I agree Price's resumé is more impressive, but the situation remains the same. Win it all one year and then slowly lose it over time. Mental fatigue my ass, he's a prima donna, just like the other guy. :laugh:

We'll see next season if he can live up, or should I say play up to his salary. It remains to be seen...
Price is a primadona. What did it for me is when he came back from a concussion a few weeks ago against Pittsburgh, he kept giving looks at the Penguins players after making routine saves, flashed the gloves on a shot that was 2 feet off the net just to get lit up for 5 goals. He tried showing the league he means business again and show the fans he is worth his new contract ahahahahah!
At least when Roy gave Tomas Sandstrom a wink he went on to back it up with a Stanley cup.

Simarino

Oct 21, 2009
How much would he cost if resign after this season?? 7.5M/7yrs ??? Or a bad season wouldnt affect his value that much???

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I'm not saying the Habs don't have other holes. But for me, goaltending is a third of the battle and Price is in charge of that. Next year he will be the highest paid goalie in the world and this season he's been injured or played like one of the worst starters in the NHL. That's a massive problem.
It's only a massive problem if:

A) He sucks or is consistently hurt
B) This team is good enough to win something.

The first is far from certain (I'd argue it's unlikely) and the 2nd is almost definite. He's far from our biggest problem.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
Price is struggling and as a fan, it pains me to say he's been generally poor this season.

However, I will still take the position that a lot of his struggles have to do with the defence (whole team) in front of him. I've played goal a few times in my minor hockey career (house level sure, but my point remains) and when you have no confidence in your team, you are forced to make decisions that you may not had before. If I was facing a shooter and I had a strong defender covering his guy, I knew I can just focus on the shooter. Sure, stopping him is another matter, but I didn't have to worry about anything else.

If that defence was bad (it was house, they all were usually), I had to be concerned about the shot or passing options. I wouldn't be able to commit or I'd over-commit.

Don't get me wrong, Price should be stopping more than he is. My feeling though is he's probably taking on more mentally than he should be and probably is having self doubt and lack of confidence. That said, I'm sure he is missing a defence that can transition a lot better from defence to offence, let alone a defence that can play defence.

Sure, they are pro athletes and blah, blah... anyone here that played organized sports, competitive or not, probably know what I am talking about.
10. 5 mill eight years.

Reactions: Genesis76

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
I few things, I don't totally hate the contract, the term is not great, but the cap will be going up so the cap hit isn't that terrible and I'm sure he'll rebound. That being said, it's not fair for us to expect 2013 to 2017 Price, that stretch is just under 200 games, sure he was lights out during that stretch, best in the game, but he did have over 300 games played before that, during that stretch he was just about a scratch goalie - .915%. That was good, but hardly spectacular. I don't think he's as bad as the 50 games since, but if he puts up a 2.45 GAA and a .918 SV% next year, should we be disappointed? He's career SV% has now slipped to .918... about the same as over a dozen other goalies who have played over 350 games since he entered the league.
Cap goes up for every team. No team is going to spend 10.5 mill of it on their goalie.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Cap goes up for every team. No team is going to spend 10.5 mill of it on their goalie.

Considering Lundqvist and Rinne when they signed, how long do you think Price remains the highest with the cap rising? I get that Price happened to beat the double digit barrier but how long does that realistically last for you with the Las Vegas bringing up the cap substantially and Seattle soon?

Tourist

Nov 26, 2014
It's only a massive problem if:

A) He sucks or is consistently hurt
B) This team is good enough to win something.

The first is far from certain (I'd argue it's unlikely) and the 2nd is almost definite. He's far from our biggest problem.

Naturally it's only a massive problem if he continues to suck or be injured. A full season is a decent sample size he's been injured or sucked the whole year. That is not encouraging at all. Maybe it's wishful thinking but kind of like you I think it's unlikely that he keeps this up for the duration of his contract but his performance is super important for this team.

Regarding B I disagree. Let's assume the team will be bad regardless (I don't really agree with that but it's not the point here). If Price is injured or sucks management can't even consider trading him for a good return because, well he's injured or sucks and has an enormous contract. That to me is a big problem if you want to start a rebuild. However, if Price goes back to playing well and the team still has bad results, at least the option to trade him for a good return that includes picks and prospects is there.

Subbanned

Nov 4, 2011
Price is a primadona. What did it for me is when he came back from a concussion a few weeks ago against Pittsburgh, he kept giving looks at the Penguins players after making routine saves, flashed the gloves on a shot that was 2 feet off the net just to get lit up for 5 goals. He tried showing the league he means business again and show the fans he is worth his new contract ahahahahah!
At least when Roy gave Tomas Sandstrom a wink he went on to back it up with a Stanley cup.

Yes I think his ego is interfering with his play a bit. Hopefully an off-season to reset and get focused for next year puts him in a better mindset.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
We havent won anything with Price the last 11 years and now at 31 on a 8 years/10.5mil a season i want him gone.

Seeing that Lunqvist and Holtby also had bad years, and seeing how goals are up big time from last year, and how some goalies are doing well, it makes me wonder if the game hasn't changed in a way that some goalies and their style, just aren't that good anymore.

I would try to trade Price to the Islanders. They need goaltending and have a lot of nice pieces (2 blue chip goalie prospects, 2 lottery picks, Beuvillier).

But Bergevin has made it clear a big part of his famous plan going forward is Carey Price. If Price really does continue to suck, his excuse will be: who could have predicted the best goalie in the world would have a bunch of down years? It wasn't possible to see, not my fault. Like it's not his fault Drouin actually wasn't as good as Radulov and didn't have chemistry with Pacioretty. Who could have seen it? Not his fault.

Pat Riot

Sep 30, 2017
What's his value?

Realistically, which team could have serious interests?

Fleury would be better for our rebuilt than Price.

Very small value, almost a negative one. Nobody wants Price with his princess attitude and his horrible contract.

His track record in playoff is putrid too and the last season he had kind of ruin his value for good.

We are stuck with the guy.

Shawnathon

Jul 25, 2012
Price has had an average of .920+ since he was 25 and his stats have been good to very good in the playoffs since he’s come into his own. The question is has he had a real chance to win a SC with this franchise like other goaltenders who have a high reputation in the same time frame. He was abysmal against the Flyers in 08 and bad against Boston in 09. Played well despite losing in 2011 against the Boston Bruins. But he was fairly young and younger then most goalies are when they come into the league let alone the pressure of Montreal. My question is could Carey Price be a hero on another team had he been drafted by someone else or is he a bum? He seems to have one at every other level.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Combo of both. I think he rebounds but our D is average at best. Let’s see how it looks come September but probably doesn’t change.

If we struggle again next year, I can see him demanding a trade. This year was rough on him

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
Price has had an average of .920+ since he was 25 and his stats have been good to very good in the playoffs since he’s come into his own. The question is has he had a real chance to win a SC with this franchise like other goaltenders who have a high reputation in the same time frame. He was abysmal against the Flyers in 08 and bad against Boston in 09. Played well despite losing in 2011 against the Boston Bruins. But he was fairly young and younger then most goalies are when they come into the league let alone the pressure of Montreal. My question is could Carey Price be a hero on another team had he been drafted by someone else or is he a bum? He seems to have one at every other level.
Yes Price would and should be a hero on another team. I hope he asks for a trade.

Reactions: Cobra Commander

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
Our Defense IS better den last year IF Carey would just do a better job at kicking de rebounds out to de forwards... Carey also has to get de better attitudes.

MB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad