Player Discussion Carey Price - Who's Your Daddy? Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
If Price keeps it up, he should easily be a Vezina candidate. He's still the best goalie in the world and isn't going to change anytime soon.
He will have to put up insane numbers the rest of the way for him to win.

It's night and day since Weber came back though. I'd love to see it. Even if he got a nomination it would be sweet to see.

Last edited:

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
This year actually reminds me of the year prior to his Vezina year, he was crap before the Olympics and came back burned the league and got a nom for the vezina.
Last year he really was inconsistent. This season though he's been way better than his numbers suggested. It's not a surprise at all that he'd rebound.

What is kind of crazy is just how hot he is right now. It's one thing to rebound to .915 or .920 but he's putting up .930 type numbers now.

Reactions: jaffy27

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
This year actually reminds me of the year prior to his Vezina year, he was crap before the Olympics and came back burned the league and got a nom for the vezina.

I’d say it resembles Theodore’s 02 season more then anything, and that’s not a comparison of the two goalies themselves. Average start the first two months and red hot the rest of the way. That being said, there’s still a lot of season left and maintaining .930 goaltending is uncommon over a large stretch of time. Going on almost two months of if it super impressive. Hopefully he keeps it up.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
I'm happy Price is back to form and I know what I'll say next has little chance of happening, but considering the mental problems he's had in the last few years, the reminder of his contract is a scary thought. Sure, I wouldn't trade him just to trade him, but if the ransom is high enough, somebody with a serious need and serious offer, I would try to get rid of that contract.

Reactions: nhlfan9191

Uncle Gary

Apr 12, 2014
Looking at the highlights from last night and saw the Jackets hit a couple posts. When Price is on his game that seems to happen quite often. Really gets into the heads of the shooters.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
He will have to put up insane numbers the rest of the way for him to win.

It's night and day since Weber came back though. I'd love to see it. Even if he got a nomination it would be sweet to see.

Two seasons ago, Price had a terrible end of December, January, and start of February. Right before the bye-week and MT's firing. When they came back from that break and with CJ, Price put up Price-like numbers. Despite his terrible 2-month play, he earned a Vezina nomination. I could see that happen again this year.

Also, this season, his bad play was at the start, further away from memory than last time around when it will come time to put the votes in for the nominations.

Also must add that Weber's return to the line-up has made the defense so much better. They have guys in the right spot. Even Benn is playing great in his proper position. Mete's looking great next to Weber, too.

Last edited:

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Looking at the highlights from last night and saw the Jackets hit a couple posts. When Price is on his game that seems to happen quite often. Really gets into the heads of the shooters.

Pretty much. They're looking for the absolute perfect shot, which they miss more than they score. A post could be either complete luck or that a goalie covers his angles so well, that the only path to get the puck past him is to hit the post.

There have been quite a few posts for Niemi, as well.

It feels real good to know both goalies are currently hot.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Last year he really was inconsistent. This season though he's been way better than his numbers suggested. It's not a surprise at all that he'd rebound.

What is kind of crazy is just how hot he is right now. It's one thing to rebound to .915 or .920 but he's putting up .930 type numbers now.

What is kind of crazy is that he's putting those numbers without a decent defense in front of him. I still wonder how good he could be with another real NHL d-men on the left side.

As for last year, after the terrible start and losing Weber, i think everybody knew on that team that the season was over. Kind of hard to perform when you know there's nothing you can do to win anything or even make the PO. That goes for Price and everybody else on that team. You have to play the games but there was no fun anymore, just going through the motions until the season's finally ends.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
I'm happy Price is back to form and I know what I'll say next has little chance of happening, but considering the mental problems he's had in the last few years, the reminder of his contract is a scary thought. Sure, I wouldn't trade him just to trade him, but if the ransom is high enough, somebody with a serious need and serious offer, I would try to get rid of that contract.

Yeah that's not out of the possibility. Have of wait a little though to make sure he's really back to top form....but if he is, than that offer must be out of this world. First round pick + top prospect + good roster player would not be even close to what he's would be worth to the a team.

IF he's completely back to form.....a franchise player must come the other way...like Matthews.

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick

Fwiw I wouldn't call fatigue a "mental problem".

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
So much of goaltending is confidence... not just confidence in yourself, but confidence in the guys in front of you.

Genesis76

True Leader
May 3, 2013
I’d say it resembles Theodore’s 02 season more then anything, and that’s not a comparison of the two goalies themselves. Average start the first two months and red hot the rest of the way. That being said, there’s still a lot of season left and maintaining .930 goaltending is uncommon over a large stretch of time. Going on almost two months of if it super impressive. Hopefully he keeps it up.

Its very much doable

However if he collapses again (not counting injurys) I think we could all agree theres an issue outside the ice.

The D is obviously not preventing him from doing the saves

Reactions: nhlfan9191

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Fwiw I wouldn't call fatigue a "mental problem".

Grand fatigue is a NEURO-endocrinological problem/deregulation. Dopamine, epinephrine and glucocorticoids are the principale agents for whenever your nervous system activates above resting levels, meaning anytime you do something physical or stressful. All of these are managed by parts of your brain (hippocampus, the four major dopaminergic pathways, amygdala, pineal gland, hypothalamus and so on). Same thing if it's a problem of suractivation of melatonine and other sleep related activators and inhibitors of the nervous system (endorphine and so on).

So yeah, I would definitely call it a mental problem.

Good news is he got out of it, bad news is that he's more likely of living through it again. It's neuroplasticity. Same as with depression and addictions. As anything related to the amygdala and the dopaminergic pathways.

Reactions: groovejuice

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Carey's back. Yes, Weber is too...but anybody who actually watch him play sees that the technique in itself is back.
said as such on the main board. Weber's presence seems to allow him to lock in again and get the form and technique perfect like it was when we had a healthy defense group in front of him. With only one top-4 defenseman in front of him while Weber was out, it seemed like he was in his own head and trying to overcompensate and do too much and it just did more harm than good.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Two seasons ago, Price had a terrible end of December, January, and start of February. Right before the bye-week and MT's firing. When they came back from that break and with CJ, Price put up Price-like numbers. Despite his terrible 2-month play, he earned a Vezina nomination. I could see that happen again this year.

Also, this season, his bad play was at the start, further away from memory than last time around when it will come time to put the votes in for the nominations.

Also must add that Weber's return to the line-up has made the defense so much better. They have guys in the right spot. Even Benn is playing great in his proper position. Mete's looking great next to Weber, too.
I still dispute that his play was bad. He had a few bad games but I still argue that he played as well as he could behind that D.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Its very much doable

However if he collapses again (not counting injurys) I think we could all agree theres an issue outside the ice.

The D is obviously not preventing him from doing the saves

He’s capable of a lot which is why he’s elite. The defense is doing him no favours right now. But he is showing he has that extra level to cover it up still. He lost that ability to play at extreme highs for abnormal periods of time the past couple of years. What he’s showing right now is that’s still possible. Defense still needs to be a lot better then they have been for a few weeks now. Our goalies aren’t going to steal every single for them.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
I still dispute that his play was bad. He had a few bad games but I still argue that he played as well as he could behind that D.

I agree with that but it's hard for many....they considered that Price is "too fast on his knees" on every top corner shots and think it's a bad technic while it is the technic a goalie should use to cover as much space as possible.

But here's Game #1 highlights where you see Price as good and spectular as he is now.
Price had a couple of weeks down with an injury and at some point, no goalie could have save that defense.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
His numbers since Dec 1 have been pretty much top in the league. Especially for the number of games he plays, nobody comes close.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Grand fatigue is a NEURO-endocrinological problem/deregulation. Dopamine, epinephrine and glucocorticoids are the principale agents for whenever your nervous system activates above resting levels, meaning anytime you do something physical or stressful. All of these are managed by parts of your brain (hippocampus, the four major dopaminergic pathways, amygdala, pineal gland, hypothalamus and so on). Same thing if it's a problem of suractivation of melatonine and other sleep related activators and inhibitors of the nervous system (endorphine and so on).

So yeah, I would definitely call it a mental problem.

Good news is he got out of it, bad news is that he's more likely of living through it again. It's neuroplasticity. Same as with depression and addictions. As anything related to the amygdala and the dopaminergic pathways.
Both kinds of fatigue exist, mental and physical.
Made no sense for Carey to be physically tired this early.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Everything physical is also mental as your nervous system is an extention of your brain
Everything gets sent to the brain, I get it, my point is muscle exhaustion and mental fatigure are different.
Reduced glycogen is not a mental perception.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Everything gets sent to the brain, I get it, my point is muscle exhaustion and mental fatigure are different.
Reduced glycogen is not a mental perception.

Everything is a cascade that starts in the nervous ssystem.

Know from what I know, Price's nutritionist says Price had defficiencies in vitamins D and B12.

They've supplemented him, but that doesn't mean they have found the underlying problem and it's probably a neuroendocrinological one, as is mostly the case in the majority of cases of mental/chronic fatigue. The good news is that they'll keep on monitoring him, doesn't mean he's completely out of the woods, because the underlying problem is one of metabolisation. He might have had epigenetic effects when certain energy crisis arose that were out of his usual norms, that culminated slowly to the state he was in last year, and the onset came with the stress of early parenthood as it is often the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad